BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
Jsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Timing chain replacement

Hi

I have had an intermittent drivetrain malfunction which i could usually clear by turning the car off and on again, however it became more frequent. i was advised the error was camshaft position so the sensors and solenoids were replaced. following this work the issue became permanent.

I am now being advised to replace the timing chain as it has stretched.

Cost to do this is £8000.

i am speechless to be honest, and i dont know what to do.

the car has only done 60k miles, it was remapped at one point but has been back to standard software for quite some time. The map was done by a well respected and very commonly used company (Evolve). The cause of the issue is kind of irrelevant in any case but i literally have no idea where to go from here.

has anyone ever had to replace the timing chain on the M6? the vast majority of the cost is labour apparently.

This has come at a time where i actually need to sell the car asap as i have a dog and believe it or not the M6 is not particularly dog friendly.

BMW are not willing to help me in any way with this, and after 12 years of BMW ownership i think i am finally done with this brand for good.

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I am Not sure how a timing chain can stretch to be honest, have you a warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
that sucks! Just so you know, its not just BMW. Its the sheer cost of owning a 120k+ car. It MAY depreciate 60-70%, but the parts/labor and upkeep will still be the same as a 120K car. Doesn't matter if its BMW, Audi, Rover, or the exotics. Just mentioning as you said you're done w the BMW brand.

BTW, no manufac will honor any defects past warranty, not sure why you're holding BMW to it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
Jsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

No warranty and even if it did, because they said there is evidence of tuning on the ECU the warranty would have been invalidated.

Its because its a 120k+ car that i'm annoyed about it. I don't expect to have to deal with chain elongation at 60k miles on a 'flagship' model. You wouldn't expect to have to do a belt so soon and they use chains because they are supposed to be more durable.

Additionally, the majority of the cost is labour which is massively inflated and virtually all profit, considering their costs are fixed and I know the technician isn't paid £6k per week.

I would be more understanding if i needed enriched uranium which could only be extracted from the centre of the earth, but its just steel, and a couple days of one mans time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #5
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Sounds like a job for a good, well respected indy... At least get a quote from someone other than a BMW main agent.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Have you considered getting an RK Autowerks Stock Rebuild? My engine ate itself not too long ago and it was a real kick in the gut. Sorry you are having to deal with this but I can with 100% confidence say you won't go wrong with an RK engine.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 04:51 AM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Have another shop look into the problem before just changing the timing chain , It might be something overlooked, maybe bad cam adjuster
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I don't know where you are based in England. Prestige German Cars in South Shield Newcastle quoted to me £1250 with 2 year warranty to repair my timing chain on F10.

They are quite reliable