BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #45
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Before I even understood what you were going on about, these two things stood out most to me. How very noble of you to allow the customer in front of you to finish his transaction with the employee of the business you just entered and my most favorite interaction with customers is when they know more about my job than I do. Go on, ask me how well the tattoo sessions went from customers who told me how I needed to tattoo them the right way. This is sarcasm.

Look man, I've become the resident pain in the ass/doom and gloom guy here. This town isn't big enough for both of us. In all seriousness, this will be the second time that I have offered this advice on here, in the past week. Lose the ego and change your perspective. Not everything is about you, it's about all of us, simultaneously. How very dare the employees actually try to assist you. Good for you for just walking out as they perform their job of assisting you.

Had I been any of the employees that you encountered, you would have gotten a muffled "asshole" as you walked away....and I'm the type to stare you in the face and dare you to say something in return.
Awww, see. You're just teddy bear in disguise.
I'm not arguing that. I am a smallish teddy bear, I'm just filled with broken glass and razor blades instead of fluff.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
cmyx6go15699.50
      08-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #46
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
100%. I'll pay more for convenience or saving of time. Don't matter how much money you have - time is my most precious commodity.
10,000% here. $800 is worth "having a great day" vs. being a grumpy gus driving from place to place being pissed off.

You can get more money. You can get more parts. You can get more cars. You can NEVER buy more time. NEVER. Gone is gone. No replica's, no re-do's, no "mulligans", never. I spend every day remembering that.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #47
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Anyone feel sorry for brick-and-mortar retailers getting clobbered by Amazon?????
      08-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #48
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
You and I will get along then, lol. I don't do lines. Ever. I'll hire someone off of Task Rabbit or similar, pay then $40 and they'll go stand in line for me. iPhones for example.
So instead of spending say 10 minutes in a line you're willing to spend an additional $40 and wait an additional 1/2 hour for some crappy fast food arrive cold?

Man people's standards and expectations are just so low.
If you look at it in a literal sense, sure. But if the Apple lines in Los Angeles are four fucking hours and I don't have or want to spend four+ fucking hours and spend $40 to not do it, yeah I don't have a problem with it when I'm spending $1500 on a product as it is. Nobody is suggesting they're hiring someone for $40 to stand in line for them at McDonald's drivethru or the line at the fucking public restroom at the mall.

When people say they don't do lines, they don't mean every literal fucking line in the world. The lines where it's ostentatious - standing in line all day to get an autograph, standing in line all day for an iPhone, standing in line all day to score tickets to a Laker game, shit like that. Not the literal line at Chick Fil 'A.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #49
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Anyone feel sorry for brick-and-mortar retailers getting clobbered by Amazon?????
Walmart was doing the same to local retailers and now, they too, are taking the hit.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #50
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Walmart was doing the same to local retailers and now, they too, are taking the hit.
What? Walmart? Yeah no, polar opposite. Target as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #51
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
What? Walmart? Yeah no, polar opposite. Target as well.
Sorry, got lazy and just threw out something I read, about Walmart feeling the pinch from Amazon. What I do know, is that Amazon seems to be building warehouses as if they were Starbucks. They are everywhere!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615250.00
      08-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #52
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
If you look at it in a literal sense, sure. But if the Apple lines in Los Angeles are four fucking hours and I don't have or want to spend four+ fucking hours and spend $40 to not do it, yeah I don't have a problem with it when I'm spending $1500 on a product as it is. Nobody is suggesting they're hiring someone for $40 to stand in line for them at McDonald's drivethru or the line at the fucking public restroom at the mall.

When people say they don't do lines, they don't mean every literal fucking line in the world. The lines where it's ostentatious - standing in line all day to get an autograph, standing in line all day for an iPhone, standing in line all day to score tickets to a Laker game, shit like that. Not the literal line at Chick Fil 'A.
Not sure any of those are good examples at least for me to part w/$40. To me no autograph is worth $1, I order my iPhone on line and it arrives at my door and I don't do sport but if I did they have this service called TicketMaster. Sorry, I don't see a time where it is easier to log onto some third-party service than just buying direct. For those that do more power to you, you're just feeding the data mining machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #53
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I feel bad for Sears. They were the first order from home service and a very good one at that. For whatever reason they couldn't transition to online and their online stores were an example of poor programming and couldn't even manage a shopping cart.

