BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’m not a Musk fan but I think he is making excellent moves, swiftly. There will be some missteps, easily correctable (like the blue check thing last week). But overall this will be good for the business and realizing its real potential.

He runs “hardcore” at SpaceX and Tesla from what I’ve been told, also.
+1

It is even more enjoyable to watch everyone lose their sh*t over it all, including the media.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3443.50
ntg442887.50
      11-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #24
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I agree with some things and that things are the way they are in the US especially and corporate culture in general. I very much disagree with it continuing though. What is the point of Musk coming in and making enemies with thousands of people? Many who he needs as has been shown by his backtracking on some of this. How does this help anything? Also, study after study has shown that employees with better work life balance are much more productive. I think we are nuts what we ask employees to do in some cases and it is counter productive usually for all involved. Just because something has been done one way forever doesn’t mean it is the right way. And no, a lot of people don’t have a choice and just have to take it for various reasons.

Musk still may turn it around, but he has definitely made it harder for himself and everyone else their that truly wants to stay and turn it around. Again, what is the point of that?
I'd definitely agree with the point that just because something has been done a certain way before is no reason for why it should continue to be done that way. Maybe it should, maybe there is a better way. While Musk strikes me as a workaholic, I feel as though he is probably most centred on getting whatever it is he wants done, done as quickly/efficiently as possible. If that were true, and if the studies are true that a better work life balance makes employees more productive, I have to think that he would be more than willing to pivot to that...again, provided that it demonstrably pays off. Studies can be wrong for a variety of reasons.

Like I said, I think Musk has likely miscalculated here, but I'm not sure. But the reason I say that is because to your point, I think he has likely gone so far, that it has made it more difficult then necessary for this to be a success. I think we all knew there would be a number of departures given the noted differences between the typical employee's approach and Musk's approach to the world, the question is whether the number of departures has reached a critical point where there it will be extremely difficult to recover from. It might have.

Time will tell, but nonetheless, I think you could probably agree that this will be very interesting to see how things play out by this time next year. Twitter might be gone (or effectively gone), or it might be quite successful, albeit having pivoted to a slightly (or radically) different space.

I'm not going to bet against the muskrat. His legion of loyal tesla followers have taught me that. Just not sure I would ever invest either...little volatile for me.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      11-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Anyone else fascinated by this future management book chapter in how not to run a company?
I mean, what you're saying is that you could do better, or that you know something he doesn't. Yeah, not buying that, no matter at what cheap price you're selling.

Quote:
I think this whole thing is a massive miscalculation by Musk.
And that's because you aren't him, and don't see what he sees. If you were...

It's not only possible that he's making mistakes, but probable. However, he's Elon, he's learning things from his approach that other people just won't/can't.

Give it time.
Thank you. You made me do a little self reflection there. I'm not saying I could do better, but I am jumping to the conclusion that what he's doing is a chaotic shitshow and a total mistake. If he pivots Twitter into a massive financial success everyone will look back and say the guy was a genius and did what he had to do to right the ship and grow the company.

So yeah, I don't like his methods and it's not how I'd treat people, but you're 100% correct that it's too early to call his methods a failure.
Appreciate 3
minn1913970.00
///MPhatic13538.50
      11-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #26
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

he didn't buy it to make money. He bought it to own a media company. He wants to own the 4th estate. A modern Murdoch.

It's really sad that instead of keeping the govt in check, the "press" has become a way for billionaires to own the govt and control the view of the public.

Jan 6 would not have happened before FB/Twitter and definitely not pre-NewsCorp.

Propaganda machines removed from reality have played an essential role in democracies dying since the beginning of time.

This is what Musk is trying to do here.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #27
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
So, from someone who regularly deals with M&A and is in the finance world, most folks need to simmer down a bit - what he is doing is likely a common practice known as Whaling and Culling.

Regardless of your opinion on the matter, it usually works. It's just that most acquisitions don't publicly talk about it like Elon does. There was a good article by Oliver Campbell the other day that summed it up - see below:

https://twitter.com/oliverbcampbell/...-and-booyah%2F
DETRoadster11446.00
2000cs3443.50
RickFLM410874.50
vreihen1614882.00
Dino GT35121.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-18-2022, 02:33 PM   #28
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Thank you. You made me do a little self reflection there. I'm not saying I could do better, but I am jumping to the conclusion that what he's doing is a chaotic shitshow and a total mistake. If he pivots Twitter into a massive financial success everyone will look back and say the guy was a genius and did what he had to do to right the ship and grow the company.

