BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #23
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Yes, T is TU. There is no T.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 06:40 AM   #24
Mnfamilyguy2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2018 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Those look like aftermarket wheels. They are not original. I think they look fine.
Those are BMW 741M wheels, I believe they started coming as options on X5's and X6's in 2020.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #25
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
Here are the 4 items that have the 10 year extended warranty:

Are these issues found with the N63TU as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #26
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Yes. The last one is the vent lines I told you to have them check for. Those can fail without you knowing it. If the injectors or high pressure fuel pump fail you won't need me to tell you. I've had no issue with those.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #27
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

If you are getting the car inspected at an actual BMW dealer, ask them to tell you the actual "in service" date. That is the date the car was first sold and the warranty began to run. That way you will know when the ten years expires for these four items. You may be past 10 years already. My car is a 2015, but it is a very early production 2015 and its in service date was June 25, 2014. If yours was an early 2013 you may have passed 10 years sometime this year already.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #28
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
If you are getting the car inspected at an actual BMW dealer, ask them to tell you the actual "in service" date. That is the date the car was first sold and the warranty began to run. That way you will know when the ten years expires for these four items. You may be passed 10 years already. My car is a 2015, but it is a very early production 2015 and its in service date was June 25, 2014. If yours was an early 2013 you may have passed 10 years sometime this year already.
OK sounds good. I think it was first sold in the middle of the year. It's on the carfax report, but I'll definitely ask them. And yes I'm going to a bmw dealership service center. I do have a local mechanic that works on my X5 but I want to get BMW's take on the car and have the dealer cover any repairs it may need. The dealer offers a 100 day warranty so I'm trying to maximize that
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #29
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I've had the vent lines and the high pressure fuel pump replaced under this extension.

Mine is a 2013 with 37,000 miles. Built Jan 15, 2013 so my warranty is almost over.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #30
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Actually just used the Vin to find out the production was 9/2012. Might be too late 😭😭😭. Hopefully the previous owner took advantage of the repairs offered by bmw
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:37 AM   #31
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

And if you want, we can tell you if you have the old or new vent lines before you go for the inspection so they don't BS you. On top of the engine you have the big decorative cover. It just pops off, but pop it carefully so you don't break off any of the 10 year old heat-baked posts. Just pull it up at the front an inch or two off the two posts there, then slide your hand under the middle of each side for those two, and then at the sides near the back for the last two. Then just post up a picture of the front half of the exposed engine. The lines sit right on top just behind the alternator and run from side to side on a narrow metal "tray." We can tell by looking if they are the old or new style.
And while you have the engine cover off, unscrew the black cap on the little coolant reservoir that is dead center at the front. Look to see if the coolant is up to the obvious "full" line. Your car has two separate cooling systems. That secondary system cools the two engine computers and the two "charge air coolers" for the turbochargers - those two aluminum "boxes" on either side of the coolant reservoir. That coolant system often gets ignored because it has no level sensor or warning. And you are wondering why I would tell you to do that when you are paying for an inspection. To which I reply "ha, ha, ha." That reservoir was bone dry when I got my car, and mine was a CPO car that supposedly had just undergone a detailed inspection. And one of my air filters literally had a fist full of hay in it. And my main coolant system was more than a quart low. That "I don't really car about your car" mentality is one of many reasons I DIY everything.

Last edited by Opie55; 11-14-2022 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #32
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwmack View Post
Actually just used the Vin to find out the production was 9/2012. Might be too late ������. Hopefully the previous owner took advantage of the repairs offered by bmw
Build date is irrelevant. It's the in service date. Your car may have sat unsold for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #33
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Personally, if your regular place that knows you and works on the X5 is a BMW shop and has the BMW scan tools, which they must, I'd have it inspected there. A dealer is not going to give you any special "take" on the car. Their techs are not special people. They just charge more to be not special at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #34
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
And if you want, we can tell you if you have the old or new vent lines before you go for the inspection so they don't BS you. On top of the engine you have the big decorative cover. It just pops off, but pop it carefully so you don't break off any of the 10 year old heat-baked posts. Just pull it up at the front an inch or two off the two posts there, then slide your hand under the middle of each side for those two, and then at the sides near the back for the last two. Then just post up a picture of the front half of the exposed engine. The lines sit right on top just behind the alternator and run from side to side on a narrow metal "tray." We can tell by looking if they are the old or new style.
And while you have the engine cover off, unscrew the black cap on the little coolant reservoir that is dead center at the front. Look to see if the coolant is up to the obvious "full" line. Your car has two separate cooling systems. That secondary system cools the two engine computers and the two "charge air coolers" for the turbochargers - those two aluminum "boxes" on either side of the coolant reservoir. That coolant system often gets ignored because it has no level sensor or warning. And you are wondering why I would tell you to do that when you are paying for an inspection. To which I reply "ha, ha, ha." That reservoir was bone dry when I got my car, and mine was a CPO car that supposedly had just undergone a detailed inspection. And one of my air filters literally had a fist full of hay in it. And my main coolant system was more than a quart low. That "I [...]
Really good information. As soon as I get the car I will definitely take pics of the areas you suggested and post them. I would like to take it to bmw only because they will be able to pull service records and they are a certified shop for the warranty with the dealer I am purchasing the car from. My individual shop isn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #35
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Old line with arrow:

