BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘03 530iA Sport

Wondering if a LCI F06 640i would be the right car for me... Currently DD 2003 530i

I currently daily drive a pretty special to me, 2003 BMW 530i (bluewater exterior with an "individual" oyster white interior on OEM M-parallel wheels). I have enjoyed the E39 platform with the I6 for almost 10 years and am thinking that it's almost time to move on. It was the first car I purchased for myself and the car that I learned to wrench on so I have really fond feelings of it. I'm certainly biased when it comes to giving the E39 all of the accolades I think it deserves, but I realize that the platform is getting outdated and it's coming to the point where the next expensive overhaul will be looming soon (brakes, wheel bearings, total suspension rebuild). There's a reason that there are no well maintained 530i E39s anymore; it's very difficult to justify the cost of a $5k bill on a car that's now worth $3k. Generally speaking only the more collectable 540i M sport and M5's will be some what financially worthwhile making it past 20 years old.

But I digress. I love the balance of the E39 but there's one major thing that always really bothered me; Road/wind noise. I'm wondering if the F06 is a much quieter car? After a stressful day at work I just want to ride back in silence while enjoying my music. I mean the more like it's like a bank vault the better. Any options I should be looking at (do double paned windows exist?!) to help with noise? I realize that it's not a Rolls Royce but I just want to get a sense of how quiet these GT cars are in the inside.

Ideally I'm also looking for a 640i with the Sport package, rear wheel steering, air suspension, soft close doors, , electric sunblinds, HUD, comfort sport seats and the upgraded sound system. A white interior like my current car would be a plus (it's hot in Houston, TX). Are all these options even popular among 640i owners in one car? I'm wondering it there are people out there that think like me and prefer a highly optioned out I6 instead of a M6 for the ultimate DD.

If anyone moved from the E39 to the F06 6 series family of cars, let me know what you thought! Thanks.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 10-15-2021 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:41 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariane31 View Post
I currently daily drive have a pretty special to me, 2003 BMW 530i (bluewater exterior with an "individual" oyster white interior on OEM M-parallel wheels). I have enjoyed the E39 platform with the I6 for almost 10 years and am thinking that it's almost time to move on. It was the first car I purchased for myself and the car that I learned to wrench on so I have really fond feelings of it. I'm certainly biased when it comes to giving the E39 all of the accolades I think it deserves, but I realize that the platform is getting outdated and it's coming to the point where the next expensive overhaul will be looming soon (brakes, wheel bearings, total suspension rebuild). There's a reason that there are no well maintained 530i E39s anymore; it's very difficult to justify the cost of a $5k bill on a car that's now worth $3k. Generally speaking only the more collectable 540i M sport and M5's will be some what financially worthwhile making it past 20 years old.

But I digress. I love the balance of the E39 but there's one major thing that always really bothered me; Road/wind noise. I'm wondering if the F06 is a much quieter car? After a stressful day at work I just want to ride back in silence while enjoying my music. I mean the more like it's like a bank vault the better. Any options I should be looking at (do double paned windows exist?!) to help with noise? I realize that it's not a Rolls Royce but I just want to get a sense of how quiet these GT cars are in the inside.

Ideally I'm also looking for a 640i with the Sport package, rear wheel steering, air suspension, soft close doors, , electric sunblinds, HUD, comfort sport seats and the upgraded sound system. A white interior like my current car would be a plus (it's hot in Houston, TX). Are all these options even popular among 640i owners in one car? I'm wondering it there are people out there that think like me and prefer a highly optioned out I6 instead of a M6 for the ultimate DD.

If anyone moved from the E39 to the F06 6 series family of cars, let me know what you thought! Thanks.
You should probably test drive one at a place that will let you take it on the highway to see how the wind noise is. But they came with run flat tires, and if one you test still has them that noise will probably be worse than wind noise. So try to find one with regular tires to drive. But wind noise is not not a common complaint on this forum. As for options, as a very general matter 640s often have fewer options than 650s because they are a lower price point car. The leather on the seats is even a lower grade. But a fair number of 640s have as many options as the average 650. I don't think air suspension is an option. A fair percentage have a white interior - called ivory.
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      10-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
Esthero
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 30d & 2013 640i GC

I came from e39 528 touring to a 2013 640i gc.
I owned the e39 for almost 7 years and I love the car in terms of its looks (i made it full msport) and the NA M52 motor.

