BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-15-2021, 02:43 AM   #1
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Any ways to improve the Cabin Sound Experience?

I am not sure if I am the only one feeling this way but I feel like the cabin sound is lackluster and the only sound I can really hear and feel is the exhaust sound and mostly coming from the back.

What have you guys done to improve the sound inside? I feel less engaging and kinda boring inside.. I know it's not a NA car so even hitting high RPM doesn't really bring any enjoyable sound to the cabin. I actually think the car is really quiet and almost no sound is coming through from the engine bay.

Does getting an aftermarket intake to bring sound to the cabin and the driving experience becomes more engaging? I guess when I say engaging... I could be wrong with the choice of words or wrongly describing my driving experience because I am sound sensitive person.. nonetheless, I think I am kinda thirsty for rawer/engaging sound in the cabin..
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-15-2021, 04:31 AM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Good aftermarket sound system will resolve it all...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Good aftermarket sound system will resolve it all...
I don't know if this is a joke or if I mislead in writing to believe that I am talking about Sound System here.

I am not talking about Speaker or Sound System here.

I am talking about not enough sound coming from the engine room. I don't know if it is actually quite under the hood of the sound deadening is strong and I just thought that there may be others that felt the same and did something to improve it. Also to see if installing an aftermarket intake system resolved it or helped.

I guess this is a dumb comparison but having owned E92 M3 before I wish to achieve a little bit of better cabin experience if that makes sense

Last edited by Infiniteflow; 04-15-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

The issue is you are comparing a NA car to a Twin Turbo'ed car that has excellent sound deadening for the interior cabin. You really aren't going to get where you want unless you straight pipe the car and still it will be limited.

Folks forget that this is supposed to be a luxury GT car that can eat up miles in comfort and quietness, enjoying the sound system inside vs. hearing a deep exhaust note from the outside.
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing View Post
The issue is you are comparing a NA car to a Twin Turbo'ed car that has excellent sound deadening for the interior cabin. You really aren't going to get where you want unless you straight pipe the car and still it will be limited.

Folks forget that this is supposed to be a luxury GT car that can eat up miles in comfort and quietness, enjoying the sound system inside vs. hearing a deep exhaust note from the outside.
yea I am completely aware of it and iono it just hit me one day that I want something more fun to drive as I barely drive this car so When I take her out I want to have a more fun experience.

I wrote this post to see if any mods will improve the experience drastically but if there is no real good way to do this maybe I will look into adding E92 to the fleet or trade the car for something else. Right now X5 is doing the job for family use and comfort daily driving. For some odd reason, I have fun driving X5 so I just purchased RaceChip GTS black to add more boost to the car.

Thanks for your feedback anyway!
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

What exhaust and intakes are on the car now? I get what you're saying but that's not really what these cars are about.
I'm coming from a 1100whp procharged stick shift corvette but I wasn't exactly thinking I was going to get the same feel 😆
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrizz73 View Post
What exhaust and intakes are on the car now? I get what you're saying but that's not really what these cars are about.
I'm coming from a 1100whp procharged stick shift corvette but I wasn't exactly thinking I was going to get the same feel 😆
yea I probably won't do anything to the car I guess, i don't think I will ever be able to achieve what I want unless I move onto a different platform.

everything is stock, just Dinan stage 1, muff delete and thinking bout charcoal filter delete maybe.. I was looking into getting RPI GTM exhaust last year but I talked to many people who had the system and none of them kept the system on and did not recommend it because of how ridiculously loud it was to the point everyone hated them and they hated the bad droning. Muff delete just hit the spot for me on exhaust sound, I can use a little bit louder sound but I am ok as is.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
jjgrizz73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgrizz73 View Post
yea I probably won't do anything to the car I guess, i don't think I will ever be able to achieve what I want unless I move onto a different platform.

