BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
DMarks57
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX GC

650ix 20" Non-RFT Set-up/Spare

Looking for current input on a reliable solution to the RFT/Non-RFT debate. I personally can't stand the RFT tire and am amazed BMW selected them for the design of such a great sports car. I hate the ride, the noise and the fragile nature of these wheels and switched over to Non-RFTs. Now the challenge is find a wheel/tire/spare set-up that I can count on.

While I love the look and ride of the 20" wheels, I'm not convinced the tire manufacturers have developed a strong enough sidewall to protect from even a modest pothole impact and the 20" wheel maybe an inch too far for reliability.

* Tire Repair Kit - Great if you have a puncture...useless on a side wall tear that is THE most common failure due to pot holes.

* Road Hazard Insurance - An ABSOLUTE must.

* Ride Settings - As much as I love the running Sport setting, I feel the firmer shock settings INCREASES the likely hood of sidewall damage when you hit a pothole. In the winter months I've decided to run the Comfort + suspension to help absorb some of the impact.

* Spare Tire - Right now I'm planning on buying a full sized 20" spare (required with XDrive) and carry a front wheel size of the standard staggered size set-up. I have not been able to locate a 20" space saving spare setup and welcome any input from the forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMarks57 View Post
* Spare Tire - Right now I'm planning on buying a full sized 20" spare ***(required with XDrive)*** and carry a front wheel size of the standard staggered size set-up. I have not been able to locate a 20" space saving spare setup and welcome any input from the forum.
I'm not sure if the premise you're holding is correct. What xDrive requires is to have wheel/tire combos that have the same overall rolling diameter/circumference...which means any of the BMW recommended tire sizes BMW mentions in the F06 owners manual and tire inflation chart on the door will all be within the allowable 3% (+/-) specification.

The list of BMW recommended tire sizes in the owners manual and the tire inflation label on the driver's door jamb...should give you a good reference as to other wheel/tire sizes you can use. You should be able to mount the wheel/tire combos below (verify with your own owners manual or inflation label on the door)...and they will be within the allowable 3% spec of your 20" wheel tire combo:
  • 18" wheel with a 245/45/18 tire
  • 19" wheel with a 245/40/19 tire

BTW...an 18" or 19" wheel and tire combo will usually be narrower and cost less, too...thus taking up less "vertical" space in the trunk This is another reason to consider an 18" or 19" spare...hopefully it will never be used...or if used...only briefly.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-27-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking for current input on a reliable solution to the RFT/Non-RFT debate. I personally can't stand the RFT tire and am amazed BMW selected them for the design of such a great sports car. I hate the ride, the noise and the fragile nature of these wheels and switched over to Non-RFTs. Now the challenge is find a wheel/tire/spare set-up that I can count on.

While I love the look and ride of the 20" wheels, I'm not convinced the tire manufacturers have developed a strong enough sidewall to protect from even a modest pothole impact and the 20" wheel maybe an inch too far for reliability.

* Tire Repair Kit - Great if you have a puncture...useless on a side wall tear that is THE most common failure due to pot holes.

* Ride Settings - As much as I love the running Sport setting, I feel the firmer shock settings INCREASES the likely hood of sidewall damage when you hit a pothole. In the winter months I've decided to run the Comfort + suspension to help absorb some of the impact.

* Spare Tire - Right now I'm planning on buying a full sized 20" spare (required with XDrive) and carry a front wheel size of the standard staggered size set-up. I have not been able to locate a 20" space saving spare setup and welcome any input from the forum.
Run flats blow! Such a difference going from a run flat to a standard tire. My 20" standard tires are much more comfortable than the 19" run flats. With standard tires, you wont find potholes so jarring. I don't think it is necessary at all to drive in comfort+.

You stated "I'm not convinced the tire manufacturers have developed a strong enough sidewall to protect from even a modest pothole impact and the 20" wheel maybe an inch too far for reliability." This is a gross overstatement. No tire will survive some of the potholes out there if you hit them hard enough, but I think most people will tell you it isn't much of an issue. Certainly, 19" tires aren't going to be significantly different than 20" tires.