But the e39 is so underpowered and it's the never ending small problems that made me decides to moved on from the e generation and get a newer car, such as interior rattles, road/wind noise, outdated head unit (even tho I replaced the head unit with dynavin style), time bomb on the SLS, and even I was scared to open the sunroof because how easy the rails broke, etc.

I decided to pull the trigger with a 2013 640i gc msport and I can tell you that it's far more quieter than the e39, great great looking interior, and faster than my e39.
I still prefer the sound of a non turbo car, but every cars these days are turbo and it's so easy to get more power if you need to.

btw, I used to live in Houston, TX for 8 years
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys, I do agree that the E39 has a myriad of problems. I feel like I've basically addressed all of them and in doing so have torn the car completely apart! I'm glad that the 640i seems to be a pretty reliable car.

Any option for double glazed windows or something else I should look at? I'll definitely get rid of the run flats for sure. I'll put the B&O system way down on the priority list as I'll probably get a Bavsound upgrade/aftermarket solution anyways as I've done with my 530i. I want the IAS option, but I honestly haven't seen it optioned out on a 640i yet. I guess it's a rare upgrade? Seems like a lot of dealers and review sites from what I read discouraged buyers from getting it. It's just that it's a pretty big car compared to the E39...

According to interior options, was Ivory the only standard "white" option? Any Individual color schemes that seemed to be popular that I should be keeping an eye on? The E39 came in oyster and champagne. I just like any white color to be honest. Was Silverstone an option? Ideally I'd probably like white and dark blue interior (something along the lines of a BMW E38 Oyster Blue interior that was standard across some special edition cars) but that's probably a rare Individual color scheme. Opal White looks very good. I prefer black carpets. I'm a little disappointed that Ivory white includes too much white.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 10-11-2021 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:57 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

No individual color schemes were "popular" per se. You have to remember that 6 series cars are relatively low production to begin with, and the individual interiors were a big added expense. So there are not that many individual interiors on a percentage basis, although I concede I pay far more attention to F12 convertibles, so perhaps they are somewhat more common in the GC. My favorite individual leather color is champagne - a creamy color. Opal is a bit too white for me. Yes, Ivory is the only standard white. It's what I have, and I agree about preferring black carpet. I will say one thing I've noticed about individual interiors and exterior paint - again this is based mostly on the F12 - but the majority of cars where people spent all that extra money they did not bother to click many other option boxes. You'd would think such a person would click every box, but no. Many are not even MSport, and few have the B&O, etc. I also mostly look at 650s, so I'm not sure what any available option differences may have been on the 640, except my general observation above that they generally have fewer options. Assuming everything you are looking for was available on a 640, if you want certain rare options and an individual interior I think you will be looking for a very long time. Even if it was "available", a singe example may not actually exist.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

And just to add about IAS, I think your assumption that it is a rare option is probably correct. Since I have xDrive it was not something I paid much attention to, but I have glanced at pretty much every post on here for three and a half years and have seen it mentioned only once or twice. It's not a common discussion topic. That alone suggests it's rare. In 2015 it was a $1,750 option. I have always been a bit surprised how many options are rare in a $100,000 car. I would have thought well-heeled buyers would click more boxes and buy more toys. At least by 2015 Adaptive Cruise Control was still super-rare. As was night vison and ARS (active sway bars). IAS is probably equally rare.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Individual cars do surprise me as well when owners don’t tick some popular packages such as the M Sport. I’ve noticed that trend too. I realize that I’ll probably end up making some compromises in terms of getting a fully loaded car but that’s ok. I started off with a plain Sport E39 and put in Individual components and retrofitted in options as time went by. It’s so easy with BMW enthusiasts on a popular platform that DIYs exist for everything. Definitely willing to wait. My current car still has some years left in her if need be.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

Is it just me that prefers the non M-sport bumpers then, I purposely sought out a car without the package.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS86 View Post
Is it just me that prefers the non M-sport bumpers then, I purposely sought out a car without the package.
No..you are not the only one that happens to like the non M-sport bumpers.

And I would suggest to the OP to google for an BMW f06 pricing and ordering guide (add in the model year you prefer). This will give you great info as to options/colors/option packages etc.

I would also suggest test driving a 640ix...especially if you have to sacrifice finding one with IAS. The AWD models have hydraulic assist...thus the driving/steering dynamic is very similar to the old BMW "feel" that the E chassis models had. The RWD models without IAS have the new electronic steering (light/feather weight steering)...that many old school BMW owners don't care for.

