BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #23
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Finally did it.

M6 mufflers installed, really happy with the look and sound. Install was subpar, may have it redone more professionally at a later date, but at least they are on the car... I noticed that the valves are not opening when they should. The installer said he used some extension tubing to make it to the M6 valves. Looks flimsy to me... probably collapsing under vacuum or maybe kinking. I've never heard of anyone needing to extend the tubing for this install... Should I be able to redirect the factory vacuum tubing over to the outside tip of the M6 mufflers???? Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #24
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

What size tops did you end up running sixpost? Any pics?

Wish I had some advice on the valves but unfortunately I don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #25
SixPost
Private
Rep

I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow... I went with stock M6 pieces, but changed the colors up to suit my car / taste... Any pics of your finished product, or not finished yet???
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #26
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds great. As far as my car, still no changes since the post below. This FI exhaust system has turned into a complete disaster. Without going into crazy details, after waiting 2 months for it to be delivered, and then trying to figure out another issue, I finally tried to have it installed last week only to find it does not fit at all. I think I just really want m6 mufflers now and I have heard they will take 4" (102mm tips).

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387160
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #27
SixPost
Private
Rep

Took some pics and tried to upload, but the file size wasn't accepted. Since I'm working with only my phone right now, I'm not sure how to change the file size / format to make uploading possible... I'll get some pics up as soon as I figure it out...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #28
SixPost
Private
Rep

Here we go...

Got the pics accepted. Alpine White. M6 lower clip painted gloss black to match shadowline trim on the rest of the car. Stock M6 carbon fiber center piece. Stock M6 mufflers, tips powdercoated silk black (between matte and gloss). Was looking to be more agressive than stock, yet still understated if possible. Some have said that black tips get lost in the black / CF background, but I think it looks good... Only works on Alpine White though...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #29
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #30
skilz4u2nv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650xi

Looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #31
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650i gran coupe m sport

looks good! how does it sound in terms of drone, start up, and slowing down to zero?

I currently have a set up with the stock 650i mufflers. I used an s pipe to accommodate fit on bigger, 4" quad tips powder coated in gloss black. For this process, I cut off the actuator (i think its called?) where the flap is for the exhaust opening fully.

I think it looks great but am experiencing some drone particularly in sports mode and a slight gurgle (not always) when the car slows down to a stop. It is very tolerable but I would prefer to eliminate these issues entirely if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #32
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are some pics of the result
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #33
SixPost
Private
Rep

Looks good! I have no drone issues, lots more gurgling as I slow down. I hear the exhaust much more than stock with the windows down... windows up, still pretty quiet...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #34
Spinner6996
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8 Pure Impulse

I am sure both of these questions are answered somewhere but....
Can I just disconnect the vacuum line to the exhaust valves and have them default to open? And what is the easiest way to convert to the black quad tip look?? Mine is a 650 with the M sport.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #35
SixPost
Private
Rep

Default is always closed.... so that's definitely not what anyone wants. Capping off the lines is done when the second outlet has been permanently wired in the open position, or when an aftermarket system has been installed that doesn't support the vacuum actuated valve system. Leaving the vacuum lines "sucking air" may cause fault codes.

As for the black quad tip look, buying M6 mufflers is the way I did it. Had the chrome tips powdercoated silk black. Some aftermarket systems have the option of going with black quads. The M6 "competition package" exhaust system comes with stock black tips, but it is highly sought after and thus becomes quite costly for a used exhaust system...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #36
Spinner6996
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8 Pure Impulse

Thanks for the fast response. So to clarify, the flap in the exhaust valve needs to be wired open? You wouldn't by chance have any pics as to what that looks like?
Or a DIY description??
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #37
SixPost
Private
Rep

There is a product called "exhaustmeister" that gives you complete control if thats what you're after. Search this forum for "exhaust flap mod" and "exhaustmeister" and you'll find everything you need...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #38
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
Looks good! I have no drone issues, lots more gurgling as I slow down. I hear the exhaust much more than stock with the windows down... windows up, still pretty quiet...
Try wiring one side open (right side). It'll be a bit louder without the drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #39
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by araithat View Post
looks good! how does it sound in terms of drone, start up, and slowing down to zero?

