BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-30-2021, 05:33 AM   #1
RosscoeP
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e 2018
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

What to do with my BMW 330e F30

Hi all,

I bought a 2018 F30 330e Shadow Edition at the end of last year and since then i've added the basic M Performance kit and changed the wheels to ones that i've been keen on for a while, i've also unplugged the exhaust flap to get a little more sound too.

While still being a little practical (not wanting to drive excessively fast or wreck anything on speed bumps) can anyone recommend what I should do next to the car? I don't have a lot of budget and i'm not very skilled at anything DIY but I can use local garages. I've looked at things online but not sure what can be done or is a good idea.

Some things i'm interested in is perhaps making the car look more aggressive, maybe a little more powerful, having a bit more sound. Ideas i've had are coding (is this okay to do with a hybrid or does it create sync issues between the two engines), putting new exhaust tail pipes on (though can't see evidence anywhere of 330e tail pipes being able to come off), or of course adding more bodykit like bigger skirt or diffuser or even the bonnet (I am conscious of all the speed bumps on Edinburgh streets).

If anyone has a moment to share any thoughts or experiences that would be very much appreciated. I would like to do an addition or two to the car but not sure what to do or what can be done. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Fritzer858.00
      07-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2462
Rep
3,530
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

I can't help you visually. You can code the car (I had my 2016 330e coded as well as my current 530e). I had mine coded to use the Alpina display so that now I have a tach up all the time. On my current car, when it goes from pure electric to using the ICE, it is so smooth that I don't even realize it until the tach shoots up.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
RosscoeP
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e 2018
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Thanks SteveinArizona ... certainly i'm considering coding but just not sure as I don't go overly fast often though do enjoy extra torque!

Can I ask as you've mentioned coding... so the petrol engine and electric engine still work together even with the petrol part boosted? I wasn't sure if having the engine changed would affect or risk issues with being out of sych with the electric part.

Do you get better economy from the petrol engine after the remapping? I have read that you do but wonder if you have seen evidence of it

My only other concern about coding is insurance but everyone says insurance companies can't detect it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2462
Rep
3,530
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
Thanks SteveinArizona ... certainly i'm considering coding but just not sure as I don't go overly fast often though do enjoy extra torque!

Can I ask as you've mentioned coding... so the petrol engine and electric engine still work together even with the petrol part boosted? I wasn't sure if having the engine changed would affect or risk issues with being out of sych with the electric part.

Do you get better economy from the petrol engine after the remapping? I have read that you do but wonder if you have seen evidence of it

My only other concern about coding is insurance but everyone says insurance companies can't detect it
I coded my car for things like the alpina display but i did not do anything that impacted on the ICE. I have seen other posts where people have apparently successfully done that but I have not.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
858
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California -> Austin, Texas

iTrader: (3)

I'm so jealous of these European and UK dudes posting their cool, non-M slicktop cars. They don't know how good they got it!
__________________
2011 E90 328i, 1995 E34 530i, 1992 E32 740i, 1991 E34 525i
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #6
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
858
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California -> Austin, Texas

iTrader: (3)

In terms of engine performance, I'm really not too familiar with the "e" cars. I would wager that maybe a simple tune would be fine, but anything past that could mess with the powertrain. Or it could not, I just really don't know and I doubt many do for sure. Although I bet some simple bolt-ons to help the car breathe a bit better would be fine. Intake, exhaust etc.

Past that, here are the other simple things I would do from looking at your car;

-Even though they aren't OEM, I think BMW roundels in the wheels would bring the car together.
-I notice in other markets that they put the ///M logo all over the place on the cars even if it's just a 330 M sport etc. I would debadge all the badges, on the trunk, C pillar "e" badges, especially the M badges on the front fenders.
-Trunklid spoiler
-If you like carbon fiber, you could all the way and do; Front spoiler/lip, kidney grilles, side mirrors, shark fin, trunklid spoiler, rear diffuser. All in carbon fiber.
-Depending what you want/how much you're willing to spend, you could improve the suspension as well. But it is likely fine as-is, especially with the height of the suspension currently/your intended uses.

