BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe M Sport

rear window glitch

Has anyone else had a problem with the rear windows not rolling up sometimes? There seems to be a glitch the causes the window to go halfway up and then go back down on it's own. I'm trying avoid another trip to the dealer for warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W84IT View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with the rear windows not rolling up sometimes? There seems to be a glitch the causes the window to go halfway up and then go back down on it's own. I'm trying avoid another trip to the dealer for warranty work.
Why avoid warranty work let them fix it may be the motor in the window faulty
Appreciate 1
W84IT20.00
      06-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
I actually just got it back from the dealer today and they thought that they fixed the problem but it still exist. I was told that the window lost initialization and it had to be reset but that apparently didn't work.
The dealership is about a 1 hour round trip...although they provide loaner vehicles, they kept ours for 5 days and it was outside in the hot sun most of that time...we live in the desert and our cars are always garage kept for good reason...the desert sun can really do damage to a vehicle over time so we try to keep our vehicles out of the sun as much as possible. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with the rear windows of their Gran Coupe. I'll definitely take it back to the dealer if I have to but it would also be helpful if I can give them an idea of what the problem could be...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #4
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Exclamation

I have had this problem, though mine is a convertible. It's actually going back to the dealer for teh 2nd time on this issue next week.

I too got the spiel about failed initialisation, blah, blah, blah. But the problem persisted and the "Anti-trap Malfunction" code & message appear.

They are now swapping out the window motors, supposedly.

It has occurred on all 5 windows, but mostly the right-rear quarter window seems to act up the most.
Appreciate 1
W84IT20.00
      06-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightAero View Post
I have had this problem, though mine is a convertible. It's actually going back to the dealer for teh 2nd time on this issue next week.

I too got the spiel about failed initialisation, blah, blah, blah. But the problem persisted and the "Anti-trap Malfunction" code & message appear.

They are now swapping out the window motors, supposedly.

It has occurred on all 5 windows, but mostly the right-rear quarter window seems to act up the most.
I have a convertible too. my rears stop all the time. When the car was covered I took it in and they they did the whole "initialize" routine. Should be noted that although the six seems to have issues about 15% of the time I have had this issue on my e60 and my z4 as well. The only thing that seems to make a difference is cleaning out the area where the window goes with a microfiber. If there is anything in there the window will stop, but even if there isn't the top will often disengage.

It stinks on a convertible because you assume the windows will close after the top coses. Then you realize the window is down and thank god it didn't rain.
Appreciate 1
W84IT20.00
      06-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

i seem to get this now and then with my front window, no errors just acts up now and then

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 1
W84IT20.00
      07-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #7
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Same here on my 640.

Drivers window only it seems. Wound the window all the way down and kept the button held down for a while, then did the same winding up (as I seemed to recall this was the resetting procedure on older ones!).

Worked ok for a while, but does it randomly every now and then still.
      07-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, we decided to take the Gran Coupe back to the dealer on 7/9/18...It has been there since then. I did call the service tech on 7/12/18 to get the status of the vehicle and he told me that new regulators had to be ordered for both rear windows. I really don't like when they start taking things apart because most of the time, that's when you start to hear noises. The car has a very quiet interior so I just hope that they put things back together nice and tight like it has always been. They gave us a pretty nice 2019 X3 s-drive 30i loaner vehicle but my wife says that it doesn't compare to the 640i Gran Coupe...can't wait to get it back.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

update...

We just got the 640i back today! The dealer ended up replacing both rear window motors/drive for window lifter...all covered under warranty. Everything seems to be working fine now!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W84IT View Post
Quote:
I actually just got it back from the dealer today and they thought that they fixed the problem but it still exist. I was told that the window lost initialization and it had to be reset but that apparently didn't work.
The dealership is about a 1 hour round trip...although they provide loaner vehicles, they kept ours for 5 days and it was outside in the hot sun most of that time...we live in the desert and our cars are always garage kept for good reason...the desert sun can really do damage to a vehicle over time so we try to keep our vehicles out of the sun as much as possible. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with the rear windows of their Gran Coupe. I'll definitely take it back to the dealer if I have to but it would also be helpful if I can give them an idea of what the problem could be...
When the dealer have your car there are request that can be asked for example tell them you would like your car under there shop bc of the sun, only the foreman working on your car if they don't follow your local dmv has a complaint form u fill it out n complain I'm going through it now with BMW of Brooklyn u can look on they Facebook page I'm ripping them apart dmv is coming to look at my car on a repair they did to my car on Monday I REFUSE TO LET THESE DEALERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME ANYMORE lol
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When the dealer have your car there are request that can be asked for example tell them you would like your car under there shop bc of the sun, only the foreman working on your car if they don't follow your local dmv has a complaint form u fill it out n complain I'm going through it now with BMW of Brooklyn u can look on they Facebook page I'm ripping them apart dmv is coming to look at my car on a repair they did to my car on Monday I REFUSE TO LET THESE DEALERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME ANYMORE lol
I'll keep that in mind the next time we take it in for any type of repair/warranty work. My wife also just noticed a scuff in the leather on the rear seat...the seats were also a little dirty so it seems like there were parts placed on the seat as they took the door panels off to replace the window motors.

Last edited by W84IT; 07-19-2018 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #12
JakeBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i Xdrive GC -Carbon Bk

Garage List
Don't have this problem on my 2016 650 but do on my 1998 M3 convertible. I have to hold the button while I roll it up or down.