I currently have a set up with the stock 650i mufflers. I used an s pipe to accommodate fit on bigger, 4" quad tips powder coated in gloss black. For this process, I cut off the actuator (i think its called?) where the flap is for the exhaust opening fully.

I think it looks great but am experiencing some drone particularly in sports mode and a slight gurgle (not always) when the car slows down to a stop. It is very tolerable but I would prefer to eliminate these issues entirely if possible.
Araithat - I am going to assume that you haven't read through all my posts and issues on the exhaust look I have been trying to achieve but if you were to, you would read that what you have done is what I have been searching for for a long time. I always liked the sound of the stock 650 m sport mufflers but I wanted quad 4 inch tips. You achieved it! I'd PM you to ask this question but it may help out others in the future. Can you provide some more details how you were able to fit 4" tips on the stock 650 muffler? If I remember correctly the 2 outlets from the muffler are only spaced 3.25" on center which means that you could only slide 3" tips on. I am guessing you did something with the s pipe here? If so did you custom make it or buy it? Any link? Did you have to take the valve out or was that just your choice to get more noise? Was there any heavy modification required by your shop? Lastly.. Where did you buy your tips from? I am hoping to go to my muffler shop and have them do the same thing. Again... Great job!

Last edited by MSUGOGRN; 08-17-2017 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #40
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUGOGRN View Post
Araithat - I am going to assume that you haven't read through all my posts and issues on the exhaust look I have been trying to achieve but if you were to, you would read that what you have done is what I have been searching for for a long time. I always liked the sound of the stock 650 m sport mufflers but I wanted quad 4 inch tips. You achieved it! I'd PM you to ask this question but it may help out others in the future. Can you provide some more details how you were able to fit 4" tips on the stock 650 muffler? If I remember correctly the 2 outlets from the muffler are only spaced 3.25" on center which means that you could only slide 3" tips on. I am guessing you did something with the s pipe here? If so did you custom make it or buy it? Any link? Did you have to take the valve out or was that just your choice to get more noise? Was there any heavy modification required by your shop? Lastly.. Where did you buy your tips from? I am hoping to go to my muffler shop and have them do the same thing. Again... Great job!
Thanks! I will provide detailed pictures when I get a chance over the next few days. The s pipe was custom made for the inside outlet on both sides. This process created the space I needed to put on bigger tips by creating a greater space between outlets. With the diffuser I purchased, they had to cut the valve off for better fitment.

Therr was modification required by my shop to make the pipe. The shop also provided me with standard Stainless Steel tips that I power coated in gloss black before application.

I must say I still may fiddle with it to get the valves back on if possible. I may need to get a bit more creative to get this to work. There is more of an exhaust note at lower rpms, very little drone but still some. The drone bothers me a tad but I Beleive this is better than other options although I haven't compared it to a 650i with m6 mufflers. I was very tempted to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #41
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can't wait to see the pics. For the tips it sounds like they are single tips, 2.5" in to 4" out? When you do have a moment to take a pic, would kind grabbing one from below? I have an m6 diffuser with a vorsteiner style carbon diffuser so I will be going for a similar look.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #42
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Here are some pics of the result
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #43
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I will provide detailed pictures when I get a chance over the next few days. The s pipe was custom made for the inside outlet on both sides. This process created the space I needed to put on bigger tips by creating a greater space between outlets. With the diffuser I purchased, they had to cut the valve off for better fitment.

Therr was modification required by my shop to make the pipe. The shop also provided me with standard Stainless Steel tips that I power coated in gloss black before application.

I must say I still may fiddle with it to get the valves back on if possible. I may need to get a bit more creative to get this to work. There is more of an exhaust note at lower rpms, very little drone but still some. The drone bothers me a tad but I Beleive this is better than other options although I haven't compared it to a 650i with m6 mufflers. I was very tempted to go that route.
Have you had the chance to take any pics yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #44
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quick bump to see if you ever got a chance to take a pic?
Appreciate 0