Also know that some of the original BMW Connected services will not work if you don't go with the much later model years. The early ones were 2G (which is now defunct)...and the mid years 2014-mid 2016) are 3G (which will be defunct in early 2022).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-14-2021 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

I haven't driven an X-Drive version of our cars, but let me give you a brief review of my fully loaded, RWD 640i M-Sport.

1.) Active Cruise Control w/Stop and Go: Before purchasing my car, I really wanted this option due to the "cool" factor of the car partially driving itself. However, after owning my car for just over a year now, I don't really care for the option. I feel that the distance settings in auto cruise are too sensitive, and as soon as a car jumps in my lane, the first thing the car does is hit the brakes, which I'm sure adds to wear and tear on brake pads. Or if the distance is set too far, it causes cars behind me to pass in front of me to fill the gap, and I am generally a "higher speed" driver.

However, I feel it is more useful in stop and go/bumper to bumper traffic, where it does shine a bit better. But in regular cruise driving with moderate traffic levels, it's not as smooth as it could be, and to be honest, it's an option I could live without. In concurrence of what was said prior, it was a somewhat rare option on the 640's, so don't trouble yourself trying to find one with this option.

2.) Steering: Surprisingly, the electric steering on the 6's is quite well done for what it is, and is much better in comparison to other electric steering racks in other BMW models and other brands. It reminds me of a slightly artificial version (in a positive way) of the hydraulic steering in my e92 328i M-sport RWD coupe, which had the best steering of any car I had owned. Not as stiff, but I think it fits the car's "personality" & character quite well. And the steering felt even better when I switched from run flat to standard Michelin all- season tires. I am sure the hydraulic steering in the X-drive models feels more classic BMW, but I think you wouldn't have an issue with the electric rack in the RWD 6.

One perk with the electric steering rack is, you have the option of getting the Parking Assistant, in which the car can find a parking spot and functionally parallel park itself. It is a gimmicky option, and I don't use it often, but every now and then does become helpful when parallel parking is difficult to find downtown. Also, it's a cool factor to show off to passengers. You cannot get get this option with the x-drive models.

3.) Active Sway Bars (ARS): I have this option as well. I've test driven a 640i without it, and one with it (my current one), and to be honest, I feel the ARS adds unnecessary weight to the vehicle and gives an artificial feeling when cornering. While it does keep the car stable at high-speed during cornering, it does it in a way that doesn't feel....completely "natural". I would prefer the old-school standard sway bars, as the cornering feels more classic BMW. It's not a bad option, as it does give the car a more luxurious feel through what I call "road softening", and keeps this heavy beast in check, but I noticed my car with ARS has more "wallow" while driving in a straight line than the other 640i I tested without it. It also feels a tad bit heavier. I've heard the last generation of ARS (such as the one provided on the E60-era generation), was more sport oriented, whereas the one on the 6 is more luxury/soft oriented.

Hope you find this helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
I haven't driven an X-Drive version of our cars, but let me give you a brief review of my fully loaded, RWD 640i M-Sport.

1.) Active Cruise Control w/Stop and Go: Before purchasing my car, I really wanted this option due to the "cool" factor of the car partially driving itself. However, after owning my car for just over a year now, I don't really care for the option. I feel that the distance settings in auto cruise are too sensitive, and as soon as a car jumps in my lane, the first thing the car does is hit the brakes, which I'm sure adds to wear and tear on brake pads. Or if the distance is set too far, it causes cars behind me to pass in front of me to fill the gap, and I am generally a "higher speed" driver.

However, I feel it is more useful in stop and go/bumper to bumper traffic, where it does shine a bit better. But in regular cruise driving with moderate traffic levels, it's not as smooth as it could be, and to be honest, it's an option I could live without. In concurrence of what was said prior, it was a somewhat rare option on the 640's, so don't trouble yourself trying to find one with this option.

2.) Steering: Surprisingly, the electric steering on the 6's is quite well done for what it is, and is much better in comparison to other electric steering racks in other BMW models and other brands. It reminds me of a slightly artificial version (in a positive way) of the hydraulic steering in my e92 328i M-sport RWD coupe, which had the best steering of any car I had owned. Not as stiff, but I think it fits the car's "personality" & character quite well. And the steering felt even better when I switched from run flat to standard Michelin all- season tires. I am sure the hydraulic steering in the X-drive models feels more classic BMW, but I think you wouldn't have an issue with the electric rack in the RWD 6.

