BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #529
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
bully boy tactics will work in the West where Joe investor and publc suck on the tesla juice but won't work in the East.
What does this mean? Isn't this the lady that was put in detention for 5 days and who's previously protested at other Tesla events?

it's kind of the equivalent "driverless car crashes!" when in reality the Tesla didn't have auto-pilot engaged mostly because it was never installed on that particular vehicle and so it's purely a case of old school, some kid crashes a car a runs away.

Where I grew up that didn't get "ZOMG DRIVERLESS CAR" headlines, just a picture in the crime section.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #530
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
bully boy tactics will work in the West where Joe investor and publc suck on the tesla juice but won't work in the East.
What does this mean? Isn't this the lady that was put in detention for 5 days and who's previously protested at other Tesla events?

it's kind of the equivalent "driverless car crashes!" when in reality the Tesla didn't have auto-pilot engaged mostly because it was never installed on that particular vehicle and so it's purely a case of old school, some kid crashes a car a runs away.

Where I grew up that didn't get "ZOMG DRIVERLESS CAR" headlines, just a picture in the crime section.
like this one too

https://insideevs.com/news/501591/xp...t-allegations/
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      04-22-2021, 07:33 PM   #531
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, this one is bizarre:
The employee at the center of the issue, Dr. Guangzhi Cao, had admitted from the start that he uploaded Tesla’s Autopilot source code to his personal cloud-based storage account, before going to work for Xpeng's US subsidiary, XMotors.
Uh, dude, what did you expect? Kinda industrial espionagey there bro.

Back on the self-driving stuff, there's also headlines about fooling auto pilot so you can have no driver

In my day we called that "cruise control & a bungee cord" but I guess it's new
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #532
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oops shoulda added, I found this interesting from the LA times article on it:
... On Wednesday, the Communist Party’s discipline commission said in a separate commentary that Tesla’s apology shows a better attitude than before. The woman who protested is being detained for five days.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:59 AM   #533
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, this one is bizarre:
The employee at the center of the issue, Dr. Guangzhi Cao, had admitted from the start that he uploaded Tesla's Autopilot source code to his personal cloud-based storage account, before going to work for Xpeng's US subsidiary, XMotors.
Uh, dude, what did you expect? Kinda industrial espionagey there bro.

Back on the self-driving stuff, there's also headlines about fooling auto pilot so you can have no driver

In my day we called that "cruise control & a bungee cord" but I guess it's new
this is the reputational bullying I was referring to.First paragraph in the article...

"After two years of allegations, mostly made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk via Twitter, that Xpeng Motors was using stolen Tesla source code obtained by a former Tesla employee, it appears that wasn't the case at all". 
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:21 AM   #534
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...built-in-lidar
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #535
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
this is the reputational bullying I was referring to.First paragraph in the article...

"After two years of allegations, mostly made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk via Twitter, that Xpeng Motors was using stolen Tesla source code obtained by a former Tesla employee, it appears that wasn't the case at all".
Yeah, well I'll defend Elon on this one: if an employee uploads company IP to his own private cloud, then leaves for a competitor, said employee shouldn't be surprised if the company makes a few allegations.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 02:19 AM   #536
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:

"After two years of allegations, mostly made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk via Twitter, that Xpeng Motors was using stolen Tesla source code obtained by a former Tesla employee, it appears that wasn't the case at all".
Yeah, well I'll defend Elon on this one: if an employee uploads company IP to his own private cloud, then leaves for a competitor, said employee shouldn't be surprised if the company makes a few allegations.
causing reputational loss to a competitor by making baseless allegations(about the company not the individual guy who was guilty) that was proven not true is the issue. Bit like the pedo guy saga.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #537
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
causing reputational loss to a competitor by making baseless allegations(about the company not the individual guy who was guilty) that was proven not true is the issue. Bit like the pedo guy saga.
Yeah, not when an employee downloads all of your source code and then goes to that competitor, and said competitor defends you! - that's more like industrial espionage.

If I steal your car, but don't use it, would you feel responsible to protect my reputation? Come on man.

Elon's done some fucked up things, but this ain't one of them - when a company knowingly hires and protects an IP thief, they deserve reputational damage.