Last edited by omasou; 08-24-2021 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615250.00
      08-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #54
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Nope. Brick and mortar stores spend more time shooting themselves in the foot than they do trying to make money. Let me ask a question in return. When was the last time that you felt like you had an actual positive experience when dealing with someone in a store? I'm not saying there aren't good retail employees out there, but when was the last time you experienced one?

I spend a literal fuck ton of money for my employer. I try my best to spend our money local and I'll be damned if they don't make it damn near impossible for me to do business with them. This includes and especially mom and pops.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615250.00
TiMSport12796.50
      08-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #55
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
At least dude not making life worse for anyone but himself
I don't think the sales people would agree with that!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #56
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not sure any of those are good examples at least for me to part w/$40. To me no autograph is worth $1, I order my iPhone on line and it arrives at my door and I don't do sport but if I did they have this service called TicketMaster. Sorry, I don't see a time where it is easier to log onto some third-party service than just buying direct. For those that do more power to you, you're just feeding the data mining machine.
They were good examples - years ago when the service was used, lol. None of them are done in 2021. I said I've hired them before, I didn't mean as in literally yesterday. I think somewhere along the way it got lost in translation.
Appreciate 1
omasou2088.00
      08-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #57
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Look man, I've become the resident pain in the ass/doom and gloom guy here....
You, King Rudi?
I think the competition is wide open....
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
minn1914033.00
      08-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #58
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When people say they don't do lines, they don't mean every literal fucking line in the world....
There is a very old saying in NYC:

"If you see a line, get on it!"
Appreciate 2
shoei7779.00
vreihen1615250.00
      08-24-2021, 01:08 PM   #59
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
When people say they don't do lines, they don't mean every literal fucking line in the world....
There is a very old saying in NYC:

"If you see a line, get on it!"
Ptsd for the Cronut lines.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      08-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #60
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
LMAO - I am going to let my GF read this tonight - she will immediately say "THIS IS YOU!"

Even reading it knowing it is me - I cringe. My father was the same way. I hate people. I hate standing in line. I hate having to explain the simplest of things to people who should know. I just can't do it.

I can't tell you how many times I've been in a line and the customer ahead of me goes and let's see.....and starts looking at the lottery ticket selection - like one is different from the other - and I just set my shit down and leave.

Or when I hold a door for someone and they don't acknowledge you in anyway or even give you the nod and I go "YOU ARE WELCOME!"

2 years ago I went into an O'Reillys near my farm - in a very small town. I pulled a dead battery out of our little tractor and brought it in. I set it down, just a normal car size battery, and the guys behind the counter are looking at pics on one of the others phone. I stand there for a beat or two, just about to walk out when one finally says "Can I help you?" and I said I need a battery. Of course I immediately get the "what's it for?" and I say a NH tractor. With a HUGE sigh he says "It's probably not in the system....." and trails off. Now this tractor is like 5 years old, so I am sure it is, but I just stare at him. He goes "I guess I could measure it.....and exhaustively goes thru the motions of looking for a tape measure. I just say "Never mind - I would not want to put you out...... " and take it off the counter and walk out. I hate people. I really just need to make the leap to a Hermit and do society a huge favor.

The littlest things set me off. I'm a total asshole. But when I do get decent service - I am usually a huge tipper and have written a lot of letters in my life to bosses praising a good worker who goes above and beyond. Sad it is so shocking to get great service nowadays, but I try and praise it as much as I can.

We are not the same, in general. For this one thing, maybe. But in general I'm not this person on the outside. I'm the guy who will follow the guy doing the speed limit for 30 miles. Bitch about it to myself. But not pass unless there is a specific passing zone to do so. ... but you just know that fucker will speed up as soon as you hit that passing zone ... Most times in public I am very patient and sometimes overly chatty to random people. The problem is I have one of those angry all the time faces and even when I'm happy I don't look it. I can't help that. LOL

I hate everyone in a cynical sense. I'll blame it on all the Carlin bits I grew up on.