So yeah, I don't like his methods and it's not how I'd treat people, but you're 100% correct that it's too early to call his methods a failure.
I just think that most intelligent people live in the real world, where the rules apply, and 2 + 2 is always 4. People like Elon are at home in the event horizon, where things don't make so much sense, but they have an ability to predict the outcome with some certainty anyway. Even the outcome usually isn't the obvious with him. I have a hard time believing he'd buy a car to drive it. He just sees things differently.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #29
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

i dont care one way or the other, but this is what happens when you use your fuck you money as fuck you money.

Would twitter going belly up suck for him if he lost $44bill? Yeah, and would suck more when he has to pay back those investors the money and whatever interest or incentives he owes them, but for a guy with a net worth of $200 billion, its not gonna suck that much.

Im just sitting back and watching the meltdown. Him hiring "back" those 2 guys, Ligma and Johnson, that trolled the media perfectly is great to see.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      11-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #30
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Last, why is it assumed that if someone doesn’t want to go “hardcore” they are automatically considered slackers and not productive/important employees?
I dont think "hardcore" is even what normal people would call hardcore; probably more of a "work an actual job" than anything. Over the years, theres been tons of videos/posts of twitter employees showing their typical day. Show up late, eat breakfast, maybe jump on a call, head to lunch, do some meditating or something, maybe jump on another call, grab a coffee, do a little work, and then peace out. Seems more like a casual work retreat than an actual job.

Even on most of the job/company websites, they report a majority of employees work 40hrs or less per week. and when you see the reports from current/former employees talking about how much work they actually do in a day, you can understand why he would want them to be more "hardcore" and why a lot of people are upset.

The difference between Musk coming in and getting rid of slackers and underperformers, and what happens in other companies when they get bought out or a new boss comes in, is he is doing it much more publicly, to a much more public company, whose employees know how to get the most exposure from it. Add in Musk seems to be the current enemy of a lot of the regular media, and it seems to be getting way blown out of proportion.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15560.00
Run Silent15127.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #31
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Can Musk pull it off and turn this thing into the next massive success?
A company that was already worth more than some major car manufacturers wasn't already a success?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #32
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
I dont think "hardcore" is even what normal people would call hardcore; probably more of a "work an actual job" than anything. Over the years, theres been tons of videos/posts of twitter employees showing their typical day. Show up late, eat breakfast, maybe jump on a call, head to lunch, do some meditating or something, maybe jump on another call, grab a coffee, do a little work, and then peace out. Seems more like a casual work retreat than an actual job.

Even on most of the job/company websites, they report a majority of employees work 40hrs or less per week. and when you see the reports from current/former employees talking about how much work they actually do in a day, you can understand why he would want them to be more "hardcore" and why a lot of people are upset.

The difference between Musk coming in and getting rid of slackers and underperformers, and what happens in other companies when they get bought out or a new boss comes in, is he is doing it much more publicly, to a much more public company, whose employees know how to get the most exposure from it. Add in Musk seems to be the current enemy of a lot of the regular media, and it seems to be getting way blown out of proportion.
I’m sure there is some of that, but blanket statements are usually wrong and I think they are here too. And a lot of those new bosses mess up and make things harder on themselves because they start getting rid of people before they know truly what they do and if they are valuable or not. But they look good to the new owners and don’t care because they are part of the club. Until it is there turn to be on the other end of it………….

What’s with the media stuff? He’s a hugely influential person in the world and him buying one of the biggest media companies in the world is news. Especially when an extremely large percentage of the work force is let go. That is also news period. When do massive layoffs from a large company and the reasons why not get reported on?

I think that is what the story is, not that he is letting people go but such a huge percentage of it and how he is doing it.

Last edited by minn19; 11-18-2022 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #33
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
A company that was already worth more than some major car manufacturers wasn't already a success?
It was a success in terms of market valuation, but not profitability. There are other success metrics that it can boast about (competitive position and market share come to mind), and others it sucks at. There is plenty of room for improvement in most metrics and I’m sure lots of global opportunity. But Twitter shouldn’t scale further until Musk can figure out the economics/profitability.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent15127.00
RickFLM410874.50
Germanauto9665.50
KRS_SN13100.00
      11-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #34
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
It was a success in terms of market valuation, but not profitability. There are other success metrics that it can boast about (competitive position and market share come to mind), and others it sucks at. There is plenty of room for improvement in most metrics and I’m sure lots of global opportunity. But Twitter shouldn’t scale further until Musk can figure out the economics/profitability.
They were successful at getting it bought for billions.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3443.50
      11-18-2022, 05:27 PM   #35
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Imagine if Elon was behind FTX, he would already be walking in shackles.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #36
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post

In a recent interview with Baron Capital, Elon stated since taking over Twitter his work week has gone from 80 hours to 120 hours a week. His schedule is now go to sleep, wake up, work, go to sleep, work...etc. The guy looked absolutely exhausted during the interview.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 05:45 PM   #37
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

Musk is a foking, Egomaniacal, Narcissistic, Asshole. I hope Twitter completely collapses and he loses BILLIONS!

