BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #23
gjohnsen
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
What were the signs that it was going bad or did it just stop working all together? I can hear a low hum going on and off and I think it is the transfer case as it sounds like it is coming from the middle of the car.
No humming related to transfer case problems. Under acceleration and load, the car feels like it has small hesitations and and that the engine is running uneven. Almost like skipping a beat in a rhythm. No load, no problems.

You can pull the 4x4 fuse in the trunk. I will disable the front wheel drive and transfer case. If the car then runs smooth you can blame the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #24
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsen View Post
No humming related to transfer case problems. Under acceleration and load, the car feels like it has small hesitations and and that the engine is running uneven. Almost like skipping a beat in a rhythm. No load, no problems.

You can pull the 4x4 fuse in the trunk. I will disable the front wheel drive and transfer case. If the car then runs smooth you can blame the transfer case.
Thanks for the feedback. Everything is running well. Just hear a off/on hum. Not sure what it is. It definitely does not sound like it is coming from the engine compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #25
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

So the consensus here is once the car is outside of the original warranty extending rhe warranty is a must?

I'm looking to get a 16 around 40k miles out of warranty. Is that a bad idea? I may end up going with a Panamera. I can't be bothered with crazy repair bills.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:58 AM   #26
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa View Post
So the consensus here is once the car is outside of the original warranty extending rhe warranty is a must?

I'm looking to get a 16 around 40k miles out of warranty. Is that a bad idea? I may end up going with a Panamera. I can't be bothered with crazy repair bills.
And a Panamera doesn't have crazy repair bills? Porsche is crazy expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And a Panamera doesn't have crazy repair bills? Porsche is crazy expensive.
Quick back story.

I've had a 12' Panamera 4S, a 15 M6 GC, and a 17 Panamera Turbo. The 12 Panamera ended up with some front suspension issues that were handling under warranty right before I sold it to get into the M6 GC. The M6 had no issues at all in the almost 2 years of ownership. Same with the Panamera Turbo. Both of these cars are expensive to fix. If something goes wrong the dealer is going to bleed you. My concern is figuring out the probability of something going wrong.

The panamera is more expensive and I would only consider getting another 17. Since my previous 17 was wrecked (Long Story). I'd like to get a low mileage 16 if possible but I'm turned off by aftermarket warranties. The pickings are slim for CPO cars in general. So just trying to get a feel for the risk associated with self warrantying a car. If all that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

As you have seen, both the Panamera and the M6 can be problem free. The M6, for example, can be very costly to repair. Many have been reported to have rod bearing issues that have caused complete engine failures (up to $40K in repairs). Point is, most of these cars will probably be fine, especially if maintained well. What does "most" mean? No idea...maybe 75%, maybe 90%. If you get one of the ones that has issues, it will suck.

It's like buying a stock in a sector that is volatile but exciting. If everything goes well, you are very happy. If it doesn't, you could lose most, if not all, of your investment. To decrease risk, buy a stock in a more stable, boring sector. You get my point as it relates to cars. My advice is you buy the car model that really speaks to you and find the individual car that you think has the best odds of not failing. But it is like buying a lottery ticket...you simply don't know which one will win and which one will fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #29
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Everything is running well. Just hear a off/on hum. Not sure what it is. It definitely does not sound like it is coming from the engine compartment.
Update...the humming was coming from the front wheel bearings. Both fronts had to be replaced. Cost a nice $1200 for that lovely gift.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #30
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

