BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-06-2022, 10:50 PM   #133
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Here is another question for you.. Do you write your own music? Do you write lyrics or music first? Or both? I can't sing for crap, but have a few ideas that I think are good. How do you put it all together?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 11:36 PM   #134
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I know what you mean. If it doesn't sound good and you don't like it, what's the point? There would be no need to continue, right?
Yep, that's why I'm thinking about replacing the cheapy squire strat with something a bit better (nothing to crazy) and an Orange Crush or similar. The fiance typically doesn't care what I spend my money on......but I've been on a tear the the last 3 months.

Bought a new car and have $6k+ in parts about to go on in a couple of weeks. Plus another couple thousand once OEM Audio+ releases the rest of the audio upgrade.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8812.00
      12-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #135
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
I really like the warmth of the tubes. I really do. There is absolutely nothing better than the old school sound they bring. I played my electric for about 2 hours this afternoon, and just love when the amp heats up. Nothing can compare. At least for what I have used, which is one amp in my life....... When I bought the Rivera, that was the reason, to play both what sounded good with my acoustics, and have a crossover that would sound great with a future electric. It's just so warm. That said, what else is out there that may bring more? I like the idea of a little crunch without rattling the windows. Comparing to audio equipment, it's that full sound that I am looking for, and WITH an ability to sound good at lower volumes. Make sense?
I've never played through a Rivera but know they are good amps. Does it have a preamp and power amp volume controls? Most Fenders do not. Few exceptions - one being the mid 90's Twin that I have.

A Vox AC15 or AC30 might be something you'd like. Some people really dislike the chime of a Vox but it can be lessened. I like it, especially playing a Rickenbacker thru it.

The AC15 is a loud amp even tho rated at 15watts. If you want more volume get the AC30 or an AC15C2 (2 x 12" speakers).
      12-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #136
SRod321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 M3  [8.50]
Quote:
Here is another question for you.. Do you write your own music? Do you write lyrics or music first? Or both? I can't sing for crap, but have a few ideas that I think are good. How do you put it all together?
Many moons ago, when I had my band, I wrote my own lyrics but my cousin(lead guitarist) would create the music first. I never felt like I could write lyrics without music to set the tone or mood of the song.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8812.00
      12-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #137
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
I would almost always write the music and my brother would handle the lyrics. Most of the time he would come up with lyrics to match the music. Although at times I would peruse his notebook of lyrics and common up with music that I felt matched them.
      12-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #138
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

So, anyone wish to post their originals up here?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 05:54 PM   #139
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

What the hell, I'll post one. This is from the mid 80's.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13947922
      12-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #140
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post

Wow, you guys were serious stuff! I think I like Home to California the most, esp the intro.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #141
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Wow, you guys were serious stuff! I think I like Home to California the most, esp the intro.
Thanks, glad you were able to enjoy it. In general I don't worry about if people like our stuff or not as music is very personal and I like it, so that's all that really matters to me

Don't know how old you are, but there used to be a concert series called Millerfest that was put on by Miller Beer. We were actually going to be the opening act for it one year (1985 or 86) at ASU, but it got cancelled for some reason (don't recall what that was anymore).

Half of us were college students getting really close to graduation, so the band just kind of fell apart after that. From then on it was just my brother and I doing things for fun in my very rudimentary 4-track cassette basement studio.

Home to California was one that we re-recorded in my basement (I'm playing everything other than the lead vocals on this one) and that I've added things to since transferring it into digital.

Last edited by bucketfoot; 12-08-2022 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 06:55 PM   #142
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I've never played through a Rivera but know they are good amps. Does it have a preamp and power amp volume controls? Most Fenders do not. Few exceptions - one being the mid 90's Twin that I have.

A Vox AC15 or AC30 might be something you'd like. Some people really dislike the chime of a Vox but it can be lessened. I like it, especially playing a Rickenbacker thru it.

The AC15 is a loud amp even tho rated at 15watts. If you want more volume get the AC30 or an AC15C2 (2 x 12" speakers).
Well, good question. I don't think it has separate volume for amp/pre-amp, but not sure. If it does, I haven't found that dial...
Please educate me! What would that do for me?

Thanks for the thoughts on the Vox!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #143
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRod321 View Post
Many moons ago, when I had my band, I wrote my own lyrics but my cousin(lead guitarist) would create the music first. I never felt like I could write lyrics without music to set the tone or mood of the song.
Quote:
I would almost always write the music and my brother would handle the lyrics. Most of the time he would come up with lyrics to match the music. Although at times I would peruse his notebook of lyrics and common up with music that I felt matched them.
Sounds like you guys are on the same page about music first. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #144
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:

That's very cool man! Will give them all a good listen when I have more time. Just to get something recorded is a task in itself!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #145
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's very cool man! Will give them all a good listen when I have more time. Just to get something recorded is a task in itself!
We were poor college kids, so keep in mind that everything was one take. Most of the time with the drums, bass and rhythm guitars all recorded together in one live session. We were most definitely not looking for perfection. We just thought it was massively cool to be doing it!