One perk with the electric steering rack is, you have the option of getting the Parking Assistant, in which the car can find a parking spot and functionally parallel park itself. It is a gimmicky option, and I don't use it often, but every now and then does become helpful when parallel parking is difficult to find downtown. Also, it's a cool factor to show off to passengers. You cannot get get this option with the x-drive models.

3.) Active Sway Bars (ARS): I have this option as well. I've test driven a 640i without it, and one with it (my current one), and to be honest, I feel the ARS adds unnecessary weight to the vehicle and gives an artificial feeling when cornering. While it does keep the car stable at high-speed during cornering, it does it in a way that doesn't feel....completely "natural". I would prefer the old-school standard sway bars, as the cornering feels more classic BMW. It's not a bad option, as it does give the car a more luxurious feel through what I call "road softening", and keeps this heavy beast in check, but I noticed my car with ARS has more "wallow" while driving in a straight line than the other 640i I tested without it. It also feels a tad bit heavier. I've heard the last generation of ARS (such as the one provided on the E60-era generation), was more sport oriented, whereas the one on the 6 is more luxury/soft oriented.

Hope you find this helpful.
Interesting about ARS. Maybe someday I can drive a car without it and see what difference I can tell. Mine is the only 6 I have ever driven so I have no basis for comparison.

As for active cruise, it's the one option I don't have. I've always sensed I would not like it for the reasons you state but "wanted" it only to say I had all the options, which is not a good reason. I have a habit of using my left thumb as a poor substitute by using the steering wheel toggle to speed up or slow down in highway traffic instead of braking to turn cruise off.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #12
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

There are definitely highly optioned 640i out there, but generally you would get more options on a 650/m6.
As for the i6 in 640i feeling underpowered, it's up to you to judge from a test drive. I personally find 640 to be more than adequate for my needs, but i do feel a difference in power if i have 2-3 people with me in the car.
Biggest deterrent from a 650i for me was a v8 reliability.
6 series is such a great car though! One of the most favorite cars I've owned!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #13
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good thoughts throughout. The E39 is really the only benchmark of a car that I can compare against. It is my first and only car (besides the Ford Tempo hand-me-down that my parents gave me for school transport; but we don't talk about those automotive days in my history.) I always hear reviews that auto cruise control with stop and go is a must-have in traffic, but I really am an old school kind of guy coming from a early 2000s BMW. I'm sure I will learn to enjoy modern cars and all they have to offer. Thank you for explaining the package options. I was looking forward to using the modern "toys" that have come out in recent years but perhaps I'll go without ARS and the Active Cruise control.

I live in Houston, so I don't see the benefit of xDrive. IMHO for me, it adds weight, complexity, and the risk of having to replace all tires at once if I ruin a tire. I used to live in Seattle and even drove to Jackson Hole, WY for a ski trip all in my RWD E39 so I am a pretty experienced winter driver which negates the primary reason for getting xDrive. And yes, although I do prefer a sporty car with good steering feel, I know that electronic everything is the future and am willing to embrace it. Maybe I won't enjoy the steering feel at first but I'm sure I can get used to it. Overall the F06 is a much better car than the E39 anyways.

I'll look for a 640i as I'm most comfortable doing maintenance on BMW I6s, with the M-package. Preferably a Silver/Blue/Moonstone color. Ivory White/Black bicolor interior (Individual Platinum/Opal White/Armora Brown would be a plus of course). I'm a sucker for nice and special interiors for sure. I think I want the Executive, Cold Climate, and Driving Assist Packages (no need for the Driving assist plus). Multicontour seats are mandatory (I have Oyster Leather E38 Multicontour Sports in my current car). I'd like to option in the Power Sunshades as I found that option useful in my E39 as well. Looks like the M-Sport Edition ZMS includes a lot of the above.

