BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

SOS Call System Failure Message

I'm passing on a little tip here which I was given from the BMW coding site **************. It may only apply to UK cars but here it is anyway

I had an annoying fault whereby at random times on startup an "SOS Call System Failure" message would pop up. Seems this is quite a common problem here in the UK at least. A coder wanted £60 to code it out but after posting a question on the ********* site, I was given the solution.

You need the Bimmercode app (cost about £30) and a bluetooth ODBII port dongle (I use a Vgate iCar Pro which cost about £20). I already had both anyway and had used it to code out stop/start and to turn the radio off when you open the driver door.

Open the Bimmercode app and go to Instrument Cluster/Expert Mode/3301 CC_ID_Sperre/CC_ACTIVIERUNG_5/Custom Value. You should see 'FF' listed in Bytes 0 to 7. Scroll to Byte 5 and change it from FF to F7 and press 'Done'.

Then back out to the 'Instrument Cluster' menu and hit 'Code'. The 'SOS Call System Failure' message is now gone and has stayed gone this last week. The only thing the car asked me to do was reset time. Nothing else was impacted.
Appreciate 5
      01-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I had that happen to me in the US while the car was still under warranty. The dealer re-flashed something and it has not come back. But the coding trick is good to know. Just know that unless you already own one, Bimmercode no longer recommends the VGate OBD dongle, or any wireless dongle. Get a recommended bluetooth dongle instead - I have the VeePeak.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

+1 for VeePeak. Has worked flawlessly for me so far, and is much cheaper than the other recommendations, at least in Canada.

As for this specific coding, is this a "fix" for the underlying issue, or is it just to hide the message or trick the car (e.g. disabling the system or the failure check)? Do you know if the SOS function still works by any chance? Regardless, will keep this in mind in case I run into the issue myself, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Well...as I was checking through iDrive to make sure everything was still working as it should, the car suddenly dialed BMW Emergency Services. I apologised to the nice person who answered saying I dialed by mistake. But, it was an intermittent fault anyway. That has never happened again so it was my mistake. I suspect all I have done here is deleted the SOS failure message. It's not a concern though as if I needed emergency assistance, I'd use my mobile phone to dial 999 which cuts out the middle man (BMW Emergency Services) or for a breakdown, I'd call my own recovery service
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
overboostJA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
I'm passing on a little tip here which I was given from the BMW coding site **************. It may only apply to UK cars but here it is anyway

I had an annoying fault whereby at random times on startup an "SOS Call System Failure" message would pop up. Seems this is quite a common problem here in the UK at least. A coder wanted £60 to code it out but after posting a question on the ********* site, I was given the solution.

You need the Bimmercode app (cost about £30) and a bluetooth ODBII port dongle (I use a Vgate iCar Pro which cost about £20). I already had both anyway and had used it to code out stop/start and to turn the radio off when you open the driver door.

Open the Bimmercode app and go to Instrument Cluster/Expert Mode/3301 CC_ID_Sperre/CC_ACTIVIERUNG_5/Custom Value. You should see 'FF' listed in Bytes 0 to 7. Scroll to Byte 5 and change it from FF to F7 and press 'Done'.

Then back out to the 'Instrument Cluster' menu and hit 'Code'. The 'SOS Call System Failure' message is now gone and has stayed gone this last week. The only thing the car asked me to do was reset time. Nothing else was impacted.
I am so happy i found this. it worked for me! two days and the "SOS Failure" light is gone. im so happy.! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
maron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60&F06

Quote:

I'm honored to help you
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
Malik550
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 Gran Coupe

Been living with this fault since I got the car, I'm going to try this today!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Malik550
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 Gran Coupe

Had the same issue forever, just followed the instructions here and coded it away! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

Got myself the VeePeak BLE+ and Bimmercode, but I can’t seem to find “3301“ under Instrument Cluster/Expert Mode.

I understand it’s probably due to yours being a 6 series. Anybody know how to do this on a 1 series E82? This is the only thread that comes up when I search for coding SOS with bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Danny111
Rep
Drives: 640d

THANK YOU so much to posting this, I've been look for this last year and it all sorted now

Thanks once again

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #11
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
If anyone else has this, another thing is to check the little speaker that is on the under-dash trim (above the pedals on a UK car....not sure about US).

If this speaker is not connected (or connected properly), or perhaps has blown, the system will flag this message up.

I know because when I fitted my throttle tuning box, I disconnected and removed that trim section, then before re-fitting everything turned the car on, and this message came up.

Turned it off, put the trim back in place with the speaker connected, turned on and no warning message.

The SOS system uses that speaker.
      05-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #12
up2up
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M 2019

Thank you very much for the info..
have been suffering from this for long.

Couldn’t find the relevant coding
Any ideas?
I have x5 g20

Quote:

Last edited by up2up; 05-10-2021 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #13
thekl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650 Grand coup

I couldn't find the 3301 code in bimmercode app either, i have a 2008 650i convertible.
I would love to get rid of the SOS code malfunction. Everything else on the vehicle works.

I would greatly love any additional advice or tell me where I can find the proper code information.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #14
gozer61
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Worked gret for my 2016 X1

The instructions worked great for me on my 2016 X1. Thanks!

Dealer wanted $200 for diagnostics and another $400 to clear the dashboard indicators.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ $45.45 (USD)
Bimmercode app $48.50 (USD)

Now I have access to a lot of interesting info and possible changes I can make too.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #15
GregX1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer61 View Post
The instructions worked great for me on my 2016 X1. Thanks!

Dealer wanted $200 for diagnostics and another $400 to clear the dashboard indicators.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ $45.45 (USD)
Bimmercode app $48.50 (USD)

Now I have access to a lot of interesting info and possible changes I can make too.
gozer61

I have a 2017 X1 F48. Is your X1 also F48? I just want to make sure before I purchase these items.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #16
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregX1 View Post
gozer61

I have a 2017 X1 F48. Is your X1 also F48? I just want to make sure before I purchase these items.
All X1s were F48 until the 2023 model year. There was a first gen and second gen F48, but both of yours are first gen.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #17
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Thanks for this!

Thanks for this! I haven’t experienced that problem, but if I do, now I have a fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #18
hythemr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Talking 2015 M6

I had the SOS error bought the vgate pro and bimmer code app. Everything is exactly the same except instead of 3301 it was 3001. Everything else identical and after a few starts so far so good. Asked me to set the time, but otherwise kosher. Thank you much!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:05 PM   #19
M83211Dxb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:

Hi Mark , I have the same message in my F48. Would the same steps work to remove the warning? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 05:05 AM   #20
TomF36
Registered
Rep
Drives: 4 Series Gran Coupé

Amazing, thanks for sharing! Has anyone tried this on a 4 Series Gran Coupé (F36)? Mine is a 2017 420d LCI UK spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #21
Lorvig
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i BMW 640d

Hi everyone. Is it possible to do this coding using ISTA? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 03:25 PM   #22
nigel52
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

SOS call system failure message

Quote:

I purchased Bimmercode App and recommended Bluetooth ODB11 as suggested but there is no code 3301 . I have X5 F15. Please any suggestions as getting really frustrated.
Appreciate 0