BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Exhaust sound in sport mode

I've looked and can't find a thread on this so figured I'd ask. I'm just curious how the exhaust in sport mode works on my 640GC. I usually drive with my car in sport mode b/c I love the way the exhaust sounds. I have a friend who thinks I've got an aftermarket exhaust but I think it's stock. It sounds like a when you put it in sport mode there is an actuator that opens something on the exhaust and makes it louder.

Just curious and if this is an old question that's been answered sorry but couldn't find much.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #2
Lydiamight
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D Motorsport Convertible

I think that you will find that if your car is on the standard OEM exhaust system then the enhanced souncthat you hear from the exhaust when in sports mode is what BMW call "active sound" and is actually played through the speakers rather than making the exhaust sound any louder when outside the car. I also believe that you can code: the car for different sounds--including a V8 sound. Google "BMW active sound" and all will be revealed
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiamight View Post
I think that you will find that if your car is on the standard OEM exhaust system then the enhanced sound that you hear from the exhaust when in sports mode is what BMW call "active sound" and is actually played through the speakers rather than making the exhaust sound any louder when outside the car. I also believe that you can code: the car for different sounds--including a V8 sound. Google "BMW active sound" and all will be revealed
Thank you, I will research the active sound. I do know however that the sound is louder outside the car and when you put it in sport mode you can here a "click" and that's when the sound increases. Also, Sometimes when you engage the sport mode it might take a second longer than other times for the sound to deepen.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ibimmerguy View Post
I've looked and can't find a thread on this so figured I'd ask. I'm just curious how the exhaust in sport mode works on my 640GC. I usually drive with my car in sport mode b/c I love the way the exhaust sounds. I have a friend who thinks I've got an aftermarket exhaust but I think it's stock. It sounds like a when you put it in sport mode there is an actuator that opens something on the exhaust and makes it louder.

Just curious and if this is an old question that's been answered sorry but couldn't find much.
Some of it may be from the speakers, but I’ve noticed that the exhaust itself is louder and it ‘crackles and pops’ when you let off the gas. This is especially fun in parking garages. There’s a flap in the exhaust system that opens up in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
junaid.aamjad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC xDrive

Hey,

the right side exhaust does have a exhaust flap that opens and closes depending on which mode you are driving the car in. Also if you are in comfort mode and you accelerate hard, the flap opens then as well. To my surprise, my 2016 640i GC actually came with the muffler on one side but right side had a resonator with tip, no muffler itself hence my car is pretty loud and crackle/pops when in sport plus mode. i actually have the Active Sound Design coded out hence all i hear is exhaust noise and love it!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

I thought Active Sound Design is NOT installed on any 6 GC other than 640d? My theory should check out since my 15 640i GC does not show anything to code in terms of different exhaust sound (would love to do M6).
Also, exhaust flap is only available on V8 (650i) AFAIK.

Confused. Can anyone code a different ASD on their 640i GC?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
junaid.aamjad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC xDrive

iamvanja
when coding, i was only given option to disable it, there was no option to change sound so i disabled it on first day of having car so did not get a chance to see if there was any difference with it being disabled or left as is. in regards to the exhaust, i was told by dealer in canada that the exhaust on my car does have a flap that opens and closes based on how car is driven, also noticed that on my 640 GC, on every cold start, only driver side exhaust is open as that is the only exhaust i hear sound from
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

@junaid.aamjaid
Very interesting! Which coding method do you use? I don't see anything in BimmerCode.
I think for different sounds you have to go into manual mode. Since I was under impression that only 640d GC has the ASD, never looked into it.

I'd love ASD (was hunting for one on eBay at one point) and having a nice sound inside while the car is relatively quiet outside is best of the both worlds for me
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ibimmerguy View Post

Have you checked the newtis.info website? If not, here's a link to the exhaust system found on models with the N55 & N54 engines...it also explains the EXHAUST FLAP and that some models have a dual exhaust and some have a single exhaust: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ystem/F7Qaluzt

All I did was go to the site, click on f06 640i then typed EXHAUST SYSTEM in the search box...this was one of the links that came up in the results.