IAS, Active Front seats, Driving Assist Plus, Night Vision, B&O sound would just be nice bonuses. Still a little concerned about the size of the car. I've just got so used to my "little" E39. I'm also kind of bummed they didn't offer double glazed glass. This was a rare option on the E39 even in Europe, but nonetheless was there.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 10-15-2021 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:33 PM   #14
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Unfortunately after 250K miles of enjoyment in my E39 530I 5sp manual with sport suspension, it was killed by a teenage driver T boning me. Although my other car is a F06 M6 Gran Coupe with the competition package, I spent most of my time in the E39 and use the M6 for road trips where I can stretch its legs . She will be missed dearly..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #15
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

As a E39 530i owner and whilst I have no plans to get rid of it, if I were too, I would be replacing it with a F06. They are stunning looking machines.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #16
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm definitely torn between maintaining my E39 or getting a new car. If the F06 wasn't as large as it is and the current used car economy wasn't as crazy then I would be completely sold. I've spent so much time perfecting my E39 that it's hard to sell it for cheap. It has a lot of Euro and Individual mods and things that make it a much better DD. The new and older 4 series gran coupes don't really do it for me although their size is more ideal. I like a luxurious interior in a small car. Seems like I can only pick one of the two. I definitely will test drive a F06 in the near future.

I guess the F06 cars don't offer double glazing due to frameless windows. Would look a little weird to the general public I guess although since I know how special those windows are I prefer the uniqueness of that thick black line going around the window edges.

And I found a F06 with Individual Monnstone paint with Champagne interior: https://www.per4manceautomd.com/deta...eries/76456727
Pictures are of the wrong car but the VIN WBA6B2C56ED129378 checks out. It's unfortunately a 650i with not very many options which goes in line of Individual buyers not ticking off all of the option boxes for some reason. It's a very basic car.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 10-18-2021 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #17
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

That would be a very pretty car. The ad in the link, setting aside that it is the wrong car, made me a laugh. Why would someone who wants to sell an item costing $30,000 take pictures in the rain against a crappy fence surrounded by weeds and other cars. It looks like a junkyard.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep

I also wondered that too, but lots of people are lazy. Wrong car, bad pictures of the wrong car! It's like they don't even want to sell it. I also don't understand the "no test drive" policy that some establishments have in place. If I'm putting down thousands of my hard earned cash you bet I'll have to test drive the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #19
TON-III
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 640 DA X-Drive M-Sport -12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

I would also suggest test driving a 640ix...especially if you have to sacrifice finding one with IAS. The AWD models have hydraulic assist...thus the driving/steering dynamic is very similar to the old BMW "feel" that the E chassis models had. The RWD models without IAS have the new electronic steering (light/feather weight steering)...that many old school BMW owners don't care for.
I've ridden with two 6 series car, 1'st was F13 640D M-Sport AND 2'nd is my current ride F13 640 D X-Drive M-Sport. When I was test riding the RWD model I was on the trip with my ex car (Audi A4 B7 2.0 TQ 2006 S-Line) and surprisingly the RWD one felt quite similar to my small Audi. RWD M-Sport does have firmer springs while X-Drive has those soft basic ones and I did like the drive of RWD, did not notice any mishandling of steering.

I was picking up my really nicely equipped X-Drive from an another country so even I felt a bit disappointed after trial ride I took it home. Chassi is not that firm because of the soft springs ( now swapped to Eibach ones already).
Somehow the car is not that good to ride than RWD. So if I was to buy a 6 series now it would be RWD one, definetely even I'm living in ice bears land
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #20
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
And just to add about IAS, I think your assumption that it is a rare option is probably correct. Since I have xDrive it was not something I paid much attention to, but I have glanced at pretty much every post on here for three and a half years and have seen it mentioned only once or twice. It's not a common discussion topic. That alone suggests it's rare. In 2015 it was a $1,750 option. I have always been a bit surprised how many options are rare in a $100,000 car. I would have thought well-heeled buyers would click more boxes and buy more toys. At least by 2015 Adaptive Cruise Control was still super-rare. As was night vison and ARS (active sway bars). IAS is probably equally rare.
What is IAS?
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      10-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #21
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
There are definitely highly optioned 640i out there, but generally you would get more options on a 650/m6.
As for the i6 in 640i feeling underpowered, it's up to you to judge from a test drive. I personally find 640 to be more than adequate for my needs, but i do feel a difference in power if i have 2-3 people with me in the car.
Biggest deterrent from a 650i for me was a v8 reliability.
6 series is such a great car though! One of the most favorite cars I've owned!
My 640 coupe feels plenty powerful to me.
Appreciate 1
NDAzone13.50
      10-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #22
Ssilver356
Rep
Drives: 640i

I own an E60 and bought an F06 but i will sell it.
6 Series is a wonderful car but I prefer the E60's on driving, it feels more lighter and dynamic.
Another cons is the poor interior space with the big center console, you will be disappointed on that point compared to a 5 Series.
Appreciate 0