As far as a space saving spare, there is one for the E70 X5M that will clear the brakes of the 650, but you will need to source a tire in right height.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
DMarks57
Rep

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
DMarks57
Rep

I've personally gone through 3 summer tires and 1 of my winter tires. Talking with Discount Tires and it's a BIG deal on both 19 & 20" wheels. I have had one "hard" impact and the rest were modest to average pot holes and one was on a bridge expansion joint.

I have a friend at work who has a 2013 650ix convertible with the same 20" wheels and has gone through more than me. It's a big deal...not a gross overstatement.

There was a Class Action Lawsuit that was settled in 2010 on 2006-07 BMW's and I wouldn't be surprised if another one's brewing. Here's a link to a Consumer Reports article on the Run Flats: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ires/index.htm

The run flats suck...the ride...the noise...the cost and the handling. All they give you is the ability to drive 50 miles to buy another overpriced/fragile replacement.

I worked with my guy and Discount Tires and purchased an closeout wheel that fits the car and then bought a jack and tire iron to carry in the trunk.

This way I have a little piece of mind and don't have to worry about getting stranded and calling roadside assistance on a regular basis.

The good news....I can still fit my set of golf clubs in the trunk.

Can't understand how BMW chose this design on a car that stickered over $100K!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I worked with my guy and Discount Tires and purchased a closeout wheel that fits the car and then bought a jack and tire iron to carry in the trunk.

The good news....I can still fit my set of golf clubs in the trunk.
What size wheel did you go with for the spare...18", 19", or 20"...and what width (8",8.5",9", etc)? How about the tire size, too? Would be good to know for anyone else considering the same.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
ematic15
Rep
Drives: 650xi Grandcoupe

I have the stock 20" rim on my 2015 650xi gran coupe. I took off the factory RFT they were HORRIBLE. I now have Fallkens on. I LOVE THEM not one issue with my rims at all. I plan on ordering this spare tire system and leaving it in the trunk. (link below) hope this helps
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F12-KIT.html
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #8
Ann in Ohio
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650 iX Grand Coupe

I just got rid of my run flats. Had my car for 10 days before I lost the right front tire due to sidewall bubbles from pot holes. Yikes! My choice was to pay $400+ for a new right front run flat tire or just switch them out now. In addition, I live in the midwest....the RFTs are summer tires so I was going to have to buy winter tires anyway. I researched BMW approved tires for the 650 and had my dealer put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06s. I have the "M" sport package so I have the 20" split configuration. The Continental tires are half the price...really...of the Dunlop RFTs. Just brought the car home yesterday and there is a huge difference in better ride quality and ability to handle the Ohio crappy roads right now (Indiana is even worse). Plus the benefit is these tires are all season...D (dry) W (wet) and S (snow)! I am not too much of an aggressive driver so I am not out trying to take mountain roads so I can not attest to the tires ability to handle the curves but what I can say is for "normal" road driving (is there such a thing), these tires get it done with lots of pluses (cheaper, better suited to bumpy and pot hole ridden roads). Once I made the decision, the dealer had the tires the next day and installed them for a price that was cheaper than Tire Discounters (I had a quote) plus I got a free alignment (needed it) that I would not get at the discount store. I was pleasantly surprised.
My dealer tried to talk me out of changing out the tires...because there is no spare tire. But, in the M's, they put in a BMW M Mobility Kit...which is a compressor with fix it foam to get you somewhere safe. A lot of cars don't have spares these days. I had my dealer put a Mobility Kit in the back and we are in business. I also plan on getting a AAA towing subscription. Oh, and the dealer talked me into keeping the three good RFTs in case I change my mind. Not a bad idea...I did some research and the used tires aren't worth much anyway. If I decide to go back, I only need one tire.
The dealers are worried about you being safe, but seriously, I just turned in another sports sedan with regular low profile tires that I have driven 40,000 miles on a single set. No problems on the same roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #9
JP1906
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i and '12 640i

FWIW, Continental DWS 06 Tires are not recommended tires for our 20” rims. I have a 640i with 20” wheels and I’ve gone through ~12 tires in 3 years due to road hazards in Washington, DC.