How long will you keep it and how many miles will you put put on it? If you own cars for 2 years or less, and you won't put crazy miles on it, then the risk goes way down. As I said above, my CPO ended at the end of June. My costs since then is one oil change, cabin air filters, and flush the brake fluid. All DIY. None of that is warranty work, but if a window regulator fails tomorrow, I'll DIY. If you don't or can't DIY, then the warranty makes at least some more sense because the cost difference for something like that between a dealer and DIY is probably 3:1. I don't DIY to save money, although it's a bonus, I do it because it's kinda fun and so somebody who could care less about my car does not touch it. I'm sick of things being wrong or damaged virtually every time somebody else touches my car. But the bottom line is that the odds are you will not recover your warranty money. So you probably will not actually buy car repairs with that money, you will buy peace of mind. Only you can decide what that is worth to you. It apparently is not worth much to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #31
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
How long will you keep it and how many miles will you put put on it? If you own cars for 2 years or less, and you won't put crazy miles on it, then the risk goes way down. As I said above, my CPO ended at the end of June. My costs since then is one oil change, cabin air filters, and flush the brake fluid. All DIY. None of that is warranty work, but if a window regulator fails tomorrow, I'll DIY. If you don't or can't DIY, then the warranty makes at least some more sense because the cost difference for something like that between a dealer and DIY is probably 3:1. I don't DIY to save money, although it's a bonus, I do it because it's kinda fun and so somebody who could care less about my car does not touch it. I'm sick of things being wrong or damaged virtually every time somebody else touches my car. But the bottom line is that the odds are you will not recover your warranty money. So you probably will not actually buy car repairs with that money, you will buy peace of mind. Only you can decide what that is worth to you. It apparently is not worth much to me.
100% what he said about DIY. The 6er is generally a well screwed together car. Mine is an early example (2012) just a couple of thousand miles from 60k and really the only major problems it's had has been a fuel pump that was replaced several years ago, a new battery, upgraded turbo coolant lines. Minors like spark plugs and coils are run of the mill and the only expensive thing that still needs doing are injectors. Other than that it's pretty sweet. Warranties here in NZ are fairly comprehensive plus we have a rigorous yearly warrant system (roadworthy inspection every year...they will fail you for worn wiper blades) so I took one with the 6er only because it has the pre-tu N63 mill. I'm quite a capable DIYer and the jobs I can't do are often due to lacking equipment. Overall though if you're looking at an older, high mileage car with dubious service history get a warranty, but really you shouldn't be looking at one of those anyway. Just my 2c :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #32
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

I'm really not one for DIY. I'd like to but I do not have the time. This car is going to be used to shuttle me to and from the airport and Walmart. Lol.

Can anyone tell me anything about easy care warranty's? I may grab one with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:59 AM   #33
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Quote:
Quick back story.

I've had a 12' Panamera 4S, a 15 M6 GC, and a 17 Panamera Turbo. The 12 Panamera ended up with some front suspension issues that were handling under warranty right before I sold it to get into the M6 GC. The M6 had no issues at all in the almost 2 years of ownership. Same with the Panamera Turbo. Both of these cars are expensive to fix. If something goes wrong the dealer is going to bleed you. My concern is figuring out the probability of something going wrong.

The panamera is more expensive and I would only consider getting another 17. Since my previous 17 was wrecked (Long Story). I'd like to get a low mileage 16 if possible but I'm turned off by aftermarket warranties. The pickings are slim for CPO cars in general. So just trying to get a feel for the risk associated with self warrantying a car. If all that makes sense.
OP here and I'm kind of in the same boat. My options are either keeping my 2014 650 and adding a 3rd party warrant for a couple of years, buying a newer '16 650 either certified or at CarMax along with their warranty, an M6 GC, or Panamera (both either certified, 3rd party warranty, or CarMax). The consensus is that the Porsche is more reliable, but that potential repair costs could be even higher. This is why for any of these options, a warranty would be preferred. I can afford to take the hit on a $3-5k warranty, but a potential $20k or more repair bill on any of these cars would hit pretty hard.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #34
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

I'm leaning toward going without a warranty. The quote I got from easycare of for $7k. That money gets me 30k miles of warranty. I don't know about that. The car has about 5 months left on the factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #35
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
I'm leaning toward going without a warranty. The quote I got from easycare of for $7k. That money gets me 30k miles of warranty. I don't know about that. The car has about 5 months left on the factory warranty.
I got one from enterprise financial group for less than half that so you may want to check them out.
Haven't heard from you since the AHH days (b00kie) I didn't know you came back after the Panamera
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #36
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
Quote:
I got one from enterprise financial group for less than half that so you may want to check them out.
Haven't heard from you since the AHH days (b00kie) I didn't know you came back after the Panamera
Hass my Boy! What's good bro?!

Wrecked the Panamera a few months ago. Picked up a Lambo Huracan and a G Wagon. Only to have the wife hijack the G Wagon.. So need to grab something I can daily. So decided to grab another M6.

Whats going on with you? Are you in a M6 too these days?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #37
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Hass my Boy! What's good bro?!

Wrecked the Panamera a few months ago. Picked up a Lambo Huracan and a G Wagon. Only to have the wife hijack the G Wagon.. So need to grab something I can daily. So decided to grab another M6.

Whats going on with you? Are you in a M6 too these days?
Man i been good, chilled out a bit lol.
'14 650 coupe for now. got it dropped on 22.
I got the lifted z71 for the biz (Texas rubbed off on me). Wifey tries to grab those keys when she can, so i know where you at with that! They like to sit up high.
Huracan is one beautiful whip you're killin it. I remember you showing the new 6 series interior/idrive screens and that was one of the reasons I became interested in it.
Appreciate 0