BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #133
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I appreciate the transparency Volvo provides for people buying their EVs.

Their provided information clearly shows there is a small emissions advantage for opting for the EV, not a massive advantage and not a zero advantage.

And it also shows that just creating a new car creates a massive amount of emissions in the first place, and most of it is not related to the battery. As we speak, China is ordering hundreds of new coal mines to be opened to meet the world's growing demands for parts, including magnesium which is required for aluminum in cars.

They also provide the breakeven point where the EV is better than the ICE version of the vehicle. For this model it is 110k / 68k miles, another piece of information buyers may want to know (for example, my wife drives about 4000 miles per year...it would take her 17 years to reach the breakeven point...she would be better off buying the ICE version).

I think this kind of information is rare because it clearly shows that the best thing people can do for the climate is...to not buy new cars. And car brands don't want people to know that.

Last edited by taek; 11-11-2021 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 4
dscabra4958.50
Roch M4424.00
Germanauto9702.50
      11-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #134
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
I appreciate the transparency Volvo provides for people buying their EVs.

Their provided information clearly shows there is a small emissions advantage for opting for the EV, not a massive advantage and not a zero advantage.

And it also shows that just creating a new car creates a massive amount of emissions in the first place, and most of it is not related to the battery. As we speak, China is ordering hundreds of new coal mines to be opened to meet the world's growing demands for parts, including magnesium which is required for aluminum in cars.

They also provide the breakeven point where the EV is better than the ICE version of the vehicle. For this model it is 110k / 68k miles, another piece of information buyers may want to know (for example, my wife drives about 4000 miles per year...it would take her 17 years to reach the breakeven point...she would be better off buying the ICE version).

I think this kind of information is rare because it clearly shows that the best thing people can do for the climate is...to not buy new cars. And car brands don't want people to know that.
This is why I argue that if these politicians REALLY cared about climate change, they would attempt to transition us away from car dependence. I love cars, I love driving, but I hate sitting in stressful LA traffic just to do anything. It hurts our quality of life, physical health, mental health, and is terrible for the environment. A subway/bullet train type infrastructure is decades overdue.

But no, this state has too much red tape and financial interest in making sure it does not happen. Gotta keep all the companies with a vested interest in car dependence happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #135
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

I personally am happy for an EV future.

The more people that sell their old ICE E30s, E36s, E46s for a new EV, would make me happy as I will be able to pick up their "junkers" at a low price. May drive gas prices down too! Premium is expensive!

Wishful thinking right?
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00