Quote:
I understand that it's hard to convey the "feeling" of an interaction over the internet and it seems that most respondents have such busy lives that they are willing to encourage substandard customer service and/or buying their way through the day.

In these examples, the folks may have been working a menial job but that's their choice and no matter the job or how crappy the typical customer or their day, it is the employee job do their absolute best and provide superior customer service, not just fill a space behind the counter. And while I'm at it stop asking for tips!

If a company has a price match policy they should honor it. Yes, time is very very valuable but more importantly so is principle and I will spend much more time and not cave in or spend money b/c someone else isn't doing their job or aware of their companies policies.

As for PI/PPI, I get that in this particular case the pizza shop is only asking for a phone number to simplify their order processes or when on the phone doing it in an attempt to stop kids from placing fake orders. That said, by providing PI you are implicitly opting into data collection and marketing. You are helping the retailer create a "profile" with data that everyone is so willing to provide...phone number, credit card used, item purchased. That's gold!

As for burritos. If you're from the East coast, specifically, PA, NJ or NY and visit CA where burritos are more common than any other fast food choice, you would give an arm and leg for a decent piece of pizza. It almost seems like there isn't one Italian living in CA, at least not one that owns a restaurant.

Thing is my data concerns are not unfounded or crazy.
https://www.lexology.com/library/det...6-d75cdc25f216

In school and personal research it's become very apparent that the amount of ourselves we unknowingly give out and becomes part of some database for someone to make money is far larger than the majority realize. We don't have any access to it. We don't have any legal right to it, depending on data usage. We have so little control over ourselves and we don't even know it. Lawyers and the fine print ...

If you see someone having a bad day do you do anything to help them?
No? (because most of you haven't done anything to prove otherwise in my case)
Then why should I go out of my way to do it?

The best? worst? part of it is that I had a buddy message me last night and said he needs help at the pizza place and asked if I'd come back. Was one of the funest jobs I've had. I'm really thinking about it as a part time gig. I'm actually really good at customer service stuff and love the interaction.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #61
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Quote:
LMAO - I am going to let my GF read this tonight - she will immediately say "THIS IS YOU!"

Even reading it knowing it is me - I cringe. My father was the same way. I hate people. I hate standing in line. I hate having to explain the simplest of things to people who should know. I just can't do it.

I can't tell you how many times I've been in a line and the customer ahead of me goes and let's see.....and starts looking at the lottery ticket selection - like one is different from the other - and I just set my shit down and leave.

Or when I hold a door for someone and they don't acknowledge you in anyway or even give you the nod and I go "YOU ARE WELCOME!"

2 years ago I went into an O'Reillys near my farm - in a very small town. I pulled a dead battery out of our little tractor and brought it in. I set it down, just a normal car size battery, and the guys behind the counter are looking at pics on one of the others phone. I stand there for a beat or two, just about to walk out when one finally says "Can I help you?" and I said I need a battery. Of course I immediately get the "what's it for?" and I say a NH tractor. With a HUGE sigh he says "It's probably not in the system....." and trails off. Now this tractor is like 5 years old, so I am sure it is, but I just stare at him. He goes "I guess I could measure it.....and exhaustively goes thru the motions of looking for a tape measure. I just say "Never mind - I would not want to put you out...... " and take it off the counter and walk out. I hate people. I really just need to make the leap to a Hermit and do society a huge favor.

The littlest things set me off. I'm a total asshole. But when I do get decent service - I am usually a huge tipper and have written a lot of letters in my life to bosses praising a good worker who goes above and beyond. Sad it is so shocking to get great service nowadays, but I try and praise it as much as I can.