What would your company do (present or past) if they found out you stole IP from a previous employer? Defend you or fire you?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:46 AM   #538
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
except it wasn't industrial espionage

'Dr. Cao believes that two years of litigation have now established what he knew from the beginning: he never accessed any Tesla data after he left Tesla, he never provided Tesla information to XMotors or anyone else, and nobody at XMotors or anywhere else ever asked him to do so. Dr. Cao is gratified that Tesla has finally dismissed its claims and stopped its search for evidence that does not exist.  
Dr. Cao regrets and apologizes for the unnecessary harm that Tesla's lawsuit caused to  XMotors. He is grateful to his colleagues at XMotors who supported him during this litigation'
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #539
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you hire me to detail your car and I don't return it, and then say
"Geez KRS_SN has been accusing me of auto theft for 2 years but now I'm vindicated because I've proven I actually just stored the car on my property and never used it"
Your point is, you should now have to now apologize to me for reputational harm because I never used your property so I'm a great guy? Oh, and what if I never returned your car and then started work at a rental company that rents cars and one looks exactly like yours? You're saying you'd DEFINITELY be in the wrong for thinking I stole your car and was renting it out?

Come on man.

The guy, as a Tesla employee, downloaded all of Tesla's source code TO HIS PERSONAL cloud storage AND THEN went to a competitor. That gets you fired and charged at any company on the planet.

In a related story:
engineer Anthony Levandowski ... has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for trade secret theft ...Google’s self-driving unit, then called Waymo, filed a lawsuit against Uber for trade secret theft, alleging its acquisition of Otto allowed the company to gain access to sensitive and confidential Waymo technology Levandowski illegally took with him on his way out. Uber and Waymo settled the lawsuit, but Levandowski was still on the hook for criminal charges of trade secret theft
Sometimes when AD engineers leave with IP and go to a competitor, they've been known to use it ... and, do we really believe this guy didn't use the code he stole?

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-25-2021 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #540
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
In other news only tesla thinks they can do autonomous driving stuff. Most other brands now can including xpeng etc...so reminds me of
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/27/1...copying-iphone
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #541
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If you hire me to detail your car and I don't return it, and then say
"Geez KRS_SN has been accusing me of auto theft for 2 years but now I'm vindicated because I've proven I actually just stored the car on my property and never used it"
Your point is, you should now have to now apologize to me for reputational harm because I never used your property so I'm a great guy? Oh, and what if I never returned your car and then started work at a rental company that rents cars and one looks exactly like yours? You're saying you'd DEFINITELY be in the wrong for thinking I stole your car and was renting it out?

Come on man.

The guy, as a Tesla employee, downloaded all of Tesla's source code TO HIS PERSONAL cloud storage AND THEN went to a competitor. That gets you fired and charged at any company on the planet.

In a related story:
engineer Anthony Levandowski ... has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for trade secret theft ...Google's self-driving unit, then called Waymo, filed a lawsuit against Uber for trade secret theft, alleging its acquisition of Otto allowed the company to gain access to sensitive and confidential Waymo technology Levandowski illegally took with him on his way out. Uber and Waymo settled the lawsuit, but Levandowski was still on the hook for criminal charges of trade secret theft
Sometimes when AD engineers leave with IP and go to a competitor, they've been known to use it ... and, do we really believe this guy didn't use the code he stole?

except there is no proof that he used teslas code to make xpengs software. Tesla repeatedly insinuated that Xpeng stole their code.
So sorry I think Tesla is the bully boy here as they have No proof of the claims they made as it was a 3rd party that adjudicated.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #542
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
except there is no proof that he used teslas code to make xpengs software.
The next time I steal something I don't end up using, you're my PR guy!
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13104.50
      04-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #543
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Imma keep wheeling out this hobby horse cause it keeps being right:

if you wanna know where the energy and auto markets are going (and understand your risk of climate related events) there's been no better bell-weather for the last 30 years than the reinsurance market.