Although there weren't a lot of huge issues, that's one thing I've been able to address in the digital domain. A little cut here and paste in something from a different part of the song there
      12-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #146
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
We were poor college kids, so keep in mind that everything was one take. Most of the time with the drums, bass and rhythm guitars all recorded together in one live session. We were most definitely not looking for perfection. We just thought it was massively cool to be doing it!

Although there weren't a lot of huge issues, that's one thing I've been able to address in the digital domain. A little cut here and paste in something from a different part of the song there
Just that you did it is pretty dang cool. And FWIW, in 85-86 I was a senior in high school in Az, and vaguely remembered Miller Fest when you mentioned it. A lot of water under that bridge!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #147
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just that you did it is pretty dang cool. And FWIW, in 85-86 I was a senior in high school in Az, and vaguely remembered Miller Fest when you mentioned it. A lot of water under that bridge!
Well then I guess you might remember Dave Pratt from KUPD.

My brother was Mr. Baseball on his show and we wrote and recorded (albeit a crappy one) a song (Working with Dave) on his third album.
      12-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #148
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well then I guess you might remember Dave Pratt from KUPD.

My brother was Mr. Baseball on his show and we wrote and recorded (albeit a crappy one) a song (Working with Dave) on his third album.
HA! No way! Heck ya I remember Dave. I had my red card. Saw him do a show out at Firebird Lake, too. Squirt me baby!

Here ya go!
Appreciate 2
bucketfoot1063.50
Esteban43688.00
      12-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #149
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I still chat with Dave from time to time on Facebook. He is really a cool and down to earth guy.

Actually our song Kiss Me You Fool was recorded with a couple of the guys from Catch 22 who were the original Sex Machine band (from the first two albums).
      12-08-2022, 08:39 PM   #150
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I still chat with Dave from time to time on Facebook. He is really a cool and down to earth guy.

Actually our song Kiss Me You Fool was recorded with a couple of the guys from Catch 22 who were the original Sex Machine band (from the first two albums).
I have heard that about him. Have an old friend whose kids were in Gilbert Little League, and she said he did a lot to help them. The guy made a living doing some pretty crazy stuff, but has a big heart, and paid it forward when he could.

I did not know that about the band guys, very cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #151
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, glad you were able to enjoy it. In general I don't worry about if people like our stuff or not as music is very personal and I like it, so that's all that really matters to me

Don't know how old you are, but there used to be a concert series called Millerfest that was put on by Miller Beer. We were actually going to be the opening act for it one year (1985 or 86) at ASU, but it got cancelled for some reason (don't recall what that was anymore).

Half of us were college students getting really close to graduation, so the band just kind of fell apart after that. From then on it was just my brother and I doing things for fun in my very rudimentary 4-track cassette basement studio.

Home to California was one that we re-recorded in my basement (I'm playing everything other than the lead vocals on this one) and that I've added things to since transferring it into digital.
For sure it's personal but you guys all sounded like pros! I'm impressed esp since you told me it was done in the 80s! I also vaguely remember Millerfest....man, you guys were good to be called to do that. The most I did was our dorm floor head noticed I played the guitar and there was a concert later on for our residence and we were practising More Than Words for that but that unfortunately got cancelled too, so I feel your pain lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #152
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Well, good question. I don't think it has separate volume for amp/pre-amp, but not sure. If it does, I haven't found that dial...
Please educate me! What would that do for me?

Thanks for the thoughts on the Vox!
Sometimes the pots are just called Master volume and Channel 1 or something else.

This discussion explains it better than I can.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...rtion.1397080/

I've attached a page out of the AC15 manual that will help. I usually turn the channel control up ( the ones labeled Normal Volume or Top Boost Volume to get distortion then adjust the Master volume to get overall volume where I want it. (I'm not really sure which one is the pre-amp or the power amp.)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AC15 manual p8.pdf (86.2 KB, 95 views)
      12-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #153
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

gjm120 Thanks for the pdf. I would most definitely say no, the Rivera does not have that on my model. It does have 2 channels. As I understand it, channel 1 works best for the Taylor ES pickup system, or a mic. Channel 2 is for an unbalanced input. I have zero audio engineering skills, so have no clue what that means. I've only had it for a few months, and what time I get with it I just plug in and play. Here is a pic of the Rivera knobs.

Thanks for posting the gear page. Looks like a great forum, and it is now on my favorites bar!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gjm1202183.00
      12-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #154
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Bass guitar advice please

Any bass players out there?

My 16 year old granddaughter wants to start playing electric bass. She already plays guitar.

I'm taking her shopping at the Guitar Center next week.

Any recommendations for brand, model, size? I have no idea if she will stick with it. If she does, she can get a better one in a year.

or,

Do I find a good used bass?

I've been playing guitar for 50+ years but I know nothing about bass.

I'll spend time on The Google today, but any help here is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0