We are not the same, in general. For this one thing, maybe. But in general I'm not this person on the outside. I'm the guy who will follow the guy doing the speed limit for 30 miles. Bitch about it to myself. But not pass unless there is a specific passing zone to do so. ... but you just know that fucker will speed up as soon as you hit that passing zone ... Most times in public I am very patient and sometimes overly chatty to random people. The problem is I have one of those angry all the time faces and even when I'm happy I don't look it. I can't help that. LOL

I hate everyone in a cynical sense. I'll blame it on all the Carlin bits I grew up on.

Quote:
I understand that it's hard to convey the "feeling" of an interaction over the internet and it seems that most respondents have such busy lives that they are willing to encourage substandard customer service and/or buying their way through the day.

In these examples, the folks may have been working a menial job but that's their choice and no matter the job or how crappy the typical customer or their day, it is the employee job do their absolute best and provide superior customer service, not just fill a space behind the counter. And while I'm at it stop asking for tips!

If a company has a price match policy they should honor it. Yes, time is very very valuable but more importantly so is principle and I will spend much more time and not cave in or spend money b/c someone else isn't doing their job or aware of their companies policies.

As for PI/PPI, I get that in this particular case the pizza shop is only asking for a phone number to simplify their order processes or when on the phone doing it in an attempt to stop kids from placing fake orders. That said, by providing PI you are implicitly opting into data collection and marketing. You are helping the retailer create a "profile" with data that everyone is so willing to provide...phone number, credit card used, item purchased. That's gold!

As for burritos. If you're from the East coast, specifically, PA, NJ or NY and visit CA where burritos are more common than any other fast food choice, you would give an arm and leg for a decent piece of pizza. It almost seems like there isn't one Italian living in CA, at least not one that owns a restaurant.

In school and personal research it's become very apparent that the amount of ourselves we unknowingly give out and becomes part of some database for someone to make money is far larger than the majority realize. We don't have any access to it. We don't have any legal right to it, depending on data usage. We have so little control over ourselves and we don't even know it. Lawyers and the fine print ...

The best? worst? part of it is that I had a buddy message me last night and said he needs help at the pizza place and asked if I'd come back. Was one of the funest jobs I've had. I'm really thinking about it as a part time gig. I'm actually really good at customer service stuff and love the interaction.
As terrifying as it sounds at first with you + customer service, I believe you. It's why you feel so slighted with the poor service you receive - I bet even if you're just helping out a friend or doing things for fun / free, you give 100%. I bet you're very knowledgeable and if don't know something asked, you'll find out. You feel disappointed when others don't provide the same level of service because to you, it just seems like second nature and can't see why those now don't operate the same way as you.
Appreciate 3
omasou2088.00
King Rudi13154.00
      08-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #62
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

As terrifying as it sounds at first with you + customer service, I believe you. It's why you feel so slighted with the poor service you receive - I bet even if you're just helping out a friend or doing things for fun / free, you give 100%. I bet you're very knowledgeable and if don't know something asked, you'll find out. You feel disappointed when others don't provide the same level of service because to you, it just seems like second nature and can't see why those now don't operate the same way as you.
I think you summed it up very well.
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      08-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #63
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Whenever you don't want to give out a number, it's always 867-5309.
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      08-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #64
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I think you summed it up very well.
Better than how I summed up not standing in lines at least lol. That was my bad, it was a carry over from an earlier convo. Back when people stood in line for IPhones / PlayStation / Ticketmaster etc. not present day where it's all instant delivery, no. Hell, I remember when I was a younger, one of the PlayStation launches, I offered to buy one of the kids in the beginning of the line to purchase him a game of his choice if he held my place. I just never did care to stand in lines for hours, lol.

The autograph? Kobe's Nike release at Niketown Beverly Hills. People stood in line for a week in advance - I brought the kid standing first in line Subway for a few nights. He held my place in line, the day of launch? The first 8 people got to sit with Kobe and get the sneakers signed. All it cost me was a few $5 meals at Subway.

Now? There's fucking apps for everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #65
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

needed this ...

https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/movies...erica-2014-1-1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #66
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ We've all had days like you, just got to deal with it the best that you can.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00