MFs like him are a perfect example of having too much power and the repercussions their egos bring.

Like Kendrick Lamar said, "Be Humble".
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #38
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Musk is a foking, Egomaniacal, Narcissistic, Asshole. I hope Twitter completely collapses and he loses BILLIONS!

MFs like him are a perfect example of having too much power and the repercussions their egos bring.

That's a pretty sad mindset to have - rooting against him bc he has an ego?

I really don't know what's wrong with the e-mail he sent out. He wants people back in the office and to actually work. It's obviously unrealistic of him to expect everyone to have his drive but he's making a point and trying to change the attitude there.

You're mad at him because he wants Twitter to be successful? Such a bizarre take I've seen repeatedly from the MSM
Appreciate 6
      11-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #39
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Lots of name calling and no substance.

Why is he an egomaniac?
Why is he not humble?
Why is he an asshole?

What is the repercussion his ego brought?
Appreciate 5
      11-18-2022, 06:08 PM   #40
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I don’t think he miscalculated anything and don’t think anyone with money at stake is concerned. No one put money in for Twitter to maintain status quo.

As pointed out by other posters in this thread, this is common in M&A and he is trying to change the culture. The playbook calls for acting quickly and decisively on these actions, not slowly, which is what would really make a mess. The only thing unusual is the public news details for a private company, because he is who he is. Otherwise, since they don’t have public shareholders or SEC reporting obligations, he can cut deeply and recover, as necessary, without major damage. Twitter was not on a sustainable path. He will either fix that or kill it off trying. Mostly his money and money of people betting on him so doing anything other than what he thinks is the way to do it would be the real mistake.

Last edited by RickFLM4; 11-18-2022 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tyga113227.00
      11-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #41
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Lots of name calling and no substance.

Why is he an egomaniac?
Why is he not humble?
Why is he an asshole?

What is the repercussion his ego brought?
He's just trying to get the dead weight out of the company. There are no specific demands as far as employees working specific hours, weekends, etc. He's giving people an 'out' who want one and providing a pretty good severance package. That's not even counting how much money he's made the employees with that purchase price who had stock options...

I personally think it's brilliant since Twitter has been so stagnant the past 10 years.

He's treating Twitter like a startup. I love it.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #42
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
That's a pretty sad mindset to have - rooting against him bc he has an ego?

I really don't know what's wrong with the e-mail he sent out. He wants people back in the office and to actually work. It's obviously unrealistic of him to expect everyone to have his drive but he's making a point and trying to change the attitude there.

You're mad at him because he wants Twitter to be successful? Such a bizarre take I've seen repeatedly from the MSM
His post was more of an emotional political outburst than a contribution to the discussion based on reasoned logic.
________4157.00
M3WC3639.00
jzmundy991.00
      11-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #43
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'd give it time. He's the richest guy in the world isn't he? And for better or worse, he's been an iconic innovator. I'm sure he will figure it out.

The people complaining and trolling him are the "establishment" types who want Twitter to continue on as a cesspool of misinformation and division. I can't think of a single website that has caused more damage to American society than Twitter has since its inception. I applaud Elon for trying to do something about it.
Appreciate 5
________4157.00
RickFLM410874.50
Dino GT35121.00
      11-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #44
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Last, why is it assumed that if someone doesn't want to go "hardcore" they are automatically considered slackers and not productive/important employees?
Today just showing up at your job at the office and putting in 40.0001 hours makes an employee hardcore. Yes currently the bargaining power is in favor of the employees but the entitlement mindset is out of control. VP in a year, raises every quarter, work life balance, work from home. I can't imagine what it's like at a company like Twitter. Fuck the employees. I used to go to the office put in 60 hour weeks, now I work from home remotely permanently in a different state. If my company told me I have to go in, I'd go in or get fucked, I would completely understand why.
Appreciate 0