So what are they up to these days?
Munich Ergo AssetManagement GmbH, which manages investments for reinsurance giant Munich Re, bought more shares of electric-vehicle firms Tesla (ticker: TSLA) and NIO (NIO), and nearly tripled holdings of Microsoft (MSFT) stock in the first quarter. MEAG, as the investment manager is known, also sold nearly all of its Exxon Mobil (XOM) shares in the quarter.
Microsoft, btw, has possibly the World's greatest recurring revenue B2B bundle only getting stronger, and will soon have one the largest online gaming recurring revenue bundles.

If you're not in MSFT, now's the time. If you only buy one tech company, this is the one. (disclosure: you're damn straight I'm all up in this shit)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #544
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://news.sky.com/story/teslas-pe...-11bn-12288129

Roth Capital Partners analyst Craig Irwin said: "Higher regulatory credits, lower taxes, and bitcoin sales buoyed financial results. Back these out, and it was a large miss."
Questions have been raised about the way Telsa achieves profitability, as a major portion of it comes from selling regulatory credits to other carmakers.
Tesla earns regulatory credits from governments around the world for manufacturing zero-emissions vehicles and sells these to other car manufacturers that produce vehicles that run on petrol and diesel.
Without $518m (£372m) in credits for the quarter, Tesla would have lost money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      04-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #545
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Roth Capital Partners analyst Craig Irwin said: "Higher regulatory credits, lower taxes, and bitcoin sales buoyed financial results. Back these out, and it was a large miss."
"buh buh buh if you subtract some of Tesla's business profits, they're not profitable!"

The correct analysis these ding-dongs are missing:

(1.) The revenue is recurring B2B, i.e, revenue from other companies, and

(2.) That revenue - which used to be "about to disappear" - is GROWING!

Meaning, it's 2021 and not only have the Bigs failed to show up to the party, their late fees are J-curving.

Porsche and Audi are showing up in a big way, and Ford is looking ok (though I'll have to wait on Sandy's review) but the rest?

Expect extreme disruption.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #546
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice Sankey of Tesla's Q1 financials:

Anybody excited about the US's return to dominance in the global auto industry should love what Tesla and Ford are doing ... at least for now, they look to the be the leaders with Porsche/Audi & MB following close and the Chinese building up massive capacity ...

Gonna be an interesting decade as the auto cards reshuffle ...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #547
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...t-tesla-2021-4
GrussGott you may have called it right.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      05-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #548
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...t-tesla-2021-4
GrussGott you may have called it right.
The problem is that US has the upper hand when it comes to controlling tech access to China. Look at what happened to Huawei's mobile phone business once the US imposed sanctions of them and that was nothing. Huawei initially said they would just work around it, but then they recognized the reality.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/26/huaw...-business.html

If the Chinese explicitly start blocking US companies like Tesla, the US govt has way more powerful arrows to shoot the other way.

So it's interesting for sure, but I don't see Chinese EVs succeeding anywhere outside of China.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #549
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Questions have been raised about the way Telsa achieves profitability, as a major portion of it comes from selling regulatory credits to other carmakers.
Tesla earns regulatory credits from governments around the world for manufacturing zero-emissions vehicles and sells these to other car manufacturers that produce vehicles that run on petrol and diesel.
Without $518m (£372m) in credits for the quarter, Tesla would have lost money.
The regulatory credits are baked into their financials so you can't just back them out. It is known for each Q. As for bitcoin sales, even without it Tesla still beats on both top and bottom line. Their revenue growth was the highest of any major auto - by a long shot. This was a Q when they were transitioning their entire Model S and X lines.

The most important metric for financial viability is free cash flow and...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...nt/ar-BB1gbGI6
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #550
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice Sankey of Tesla's Q1 financials:

Anybody excited about the US's return to dominance in the global auto industry should love what Tesla and Ford are doing ... at least for now, they look to the be the leaders with Porsche/Audi & MB following close and the Chinese building up massive capacity ...

Gonna be an interesting decade as the auto cards reshuffle ...
BMW had a really solid Q as well. In fact all the German auto manufacturers have a really solid product line and doing really well.

Ford, Tesla, and also GM had their best Q of Bolt EV sales and financial performance was solid last Q for all 3.
Appreciate 0