New lines:

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #36
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
Old line with arrow:

New lines:

OH wow. You can see a difference in the hosing. The first looks like cheap plastic, the second looks like sturdy rubber. I will take a look at this as soon as I get the car. You guys have been amazingly helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #37
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Build date is irrelevant. It's the in service date. Your car may have sat unsold for a while.
That is true.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #38
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
And while you have the engine cover off, unscrew the black cap on the little coolant reservoir that is dead center at the front. Look to see if the coolant is up to the obvious "full" line. Your car has two separate cooling systems. That secondary system cools the two engine computers and the two "charge air coolers" for the turbochargers - those two aluminum "boxes" on either side of the coolant reservoir. That coolant system often gets ignored because it has no level sensor or warning. And you are wondering why I would tell you to do that when you are paying for an inspection. To which I reply "ha, ha, ha." That reservoir was bone dry when I got my car, and mine was a CPO car that supposedly had just undergone a detailed inspection. And one of my air filters literally had a fist full of hay in it. And my main coolant system was more than a quart low. That "I [...]
I took a screenshot of the engine bay. Is this the cap for the coolant reservoir that I circled in red? Just trying to get the landscape of the engine in my head. Used to seeing the straight 6 in my x5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #39
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
Also...

Ive found videos that say cold air intake systems help keep the engine cool and improves long term durability. Is this true? I found the video below, he's working on a 550 but same N63 engine. Thoughts? Does this really help with engine longevity?

https://youtu.be/1RMhH8TN3Ws
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #40
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

No, if you want to prolong engine life and reduce maintenance, stay out of the turbo chargers except when needed.

The main engine cooling filling cap is the cap in the lower right hand corner.
And here is how you tell if it's full or not:

And I think removing the top engine cover and leaving it off helps keep the rubber hoses cooler and prolongs their life. Seems to me the cover just traps hot air.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 11-14-2022 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 08:35 PM   #41
Beemerdawg71
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i-convertible-2016

Garage List
2016 640i convertible power steering adjustment

Hey guys
I'm new here and new to BMW cars.
Loving my used 640i but admit a little intimidated with the simplest problems that can happen with these cars called the ultimate driving machine. Only thing wrong with the car that I know of is the steering wheel adjustment. Is it possible that a fuse is the problem or something worse. I can't get to the fuse that I suspect because it is behind the glove box. The small access door inside the box is to small for me to reach the fuse. Can the glove box be removed easily to get the the fuses? Ive tried all the owners manual approaches.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #42
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Beemerdawg71,

You should start of new thread with "2016 640i convertible power steering adjustment" as your title. More people will see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:24 AM   #43
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwmack View Post
I took a screenshot of the engine bay. Is this the cap for the coolant reservoir that I circled in red? Just trying to get the landscape of the engine in my head. Used to seeing the straight 6 in my x5.
Yes, that is the cap for the secondary coolant system I was talking about. The main coolant system Walt is talking about is the cap near the firewall next to the engine on the driver's side.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:36 AM   #44
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

EDIT: I was confused when I typed the below. I thought you posted the first engine bay pic and it was your car. But it may still apply once you check yours.

So you have the old style lines. So now without moving them look at the tray they sit on and see if there is any oil. If there is, then they are a cracked. They get very brittle and just looking at them funny will break them. One day mine were fine and the next time I looked one was broken in half. If yours are not cracked yet, BMW will not replace them even if you are still within 10 years. You could proactively do it if you want. The car will usually still run fine if one breaks. I could have had mine done under the warranty but did it myself because that's how much I hate people touching my car. The lines are actually pretty complex and include the PCV valves. The lines cost like $325 and it was a couple hours to swap them out. I'm guessing a dealer at inflated parts prices and labor would charge you $1,000.

Last edited by Opie55; 11-15-2022 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0