everything is stock, just Dinan stage 1, muff delete and thinking bout charcoal filter delete maybe.. I was looking into getting RPI GTM exhaust last year but I talked to many people who had the system and none of them kept the system on and did not recommend it because of how ridiculously loud it was to the point everyone hated them and they hated the bad droning. Muff delete just hit the spot for me on exhaust sound, I can use a little bit louder sound but I am ok as is.
I did the Meisterschaft with the electric valves. Highway it can sound like stock or open them up with the catless downpipes and hear the turbos
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

I like you did the muffler delete. I have a convertible so with the rear window down or top off it sounds amazing. I would do an intake or downpipes both i think sound sick on this platform. The only other m6 I've seen in my area drove past me with downpipes and intakes and it instantly made me order both sounded like a modern supercar.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #10
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyev8 View Post
I like you did the muffler delete. I have a convertible so with the rear window down or top off it sounds amazing. I would do an intake or downpipes both i think sound sick on this platform. The only other m6 I've seen in my area drove past me with downpipes and intakes and it instantly made me order both sounded like a modern supercar.
Difficult decision on downpipe because I have 4 years remaining on my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Difficult decision on downpipe because I have 4 years remaining on my warranty.
Yep, in the same boat as you. Downpipe + Stage 2 DME is what I wanted to do, but holding off until warranty is off.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing View Post
Yep, in the same boat as you. Downpipe + Stage 2 DME is what I wanted to do, but holding off until warranty is off.
honestly, I am questioning myself if I will keep this car for that long or even if I do hold the car for that long, will I mod the hell out of the car right when the warranty expires. Most likely I will be moving on to a different platform.. unless I am dead broke by then lol
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

If a loud, raucous sound is what you want, you bought the wrong car from the wrong brand. The BMW paradigm is all about refinement, and you chose the model that was designed for a mature and sophisticated buyer. If a more visceral experience is what youre after, the GTR or Huracan would be more to your liking.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #14
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Following this thread with interest as this will be my next focus of upgrades.

I've mentioned a few times that the 205series C63AMGs have the engine and exhaust sound combined with (relative) refinement that I would love to come close to in my F06. That is also luxury car (albeit a class lower than the 6 series) with a turbocharged V8. IMO the M6 would then be the perfect package of styling, dynamics, practicality and exotic sound, at which point I'd be struggling to find a replacement vehicle under 6 figures. To achieve this, my plan is:

Tune - I have a Dinan S1 ready to install. I understand why people are critical of this especially at the price point given whats out there today. However I picked mine up for $500 so the price issue is moot. I'm also not looking for crazy power gains, the car is a missile stock, but what appeals to me is the OEM+ nature of the tune and super smooth driveability. The increase in HP and Torque from 2500-4000RPM is plenty for me and Dinan will keep the S63 happy.

Exhaust - I will research this in depth. My first choice is Akra/MPE which is likely what I'll go for, but open to others. The comp exhaust sounds nice and has some decent cracks/pops, but definitely lacks the in-cabin sound.

DPs - as a last point if I'm still looking for more sound, will research on here for the best performance/high flow DPs. Would prefer to avoid catless as don't want to deal with CEL/smell or other issues.

I know there are quite a few owners here around the DC area so may reach out to those with tuned cars to have a listen before I start throwing crazy $$$ at parts. Interested to hear all opinions though!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 12:22 AM   #15
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Following this thread with interest as this will be my next focus of upgrades.

I've mentioned a few times that the 205series C63AMGs have the engine and exhaust sound combined with (relative) refinement that I would love to come close to in my F06. That is also luxury car (albeit a class lower than the 6 series) with a turbocharged V8. IMO the M6 would then be the perfect package of styling, dynamics, practicality and exotic sound, at which point I'd be struggling to find a replacement vehicle under 6 figures. To achieve this, my plan is:

Tune - I have a Dinan S1 ready to install. I understand why people are critical of this especially at the price point given whats out there today. However I picked mine up for $500 so the price issue is moot. I'm also not looking for crazy power gains, the car is a missile stock, but what appeals to me is the OEM+ nature of the tune and super smooth driveability. The increase in HP and Torque from 2500-4000RPM is plenty for me and Dinan will keep the S63 happy.

