BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-26-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
Chilldontsice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 MG GC

Manual brake release

Can Anyone help me find where the ebrake release is? Looked in the trunk but looks like a different layout than other models, and online didn't show the 6 model. TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I don’t know if any of the info below will be of help since electronics is at the root of the car going into park as well as the transmission being electronically actuated, too. You didn’t give any details as to why you’re asking.

There is no easy way to get the car out of park or release the brake…see instructions below for a way to move the vehicle (if this is your issue) when there’s no power. The video at the bottom shows the procedure outlined in the text below.

TIP: you can pull the fuse to the fuel pump to keep the engine turning but not start…and if your battery is dead, you can hook up jumper cables or a battery charger to the engine bay terminals.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-27-2022 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #3
Chilldontsice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 MG GC

Sorry about that. I pulled into a parking spot and engaged the parking break and immediately received a ebrake malfunction message in yellow. The actual parking break button light is no longer eliminated either.

The car's battery is in working order with no indicator lights illuminating, I did a soft reset, disconnected the battery, checked the boot for a ebrake release but no luck.

I actually did try the method you posted also (thanks for the response) but to no avail. Apparently the pre LCI models had some some sort of manual release under the cup holders but mine being lci no longer has that.

The car is in a safe location and after having… hmm about 6 various tow trucks come out to do the deed, I finally found one to help tow it tomorrow. It will need individual GoJack wheel dollies for the rear wheels to roll it for placement on the tow. There was one obscure post a few years back where one member mentioned doing this while in a similar situation.

Can't believe there's no manual release for these cars but it is what it is still a great car. I'll update tomorrow once/ if towed successfully.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the additional info…and yes BMW should have kept that manual release. But if anyone owning a pre LCI F chassis 6 series…you do not have the manual release either.

BMW stopped using it in some models around 2010/2011…but did continue to use it in other models…the f12/f13/f06 got left out. My f15 doesn’t have the tool but BMW still designed a wire loop that will release the brake which is found behind the left rear cargo door. BMW should have done the same for the six series.

You can tell you don’t have it because the orange release tool (#4 in diagram below) is not in the pouch where the tow hook and screw driver are kept.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-27-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0