My last Tire was purchased at the dealership in Alexandria, VA and it was a Continental DWS 06 Tire. Fate had it, the next day I hit a pothole on 495 and blew that brand new tire. BMW called Continental to place a warranty claim and Continental would not honor it because it is not an “approved” tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #10
DMarks57
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Ohio View Post
I just got rid of my run flats. Had my car for 10 days before I lost the right front tire due to sidewall bubbles from pot holes. Yikes! My choice was to pay $400+ for a new right front run flat tire or just switch them out now. In addition, I live in the midwest....the RFTs are summer tires so I was going to have to buy winter tires anyway. I researched BMW approved tires for the 650 and had my dealer put on a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06s. I have the "M" sport package so I have the 20" split configuration. The Continental tires are half the price...really...of the Dunlop RFTs. Just brought the car home yesterday and there is a huge difference in better ride quality and ability to handle the Ohio crappy roads right now (Indiana is even worse). Plus the benefit is these tires are all season...D (dry) W (wet) and S (snow)! I am not too much of an aggressive driver so I am not out trying to take mountain roads so I can not attest to the tires ability to handle the curves but what I can say is for "normal" road driving (is there such a thing), these tires get it done with lots of pluses (cheaper, better suited to bumpy and pot hole ridden roads). Once I made the decision, the dealer had the tires the next day and installed them for a price that was cheaper than Tire Discounters (I had a quote) plus I got a free alignment (needed it) that I would not get at the discount store. I was pleasantly surprised.
My dealer tried to talk me out of changing out the tires...because there is no spare tire. But, in the M's, they put in a BMW M Mobility Kit...which is a compressor with fix it foam to get you somewhere safe. A lot of cars don't have spares these days. I had my dealer put a Mobility Kit in the back and we are in business. I also plan on getting a AAA towing subscription. Oh, and the dealer talked me into keeping the three good RFTs in case I change my mind. Not a bad idea...I did some research and the used tires aren't worth much anyway. If I decide to go back, I only need one tire.
The dealers are worried about you being safe, but seriously, I just turned in another sports sedan with regular low profile tires that I have driven 40,000 miles on a single set. No problems on the same roads.
I purchased a slime kit with a compressor and plug kit thinking that would be the answer. Felt pretty confident till I hit a couple potholes and the sidewall tore. The slime won't do you any good and I had to go to Roadside assistance twice. Another time I had a sidewall bubble and a slow leak. The compressor is worth it's weight in gold. I had to pull over several times on the way home to add air...but I got home and had to replace another tire. Can't live or work this way and I went the full size spare route. Most frustrating thing, was that a couple of the potholes were not teeth rattlers.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
DMarks57
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What size wheel did you go with for the spare...18", 19", or 20"...and what width (8",8.5",9", etc)? How about the tire size, too? Would be good to know for anyone else considering the same.
Discount Tire got me a closeout 18" rim and a 255/35 ZR 18 94Y. The rim is an 18 x 8 5-120.00 40. I was out the door for a couple hundred $'s.

The went to Harbor Tools and bought a scissor jack and tire iron.

Now I drive with piece of mind....and my eyes locked on the road ahead scanning for pot holes
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Discount Tire got me a closeout 18" rim and a 255/35 ZR 18 94Y. The rim is an 18 x 8 5-120.00 40. I was out the door for a couple hundred $'s.

The went to Harbor Tools and bought a scissor jack and tire iron.

Now I drive with piece of mind....and my eyes locked on the road ahead scanning for pot holes
Thank you for this info...this is FORUM GOLD!
Tire
  • 255/35/18
Wheel
  • 8"x18"
  • 5x120 wheel bolt pattern
  • 40mm wheel offset

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #13
nealsil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematic15 View Post
I have the stock 20" rim on my 2015 650xi gran coupe. I took off the factory RFT they were HORRIBLE. I now have Fallkens on. I LOVE THEM not one issue with my rims at all. I plan on ordering this spare tire system and leaving it in the trunk. (link below) hope this helps
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F12-KIT.html
Hi, wondering did you ever order this? Do you know the difference between the SKU: BIM-SST-F12-KIT and SKU: BIM-SST-F12M6-KIT? Huge price difference and not sure which to order. I have a 2013 F12 (not M6) with 20" rim.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealsil View Post
Hi, wondering did you ever order this? Do you know the difference between the SKU: BIM-SST-F12-KIT and SKU: BIM-SST-F12M6-KIT? Huge price difference and not sure which to order. I have a 2013 F12 (not M6) with 20" rim.