Exhaust - I will research this in depth. My first choice is Akra/MPE which is likely what I'll go for, but open to others. The comp exhaust sounds nice and has some decent cracks/pops, but definitely lacks the in-cabin sound.

DPs - as a last point if I'm still looking for more sound, will research on here for the best performance/high flow DPs. Would prefer to avoid catless as don't want to deal with CEL/smell or other issues.

I know there are quite a few owners here around the DC area so may reach out to those with tuned cars to have a listen before I start throwing crazy $$$ at parts. Interested to hear all opinions though!
Many people said that the exhaust system alone will not actually achieve the type of sound we are all looking for but DP will overall have a greater effect on the sound over any other mods for this car.

My guy at the muffler shop told me that he has installed many M5/M6s exhaust systems that cost 5k~8k+ but none of them sounded that great or he didn't feel that the money was worth it.
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-18-2021, 12:28 AM   #16
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
If a loud, raucous sound is what you want, you bought the wrong car from the wrong brand. The BMW paradigm is all about refinement, and you chose the model that was designed for a mature and sophisticated buyer. If a more visceral experience is what youre after, the GTR or Huracan would be more to your liking.
you are right and I probably did buy the wrong car lol, I actually thought of selling my car lately but man every time I drive the car or watch my car parked I just can't seem to sell the car, it's just too beautiful..

Now I am thinking about either adding e92 m3 or the new IS500 when it comes out.. of course, will need approval from my wife.. my wife does not like M3.. I had e92 for little and my wife hated it so much and I think my wife will feel the same about IS500, she is ok for me to move on to Porsche but not M3.. she thinks the car is made for immature young adults so she was completely happy with this M6 purchase..

anyways.. we will see what happens down the road, I don't think I will be doing any mods to the car other than cosmetic stuff if anything
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #17
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

You're really in a tough spot since the amount of noise the car produces of your liking is basically a synonym with "immature young adults" car.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #18
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
you are right and I probably did buy the wrong car lol, I actually thought of selling my car lately but man every time I drive the car or watch my car parked I just can't seem to sell the car, it's just too beautiful..
Yup, there's that. The day may come for you when loud and obnoxious is something you're no longer looking for. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
You're really in a tough spot since the amount of noise the car produces of your liking is basically a synonym with "immature young adults" car.
Glad I wasn't the one to say it.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #19
benacto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M6 GC

an intake with filters sit in the front grill, resinators delete, and exhaust valves wired open gave the sound improvement at a good price. It's much more noticeable on the outside of the car than inside. There's so much sound deadening material stuffed in our car. The intake is loud when it's in heavy load or sports +.
Otherwise... catless DP does make a good sound with the turbo whistle and crackle.
      04-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #20
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
yes i know no man is ever mature enough for women anyway LMAO
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #21
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

I believe you will throw CEL if you change to catless and/or higher celled (200-300) downpipes -- either way, you'll have to have it coded out. And if you're coding, then might as well get a tune while you're at it (DME/BM/JB4) etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #22
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
I don't know if this is a joke or if I mislead in writing to believe that I am talking about Sound System here.

I am not talking about Speaker or Sound System here.

I am talking about not enough sound coming from the engine room. I don't know if it is actually quite under the hood of the sound deadening is strong and I just thought that there may be others that felt the same and did something to improve it. Also to see if installing an aftermarket intake system resolved it or helped.

I guess this is a dumb comparison but having owned E92 M3 before I wish to achieve a little bit of better cabin experience if that makes sense
A good exhaust system, front mount intakes , catless downpipes , I have a Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust it sounds awesome you need a Full exhaust not just from the midpipe back makes a huge difference ,with that loud turbo whistle and deep sound from exhaust it makes the car I get a lot of compliments, its very intoxicating, I myself always wear the shirt ( yes I void my warranty)
I have posted this vid on here before, but here is a M6 GC with Full Eisenmann Race exhaust Catless, front mount intakes etc
Turn your volume up and listen

Last edited by Whipple; 05-07-2021 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0