And the two screen captures below were found simply typing "EXHAUST FLAP" into the search box:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-12-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Have you checked the newtis.info website? If not, here's a link to the exhaust system found on models with the N55 & N54 engines...it also explains the EXHAUST FLAP and that some models have a dual exhaust and some have a single exhaust: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ystem/F7Qaluzt

All I did was go to the site, click on f06 640i then typed EXHAUST SYSTEM in the search box...this was one of the links that came up in the results.

And the two screen captures below were found simply typing "EXHAUST FLAP" into the search box:
Great info, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Recently purchased 2016 650 GC from a BMW dealer. It seems to me that the exhaust note on mine is not as aggressive as I have heard from Youtube videos (stock exhaust) as well as another 650 which I test drove before I bought mine.

In Sport Mode, should these valves not be open, regardless of throttle position? Even at idle? Mine are always closed (visually verified). At WOT, it does sound a lot better, but I am thinking something is not as it should be. Could there be a fuse that has been pulled I can check that BMW did not catch during the CPO inspection?

Thanks for any info.

L
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:32 AM   #12
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
Recently purchased 2016 650 GC from a BMW dealer. It seems to me that the exhaust note on mine is not as aggressive as I have heard from Youtube videos (stock exhaust) as well as another 650 which I test drove before I bought mine.

In Sport Mode, should these valves not be open, regardless of throttle position? Even at idle? Mine are always closed (visually verified). At WOT, it does sound a lot better, but I am thinking something is not as it should be. Could there be a fuse that has been pulled I can check that BMW did not catch during the CPO inspection?

Thanks for any info.

L
I’m perhaps in a minority here but I’m perfectly happy that my 650 isn’t outrageously loud when accelerating hard. I love that it’s very quiet when driving around normally with a nice deep but restrained V8 burble. However it’s alter ego can be induced when accelerating hard and the second flaps open....it does sound marvellous. Totally appropriate but still not AMG 63 raucous loud. Look if that’s your thing great but I love that my 650 isn’t overtly loud.
You don’t always need to shout to be heard....
You should hear an appreciable difference in sound, resonance and V8 bark when the baffles open , I certainly can. However without someone behind looking I’d have no idea visually how long they open for. As for them being open all the time, no they will not be. They will only be open when they are called for and that’s when you are calling for large throttle response have your foot down ie blasting onto a motorway.... 90% of the time they will be closed.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiamight View Post
I think that you will find that if your car is on the standard OEM exhaust system then the enhanced souncthat you hear from the exhaust when in sports mode is what BMW call "active sound" and is actually played through the speakers rather than making the exhaust sound any louder when outside the car. I also believe that you can code: the car for different sounds--including a V8 sound. Google "BMW active sound" and all will be revealed
My 2016 640 coupe doesn't have the fake sound piped through the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
I thought Active Sound Design is NOT installed on any 6 GC other than 640d? My theory should check out since my 15 640i GC does not show anything to code in terms of different exhaust sound (would love to do M6).
Also, exhaust flap is only available on V8 (650i) AFAIK.

Confused. Can anyone code a different ASD on their 640i GC?
You are correct. My dealer said the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
I’m perhaps in a minority here but I’m perfectly happy that my 650 isn’t outrageously loud when accelerating hard. I love that it’s very quiet when driving around normally with a nice deep but restrained V8 burble. However it’s alter ego can be induced when accelerating hard and the second flaps open....it does sound marvellous. Totally appropriate but still not AMG 63 raucous loud. Look if that’s your thing great but I love that my 650 isn’t overtly loud.
You don’t always need to shout to be heard....
You should hear an appreciable difference in sound, resonance and V8 bark when the baffles open , I certainly can. However without someone behind looking I’d have no idea visually how long they open for. As for them being open all the time, no they will not be. They will only be open when they are called for and that’s when you are calling for large throttle response have your foot down ie blasting onto a motorway.... 90% of the time they will be closed.
Am in complete agreement with JBF.
I like the majority of my driving smooth, comfortable, and admirable.
When I push the issue, those in proximity know...
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0