BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #1
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Raw value oil level when at max?

I got a low engine oil message the other day saying to top off with 1 quart as soon as possible. I ran the engine oil level check and the bar was yellow and exactly at the minimum line.

So I went over to my local petrol station and topped off with 1L 5W-30 Full Synthetic, ran the test and the green bar was exactly in the middle. Added another half-litre and green bar didn't move. At this point the service guy mentioned that he's seen this and that BMW recommends adding 2 quarts (roughly 2L) when you're at minimum.

I did a quick check online while I was there and did indeed see a service bulletin from BMW recommending to add 2 quarts for N63TU when at min. So we added the remaining half-litre, ran the test, and green bar still didn't move! And it hasn't changed in the few days since.

I'm hoping if someone has BimmerLink or similar app, and are at Max fuel level, can you check what your Raw value oil level reading is showing? Mine is at 91mm right now. If its supposed to be higher than that, then maybe I just need to add more. I have been driving a bit rough heavy footed this month in Sport+ most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

I have never gotten a message to Add 1 quart, it only comes on to add 2 quarts. Which makes sense since the engine holds 9.5 quarts. Same as adding 1 quart to a vehicle the holds 5 quarts. or 20%.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #3
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine650 View Post
I have never gotten a message to Add 1 quart, it only comes on to add 2 quarts. Which makes sense since the engine holds 9.5 quarts. Same as adding 1 quart to a vehicle the holds 5 quarts. or 20%.
Strange. Mine says 1 quart (or litre can't remember) when it reaches minimum. Mine is a European build, are you US? Could be the difference? Or maybe I-level update?

Anyway, if someone has BimmerLink or similar and can check the raw value oil level when it's at max that would be helpful I'd rather not risk adding more since I've already added 2L.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Do not add more oil. If your oil level is 1/4 or higher ABOVE the minimum amount…you’re OK.

Depending on build date or if the car has been reprogrammed determines if 1 or 2 quarts/liters are recommended when the minimum oil level is met.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 02:49 AM   #5
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Do not add more oil. If your oil level is 1/4 or higher ABOVE the minimum amount…you’re OK.

Depending on build date or if the car has been reprogrammed determines if 1 or 2 quarts/liters are recommended when the minimum oil level is met.
I know I'm OK with oil level over minimum. I'm curious as to why I'm still at half way despite adding 2 litres soon as I got the minimum warning.

This is why I want to know what raw value level others are seeing when they are at maximum.

Appreciate 1