BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

Just bought my first BMW

So I will be taking delivery today of what should be my first BMW. 2014 M6 Convertible with the following options:

Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Full Merino Leather
Bang and Olufsen Stereo
Competition Package
Executive Package
Driving Assistance Package
Original MSRP $137,150.00

I bought it with only 22,661 miles on it clean Carfax.

Should be here today from transport. I am excited. I don't know what to expect. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

First, congrats.
Second, "First BMW" = M6? That's awesome. Usually people start at the 3 series or something like that.
Third: "what to expect", Don't know what car you are coming from, but expect an amazing experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

My last sports/exotic as I would call it was a Porsche 911 C2S 997. But for the past 5 years I have been driving company cars as I am a General Manager of a new car dealership. This is going to be my Wife's daily driver and for us to go out on dates. Will the factory sports exhaust sound good? Is the power pretty sufficient? Should I be aware of any issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is a picture of the actual car.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
My last sports/exotic as I would call it was a Porsche 911 C2S 997. But for the past 5 years I have been driving company cars as I am a General Manager of a new car dealership. This is going to be my Wife's daily driver and for us to go out on dates. Will the factory sports exhaust sound good? Is the power pretty sufficient? Should I be aware of any issues?
The factory exhaust options are all a bit quiet but I like the tone of the sound.

There is plenty of power, don't worry about that!

As for issues they tend to be quite reliable at stock power levels. Make sure you are running PS4S or Sport Cup 2 tyres - grip will be your biggest problem
      11-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am hoping the tires are not original. But if I need to replace I will through my shop day 1 with some nice tires. I was just wondering how different the sport exhaust is over the stock exhaust. I understand that the Competition Package includes sport exhaust and a Horsepower rating of 575.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
First, congrats.
Second, "First BMW" = M6? That's awesome. Usually people start at the 3 series or something like that.
Third: "what to expect", Don't know what car you are coming from, but expect an amazing experience.
I've only had 2 BMWs, an 850CSi and my M6 haha
      11-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am hoping the tires are not original. But if I need to replace I will through my shop day 1 with some nice tires. I was just wondering how different the sport exhaust is over the stock exhaust. I understand that the Competition Package includes sport exhaust and a Horsepower rating of 575.
The exhaust isn't actually different other than the tips.

The optional exhaust is a rebranded Akrapovic, that won't be what you have unless someone bought one after manufacture
      11-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Per BMW the Competition Package which includes sport exhaust is in fact different. Yes they are easy to spot with the black chrome tips, but according to BMW they are in fact different systems.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
benacto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M6 GC

Comp exhaust on that year has 2 dimples at the mufflers instead of 3. the muffler is basically a large resonator for the Comp exhaust while the non comp has a bend inside. It's minor but it does make the Comp louder. There's a thread on here somewhere that someone posted a cross section cut of both side by side.
      11-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Congrats, she's a beauty. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #12
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The exhaust isn't actually different other than the tips.

The optional exhaust is a rebranded Akrapovic, that won't be what you have unless someone bought one after manufacture
The Akrapoviic exhaust is the M sport exhaust is the loudest of the 3 and is a separate option from BMW ,the normal M6 and the Competition M6 have resonator tubes in the exhaust , the normal are filled with baffles and the Competition tubes are empty and the tips are black
Attached Images

2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
1st congrats, second you are in my prayers because it can be addictive

I love my car but wish I had known sooner about the rod bearings. If there is anything you should consider doing above all else esp if this is going to be a daily driver and you have any plans on tuning/modding is replace the rod bearings with ACL or Kings.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I've only had 2 BMWs, an 850CSi and my M6 haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
First, congrats.
Also in the camp of an M6 being the first BMW I've owned (albeit mine a GranCoupe) -- ppasiakos you won't be disappointed, it's a fantastic platform. I came from the highline dealership world in a previous career where I was introduced to an M6 for the first time and it was a car that I could never get out of my head. Congrats and welcome!

Exhaust is quite tame, I will be looking for an M Performance Akrapovic system in the springtime. As far as things to look out for, the car is really quite solid when you change oil frequently (5k miles personally, some go as soon as 3k) and follow proper warm up procedures before putting load on the engine. Nothing that common sense wouldn't already tell you. Car has been rock solid for me

Last edited by LJohnson32; 11-20-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #15
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally got it today. Got to say. It’s pretty insane. I do want it louder though. I think it has some nice potential in the screaming V8 department.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #16
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

congrats on finding a low mileage M6! I highly recommend getting a software tune with mild burble and you'll enjoy the car and the sound of the exhaust much more...Got mine from VF Engineering and the car is a beast. For $1,000, best investment you can make, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I am installing catless down pipes Friday. Obviously I will need a tune. Local tuner in Scottsdale AZ wants $1400 for a dyno tune. Do I need a dyno tune? Or can I get away with the above mentioned VF Engineering tune for the $1000?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #18
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
You could likely get away with a bootmod3 tune but if you are gonna put downpipes on you seriously need to consider wrapping them and/or coating them. It is this sort of stuff the result in engine failures. Please consider the 2nd/3rd order effects of actions. The rear pistons and rod bearings under these conditions do fail.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #19
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so what do I need to do exactly to avoid problems. Wrap the down pipes and a proper tune? Sounds very doable. I was thinking the VF Engineering that another member referred to. I'm guessing a stage two.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #20
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so what do I need to do exactly to avoid problems. Wrap the down pipes and a proper tune? Sounds very doable. I was thinking the VF Engineering that another member referred to. I'm guessing a stage two.
I am not gonna pretend to be the all know authority on this but I know what I have seen and a few other owners of BMW's wit these hot-v M cars.

Heat management and lubrication. The oem down pipes are dual walled which help with heat insulation to the rear two cylinders. You need to understand how oil thins as it becomes hotter and thermally degenerates to the point that it can no longer cal cool and lubricate.

I am enamored with the design of the hot-v engine it is truly amazing but with great power comes great responsibility. More time than not even the most well-intentioned efforts won't stop what lies in wait.

My advice, don't get greedy with power, watch the heat, be more than overly generous with oil changes and I sincerely implore you to find a reputable indy bmw shop and have them do the rod bearings before you head down this path. Don't use the factory bearings.

An experienced indy shop will know that the factory bearings are not gonna cut it and like a doctors visit if you discuss your goals with them they will provide you with a plan to get there.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #21
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

So car has already been worked on:

20% ceramic tint all around
wheels gloss black powder coated
rear trunk lid carbon fiber spoiler
front splitter carbon fiber spoiler
catless downpipes