BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Catted Downpipe question

If I was to add catted Supersprint or Fabspeed cat downpipes to my car with the M Performance Acrapovic exhaust, would I still need to add a tune to eliminate CEL codes? And if I do not add a tune would I see any performance improvement?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I had the fabseed highflow catted downpipes, and you will have a CEL but not all the time. It usually comes and goes so yes if you want to not have it you will have to code it out with something like bootmod 3. In regards to peformance you will see a gain as the turbos spool up more freely abd faster and the ecu will see this and adapt the f/a ratio and timing to accomodate. I went with fully decatted downpipes because I am stage 2 tuned. Just fyi though with the high flow cat downpipes thw fuel smell was almost none existent except when you get on it vs the fully decatted you will def smell it more all the time. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      12-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
If I was to add catted Supersprint or Fabspeed cat downpipes to my car with the M Performance Acrapovic exhaust, would I still need to add a tune to eliminate CEL codes? And if I do not add a tune would I see any performance improvement?
Thank you
Going off the below, if Fabspeed throws a CEL every now and then and you don't want to deal with that, I'd look into the Active Autowerke downpipes, they won't throw a CEL as they are denser, but not by much.
TomM673.00
      12-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedphil698 View Post
Quote:
Thank you
Going off the below, if Fabspeed throws a CEL every now and then and you don't want to deal with that, I'd look into the Active Autowerke downpipes, they won't throw a CEL as they are denser, but not by much.
I will look at those then, thank you for the info
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #5
15Geez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Hey TomM6, I'm also in the DMV area (VA). I was wondering which route you ended up going regarding the catted downpipes. Did you purchasing them?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
BlaqDynamite6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F12

Quote:
Thank you
I’m in the (D)MV area as well and was thinking of going catless w/stage 2 tune on my F12. From what I’ve read, you’ll need a tune to eliminate the CEL
Appreciate 1
TomM673.00
      04-06-2022, 07:34 AM   #7
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you all, I decided against it as I am happy with the car as it is and will just enjoy it!
Appreciate 0