BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-10-2022, 04:50 AM   #23
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
sorry to hear this, this is normal for S63,
it is from BMW engine oil 0w30 or 5w30, this what you used correct?

use 5w40 or better 5w50.
Is the oil more important than the intervals? Is everyone changing the oil frequently?

Curious about this myself!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:04 AM   #24
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Is the oil more important than the intervals? Is everyone changing the oil frequently?

change the oil every 3k miles / 5k KM
      08-10-2022, 05:19 AM   #25
Elimentsdanny
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 M6 GC LCI

Quote:
sorry to hear this, this is normal for S63,
it is from BMW engine oil 0w30 or 5w30, this what you used correct?

use 5w40 or better 5w50.
I have no idea what oil they used i only know they serviced it and nothing untoward got reported to me ! and they still haven't replied to my emails its not good customer service really.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:57 AM   #26
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elimentsdanny View Post
I have no idea what oil they used i only know they serviced it and nothing untoward got reported to me ! and they still haven't replied to my emails its not good customer service really.
if at dealer then i think its 0w30
      08-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #27
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
I have emailed them twice for there opinion, all i have received is acknowledgement that they have received my email. i think i am going to get a solicitor involved i don't feel this car should have done this. i would like a explanation to why its spun one bearing and what i could have done to prevent it. i really feel that BMW have not made the engine robust enough. i feel the bearings are not good enough for the job.
Send the MD an email at

Chris.Brownridge@bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:00 AM   #28
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
if at dealer then i think its 0w30

What would you recommend For the UK climate ??
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:02 AM   #29
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Send the MD an email at

Wow thank you i will send it over to him and see if i get a response from him i will let you know
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #30
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

change the oil every 3k miles / 5k KM
Just about same, 2500 for me
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #31
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
In the discussion on when to change oil, there is a general consensus that changing it sooner rather than later does not hurt. One thing to keep in mind is how the car is used. Many short trips, where the engine does not get up to operating temperature for a long time has a very negative effect on the oil service life. Long trips will flash of any moister from the oil and have a lower impact on oil life. My commute (before I retired) was a fifty mile each way of highway driving. When the valve cover gaskets were changed at 240K miles (non-turbo), the engine was still spotless internally.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:26 AM   #32
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
What would you recommend For the UK climate ??
i know some people using 5w50 there but you can go 5w40 still better than 0w30
      08-11-2022, 02:12 AM   #33
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Send the MD an email at

Fantastic i received a reply from his secretary this morning only to say chis has passed over to the correct team and you will receive a reply by the end of tomorrow .... Thank you for your help :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:16 AM   #34
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
i know some people using 5w50 there but you can go 5w40 still better than 0w30
Why don't BMW study the oil and recommend or put in the more suited to the engine ?????
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:45 AM   #35
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
Why don't BMW study the oil and recommend or put in the more suited to the engine ?????
i think for emission and fuel consumption, you can ask them
      08-11-2022, 02:50 AM   #36
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
i think for emission and fuel consumption, you can ask them

Good point i think i will ask them once i get my answer to the first question :-) i will share what they say
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #37
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
In the discussion on when to change oil, there is a general consensus that changing it sooner rather than later does not hurt. One thing to keep in mind is how the car is used. Many short trips, where the engine does not get up to operating temperature for a long time has a very negative effect on the oil service life. Long trips will flash of any moister from the oil and have a lower impact on oil life. My commute (before I retired) was a fifty mile each way of highway driving. When the valve cover gaskets were changed at 240K miles (non-turbo), the engine was still spotless internally.
It is frustrating to have always the finger pointed at BMW and not at the people who own and drive these cars as being the primary culprit.

High quality oil, changed regularly, with a 100% adherence to load only at proper operating temperatures and no shitty no-name tunes can guarantee a long, trouble free experience with the S63. The problem is these days these cars exist in extraordinary abundance, many which were leased in their early days (and likely abused) then make it into the secondary market with a truly unknown history and 10 years later the motor pops.

I've run a DME tune on my M6 for almost 30,000 miles with plenty of spirited highway jaunts and my oil analysis comes out spotless every time. This car never sees above 4k rpm until oil is at full operating temp. It's frustrating, given the car takes a while to get oil up to temp in cooler temps, but the proof of longevity is in the pudding.
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 2
Kick 6285.00
JBF650115.50
      09-21-2022, 12:20 PM   #38
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post
It is frustrating to have always the finger pointed at BMW and not at the people who own and drive these cars as being the primary culprit.

High quality oil, changed regularly, with a 100% adherence to load only at proper operating temperatures and no shitty no-name tunes can guarantee a long, trouble free experience with the S63. The problem is these days these cars exist in extraordinary abundance, many which were leased in their early days (and likely abused) then make it into the secondary market with a truly unknown history and 10 years later the motor pops.

I've run a DME tune on my M6 for almost 30,000 miles with plenty of spirited highway jaunts and my oil analysis comes out spotless every time. This car never sees above 4k rpm until oil is at full operating temp. It's frustrating, given the car takes a while to get oil up to temp in cooler temps, but the proof of longevity is in the pudding.

I have always waited for the cars oil to be normal too ... but don't you think that BMW should have been doing oil analysis as standard as the car had always been serived by them !!! or dont you think they should ??? i think they could have done more to spot or notify the ware before it failed !!! i do ??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 02:22 AM   #39
Elimentsdanny
Rep

Quote:
I have always waited for the cars oil to be normal too ... but don't you think that BMW should have been doing oil analysis as standard as the car had always been serived by them !!! or dont you think they should ??? i think they could have done more to spot or notify the ware before it failed !!! i do ??
also NOTE that this is very common on all the M cars but after reading many forums it appears the Merc AMG model's don't really suffer from this well no where near as common as the M cars do and they produce more power !!! you have to ask yourself why is that ???
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:14 AM   #40
mikerx5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post

For clarity, are using An oil other than the standard? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #41
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Elimentsdanny that's because they're better engine builders than BMW M
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 06:15 AM   #42
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:

Finally…. Some wise and sage words in this painful thread ….. not only do I agree that more often than not these engine failures are due to either poor maintenance, poor service history and as you say ‘no name tunes’ etc etc I’ve one more to add to this list… people putting in cheap low grade and poor fuel ….
Our V8’s in hot v are known for being finicky and don’t take kindly to abuse, if you treat a throughbred poorly then what do you expect…..
sure you can have bad luck and perhaps in this blokes case it is and for that our sympathies to him. However moaning on to BMW about this now that the car is years out of warranty and after multiple owners is a little churlish.
If BMW helps out be grateful, they don’t have to , if they don’t well your choices are clear .
I hope it works out for this guy but please stop banging on ‘this is all BMWs fault’ …. I you did your homework you knew the risks this was not a brand new car … caveat emtor
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 09:58 PM   #43
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
For clarity, are using An oil other than the standard? Thanks
I proudly use LiquiMoly Special Tec LL 5W30.

I also have regular Blackstone Labs analysis done on my car.

Small details, big dividends.
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00
      12-13-2022, 11:11 PM   #44
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I proudly use LiquiMoly Special Tec LL 5W30.

I also have regular Blackstone Labs analysis done on my car.

Small details, big dividends.

I figured 0w40 would be the best alternative over 0w30?? Less shearing at high Temps and better cold start protection..
Appreciate 0