Can't really think of anything else, car seems pretty solid. Those wheels look quite nice, decent manufacturer?
__________________
2011 E90 328i, 1995 E34 530i, 1992 E32 740i, 1991 E34 525i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
3086
Rep
3,164
Posts

Drives: F87 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Part of the fun of modding cars is making it your own. I would encourage you to determine what means the most to do you. Is it visual changes? Interior? Handling? Speed? Sound? Possibilities are endless, find what speaks to you.

From there members can provided feedback based on your needs, but I would try to figure out what you want from the car.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
RosscoeP
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e 2018
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Thanks pz619 that is very good idea... I should probably be sure of that myself, but it would definitely help with any suggestions! I think i'm going for looks rather than performance as that is safer on the car and also the driving licence points too!

Thanks also Fritzer those are great suggestions and you clearly know your stuff. Certainly I have wondered about the trunklid spoiler so that is an option. I would like to lower the suspension slightly but where live there are a lot of speed bumps so I need to consider scraping my front skirt. As for the remapping, indeed i'm unsure about doing that let alone whether it's necessary versus risks to the engine and related parts. The wheels are Veemann which I believe are good quality and the seem to be from my limited expertise, some people think the different wheels style looks good on this car and some don't (like my own 10 year old son!) but this wheels style is something i've always liked on almost any car!

Thanks for your time to reply guys, much appreciated. I'll have a think and definitely some good suggestions for me to consider and explore so thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Fritzer858.00
      08-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #9
MikeHawknU
New Member
MikeHawknU's Avatar
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW E60 525i 5 Series
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: California,U.S.A

iTrader: (0)

hr\ello helloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I coded my car for things like the alpina display but i did not do anything that impacted on the ICE. I have seen other posts where people have apparently successfully done that but I have not.
hellloooo
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
Fritzer's Avatar
No_Country
858
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, California -> Austin, Texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
Certainly I have wondered about the trunklid spoiler so that is an option.
Yeah just look on ECS Tuning or Turner or some BMW modification website. All of them have different versions/variations. The basic M3 one or the BMW Performance ones are what I prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
I would like to lower the suspension slightly but where live there are a lot of speed bumps so I need to consider scraping my front skirt.
Honestly, the car looks fine as low as it is right now, I think. You will get negligible improvement in handling. You don't need it any lower, I think it's perfect. Especially in Edinburgh, those roads are really rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
As for the remapping, indeed i'm unsure about doing that let alone whether it's necessary versus risks to the engine and related parts
A basic ECU tune, throttle re-map, and maybe a transmission re-map wouldn't put significantly noticeable extra wear on the components. But if you just get the basic package of mapping and a slight engine tune, you will not even notice it in terms of wear. But for that car, it will be night and day in terms of performance. Seriously.

The one thing that I am unsure of is the hybrid nature of the car being a 330e. You should do research/check with a tuner if there will be any complications with the hybrid system. I have a feeling it won't be an issue at all, but better to be safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
The wheels are Veemann which I believe are good quality and the seem to be from my limited expertise, some people think the different wheels style looks good on this car and some don't (like my own 10 year old son!) but this wheels style is something i've always liked on almost any car!
Haven't heard of that company. They look quite nice, hopefully not too heavy! Are they 20"?
__________________
2011 E90 328i, 1995 E34 530i, 1992 E32 740i, 1991 E34 525i
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
RosscoeP
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e 2018
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Yeah just look on ECS Tuning or Turner or some BMW modification website. All of them have different versions/variations. The basic M3 one or the BMW Performance ones are what I prefer.

Honestly, the car looks fine as low as it is right now, I think. You will get negligible improvement in handling. You don't need it any lower, I think it's perfect. Especially in Edinburgh, those roads are really rough.