Thanks.
If you don't have an M6 model...then don't buy the kit for that model...because the M6 "kit" is designed and sold to accommodate the larger M6 brakes. If you go to the site's advertisement for the M6 kit...it's in the printed description.

The M6 kit comes with a special "custom" adapter and longer wheel bolts as well as a 19" wheel/tire (and the wheel appears to be aluminum). The non-M F06/F12/F13 kit comes with an 18" spare and it doesn't need the special wheel adapter and longer bolts...and the spare tire is mounted on a less expensive steel wheel.

Hope this helps explain it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
nealsil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M Sport

It does thanks! I was confused because i've seen similar kits on other sites with different compatibility details. I had a chance to speak with someone at Bimmerzone who explained the difference to me as well. Ordered the BIM-SST-F12-KIT. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #17
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:

and

Road hazard insurance is my plan.

I scoped a semi used 245/35/20 off a forum member and i am just going to get a knock cheap 20' and have that as my spare. front size of the staggered fitment, I will keep it in in my garage unless taking a long trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post

and

Road hazard insurance is my plan.

I scoped a semi used 245/35/20 off a forum member and i am just going to get a knock cheap 20' and have that as my spare. front size of the staggered fitment, I will keep it in in my garage unless taking a long trip.
Just an FYI in case some don't know...you could have also scooped up a 19" compatible wheel/tire combo for the 6GCix because the 19" & 20" have the same rolling circumference.

The benefit of "minus-sizing" is that the tire mounted to the smaller size wheel is usually less expensive. And since the spare will rarely be used (hopefully never)...why spend the extra money to mount a 20" tire when the equivalent 19" tire is cheaper.
  • 245/45/18 (coupe & vert...not sure if either {RWD/AWD} Gran Coupes can mount an 18" wheel)
  • 245/40/19
  • 245/35/20

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #19
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

Quote:
Just an FYI in case some don't know...you could have also scooped up a 19" compatible wheel/tire combo for the 6GCix because the 19" & 20" have the same rolling circumference.

The benefit of "minus-sizing" is that the tire mounted to the smaller size wheel is usually less expensive. And since the spare will rarely be used (hopefully never)...why spend the extra money to mount a 20" tire when the equivalent 19" tire is cheaper.
  • 245/45/18 (coupe & vert...not sure if either {RWD/AWD} Gran Coupes can mount an 18" wheel)
  • 245/40/19
  • 245/35/20
usually true, but 19s and 21s are uncommon sizes and can cost more than the 18"/20"/22" tires of the world.

apparently 265/35/20 is an uncommon size and i usually pay a good premium over the 275/35/20 that i used to run on one of my cars
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #20
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:

• 245/40/19
  • 245/35/20
Actually I went with the 20 because it is cheaper and easier to come across than 19”. Like he said above 19, 21 and 23 inch tires are very rare and usually require at least 2 days to acquire
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #21
DavidEastbourne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650i Convertible E64 2007

Garage List
My 20" set up!

I live in Eastbourne, Sussex in the UK. I have a 2007 E64 650i Convertible. My vehicle has 20" alloys with non RFT,s. Due to the miserable economy, our council responsible for roads cannot cope with fixing the pot holes. Sometimes the shock when hitting them makes me feel I must be ready for a hip replacement and I think many of my teeth are now due to fall out!

I have just enjoyed a 2500 mile journey across Europe. Some of the roads had massive pot holes...these were even signposted in Spain! I did a lot of fast motoring, very fast.... schh…. My tyres are from Taiwan branded 'Noble Sport' which are rated Y for quite high top speed. With the treatment they have endured recently I would have expected that they would be shot...not at all the sidewalls are strong and there does not appear to be any damage at all...or undue tyre wear. .

We both still have a missing spare problem though. I searched and searched for a suitable spare without luck.
Hope this helps you.
Appreciate 0