BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
Corunn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i xDrive Coupe

Changing xDrive suspension

When changing front EDC struts on an xDrive, are the electronic parts attached to the strut able to be transferred to a replacement strut or is it only one assembly that cannot be disassembled? Also, when changing struts with EDC, is there any calibration that needs to be performed with a scan tool if a new strut assembly with new electronics is used? I'm also curious what the differences are between an AWD 4 door front struts with EDC and an AWD 2 door front struts with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corunn View Post
When changing front EDC struts on an xDrive, are the electronic parts attached to the strut able to be transferred to a replacement strut or is it only one assembly that cannot be disassembled? Also, when changing struts with EDC, is there any calibration that needs to be performed with a scan tool if a new strut assembly with new electronics is used? I'm also curious what the differences are between an AWD 4 door front struts with EDC and an AWD 2 door front struts with EDC.
If I look up the part in the BMW parts catalog, the electronics are part of the strut and not shown as a separate part. Whether they can be physically removed anyway I do not know because I have never looked close enough. As for differences, if I look up the part for my F12 convertible it shows it is the same part as the F06 Gran Coupe, but NOT for the F13 coupe. I have no idea what that difference might be. Kind of surprising.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

A quick review of the instructions says nothing about programming.

BTW, this question felt familiar, and I just realized it was you who asked it back in July. So it looks like you can transfer from a convertible, but not a coupe. I doubt anyone here will know why that is.

Last edited by Opie55; 11-20-2022 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0