A basic ECU tune, throttle re-map, and maybe a transmission re-map wouldn't put significantly noticeable extra wear on the components. But if you just get the basic package of mapping and a slight engine tune, you will not even notice it in terms of wear. But for that car, it will be night and day in terms of performance. Seriously.

The one thing that I am unsure of is the hybrid nature of the car being a 330e. You should do research/check with a tuner if there will be any complications with the hybrid system. I have a feeling it won't be an issue at all, but better to be safe than sorry!


Haven't heard of that company. They look quite nice, hopefully not too heavy! Are they 20"?


Thanks for the link to the body kit supplier, i'll look into that and others and consider the trunk spoiler!

You are right about the roads in Edinburgh, just awful... relatives that come to stay are always shocked by them! You are also right that I probably can't get much lower anyway.

I'm asking around about the remapping to see if there's a risk to the sync of the two engines together, hopefully one of the specialists around the country will know and can confirm once and for all

Yeah the Veemanns are good and I thought they were heavy, but then I held my 740s which were so much heavier! The Veemann wheels are good for sure and not too expensive, they aren't stocked around that much but I found a place who shipped them for very little... the ones i've got are 20" and not much more than the original 19" but that's fine.

Thanks a lot for all your insight and opinions... you know your stuff definitely
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Soopmippur
Registered
Canada
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: my horse
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post
Hi all,

I bought a 2018 F30 330e Shadow Edition at the end of last year and since then i've added the basic M Performance kit and changed the wheels to ones that i've been keen on for a while, i've also unplugged the exhaust flap to get a little more sound too.

While still being a little practical (not wanting to drive excessively fast or wreck anything on speed bumps) can anyone recommend what I should do next to the car? I don't have a lot of budget and i'm not very skilled at anything DIY but I can use local garages. I've looked at things online but not sure what can be done or is a good idea.

Some things i'm interested in is perhaps making the car look more aggressive, maybe a little more powerful, having a bit more sound. Ideas i've had are coding (is this okay to do with a hybrid or does it create sync issues between the two engines), putting new exhaust tail pipes on (though can't see evidence anywhere of 330e tail pipes being able to come off), or of course adding more bodykit like bigger skirt or diffuser or even the bonnet (I am conscious of all the speed bumps on Edinburgh streets).

If anyone has a moment to share any thoughts or experiences that would be very much appreciated. I would like to do an addition or two to the car but not sure what to do or what can be done. Thanks in advance!
Still good to sell it.
__________________
The most famous and most popular gaming platform. every day new users join who want to try ultimate slot gameplay!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #13
Phill-330e
New Member
5
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 3303 M sport
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Clare,Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Have you considered mgflasher?
https://www.mgflasher.com/
Did it to mine recently, stage 1 remap. Huge change to performance, which was already quick.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #14
RosscoeP
New Member
11
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e 2018
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-330e View Post
Have you considered mgflasher?
https://www.mgflasher.com/
Did it to mine recently, stage 1 remap. Huge change to performance, which was already quick.

Thanks @Phill-330e i've seen others talking about that, and in terms of remapping the MGFlasher seems to be the best... I like that you can turn it on or off, so when selling the car you could put it back to stock settings.

Did you install yours yourself or did you get a garage to do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
Phill-330e
New Member
5
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 3303 M sport
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Clare,Ireland

iTrader: (0)

sorry for late response!
yes can turn it on or off via your phone and the obd adapter within 2 minutes, theres about 30 people i know in a group, mix of 330e and 530e owners and not an issue amongst us.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
1533
Rep
11,903
Posts

Drives: Z4M, X3 35i, 328xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (92)

Garage List
Invest in some track time, best way to enjoy the car and you’ll quickly realize where money is best spent

How do you like the car? After my i3 lease went up I was considering getting one of these. But with long term remote work, have not needed commuter car yet.
__________________
Follow for latest mods
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
330e, body kit, shadow edition

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST