BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Old Town Road

Anybody like this song? According to Billboard, this is not a Country song. It is the number one song in the country on Hot 100 and would be on the country chart if it was not removed from the country billboard chart. Billy Ray Cyrus hopped on the remix and the song is fire.

Last edited by bimmer456; 04-13-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Great song and about as country as it gets...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Thoroughly enjoy the song, both the remix and original. There have been other songs collaborated like this in the past that were labeled country as well. Only thing I see different with this one is the foundation of the song (beat) is rap. Others typically use country rhythm with rap lyrics, maybe a little bit of beat, but mostly revolves around the country rhythm.

Regardless, the entire premise of the song is country and should be considered.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

This thread made me look it up and listen. I've never been a fan of the country/rap/hip-hop mash's. I actually kind of dig this one. I'm not usually a main stream guy either. Once something hits the radio and everyone is singing it, I stop listening to it. I guess this makes me a music snob, I'll own it.

Dig the song though......although probably not something I'd bump while driving down the road. Bars, clubs and the radio will run this shit into the ground until we are all sick of it soon enough.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Anybody like this song? According to Billboard, this is not a Country song. It is the number one song in the country on Hot 100 and would be on the country chart if it was not removed from the country billboard chart. Billy Ray Cyrus hopped on the remix and the song is fire.

Billboard is in a tough spot. The original version of the song, before Billy Ray helped remix it, WAS on the country hot 100. They pulled it for unknown reasons. Apparently it was not country enough despite having banjos, singing with a country twang, and traditionally country lyrics. Whatever their reasoning they pulled it. Now Billy Ray comes along and sings a couple verses. Are they supposed to add it back onto the list? If they do the message could look like "Now that you've added an old white dude, it can be country again." As I said, they backed themselves into a corner. Probably best to just own up to the mistake and add it back on the list, but what do I know.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      04-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:

Billboard is in a tough spot. The original version of the song, before Billy Ray helped remix it, WAS on the country hot 100. They pulled it for unknown reasons. Apparently it was not country enough despite having banjos, singing with a country twang, and traditionally country lyrics. Whatever their reasoning they pulled it. Now Billy Ray comes along and sings a couple verses. Are they supposed to add it back onto the list? If they do the message could look like "Now that you've added an old white dude, it can be country again." As I said, they backed themselves into a corner. Probably best to just own up to the mistake and add it back on the list, but what do I know.
It would seem racist to add it back with Billy on it like there has to be a white country artist on the track for it to be country. Nelly and Tim McGraw did a track together and it wasn't on the country chart either.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Great song! I like what Billy Ray told lil nas X: You can't be an outlaw if you aren't outlawed (or something to that effect). Being an outlaw country fan (Willie, Waylon, and the boys) I really like this song, especially the version with Billy Ray on it. He sounded great (and I am not a Billy Ray Cyrus fan)!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:

It would seem racist to add it back with Billy on it like there has to be a white country artist on the track for it to be country. Nelly and Tim McGraw did a track together and it wasn't on the country chart either.
Exactly.

I think the real problem is with so many collaborations and mashups of musical styles it's no longer easy, logical, or relevant to try to put songs into buckets (country, rock, etc). You could try to define the hell out of what "country" is like "it must have at minimum 8 out of the following 10 criteria to qualify" but then some boundary pushing artist is just going to blow that all to hell. Aerosmith and Run DMC in Walk This Way. Was it rap? Was it rock? How about when Metallica did that collaboration with the San Fran Symphony? What the hell bucket does that fall into? Maybe we need a catch all "Awesome and Undefinable" category?

One this is for sure. When artists push the boundaries and create music that does not fall neatly into predefined categories, we all win.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00