BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

Coding apps

Is the consensus that Carly is the best solution? Also according to my car's data card I have an option on my vehicle - WiFi OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
Not sure what that means. Is it built in and I do not have to buy third part hardware/ software? Any thoughts?
      04-28-2019, 03:21 AM   #2
DE4NO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 640d f13 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitaka View Post
Is the consensus that Carly is the best solution? Also according to my car's data card I have an option on my vehicle - WiFi OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner
Not sure what that means. Is it built in and I do not have to buy third part hardware/ software? Any thoughts?
As far as coding goes, I use carly as find it easy to use. Bimmercode is very similar too but if you are more computer literate than me you could try esys which give you more coding options.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Interested in learning more about esys. I used Carly for a year, but there are things I'd like to do, such as flashing OEM firmware to the car (to reset to factory settings) and coding in the anti-glare headlamps.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hands down Bimmercode is the easiest and best platform for coding your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
TomCLee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i xDrive GT

Garage List
Hi All, I new to this forum. I have a 2018 BMW 640i xDrive GT and i brought the Carly for BMW Adapter and Full App. I trying to code the VIM and the app is tell me to deactivate the speed lock in my xDrive in order for the VIM to work. How do I deactivate the speed lock and what is speed lock?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:40 AM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
It all depends on what your definition of "best" is. I used NSCExpert on my E-series cars and now Esys and ISTA on the F12. The learning curve with Esys is much lower than that of NSCExpert, but it is still by now means a "point and click" solution. If you are just looking to tweak some settings then the likes of Carly etc. should be fine. Anything more in depth like flashing modules or complicated retrofits and your only option is Esys.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
It all depends on what your definition of "best" is. I used NSCExpert on my E-series cars and now Esys and ISTA on the F12. The learning curve with Esys is much lower than that of NSCExpert, but it is still by now means a "point and click" solution. If you are just looking to tweak some settings then the likes of Carly etc. should be fine. Anything more in depth like flashing modules or complicated retrofits and your only option is Esys.
Hugo, a while back I was looking for something that would enable me to restore the car to factory settings, kind of like what you'd do with a cell phone or tablet. Would you say that esys would be a good choice for that? It might address the error I'm getting from the new head unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Hugo, a while back I was looking for something that would enable me to restore the car to factory settings, kind of like what you'd do with a cell phone or tablet. Would you say that esys would be a good choice for that? It might address the error I'm getting from the new head unit.
Esys can do what is called an FA code on ECUs. This takes your car's FA, or build sheet with options, and codes the default values to the particular ECU. This restores it to the state it was prior to any customisations.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Esys can do what is called an FA code on ECUs. This takes your car's FA, or build sheet with options, and codes the default values to the particular ECU. This restores it to the state it was prior to any customisations.
So, it restores defaults. Fair enough. Now, what would I use to completely re-flash the code with the most current software for the modukes, or would that be asking for trouble?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

Dumb question:
If I get BimmerCode does that also include car diagnostics. From what I see on YouTube the app gives you many options to customize your vehicle but does it also read fault codes etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #11
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
So, it restores defaults. Fair enough. Now, what would I use to completely re-flash the code with the most current software for the modukes, or would that be asking for trouble?
You would also use ESYS for that, but it's not advisable if you do not have a high quality external PSU for the car since some of the modules can take several hours or more to flash.
Appreciate 0