BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
SixteenM6
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Grand Coupe

A/C question

Is there any setting that can prevent the A/C from turning on every time I start the car?

I looked into all options buried in the iDrive system and I even cleared all personal profiles to start fresh, but the A/C never STAYS off after I shut if off and restart the car next morning or after a few hours. I've noticed it doesn't forget to stay off if I start the car again after just 20 min or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
SoCalM6GC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post
Is there any setting that can prevent the A/C from turning on every time I start the car?

I looked into all options buried in the iDrive system and I even cleared all personal profiles to start fresh, but the A/C never STAYS off after I shut if off and restart the car next morning or after a few hours. I've noticed it doesn't forget to stay off if I start the car again after just 20 min or so.
Coding, or go to the dealer and complain. They should be able to do that for you. Same with the auto Start/Stop, the dealer can make that stay off unless you push the button to turn it on.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
SixteenM6
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Coding, or go to the dealer and complain. They should be able to do that for you. Same with the auto Start/Stop, the dealer can make that stay off unless you push the button to turn it on.
Oh, makes sense. Actually in my car the start/stop stays off all the time, and I like that. Seems like there is a tool for coding out there for the end user, carly I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
K7
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post

I second this. I find it so annoying when the climate control turns on with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
m34josh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Even if you press the button to turn the "auto" off?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:12 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d

Must have auto on. Doesn't turn on for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34josh View Post
Even if you press the button to turn the "auto" off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Must have auto on. Doesn't turn on for me.
I think the complaints in this thread are coming from owners that purchased a car that has an IHKA (automatic climate control system) vs the standard IHKR (manual climate control system)...that turns itself ON in most situations.

I may be wrong (but I doubt it in this case)...but I think the complaints have nothing to do with the AUTO button being on (which is for automatic air distribution and blower speed control)...but more about that the HVAC system turns itself own even after they have completely turned it off when the car is restarted at a later time. The system will stay off as long as you restart the car before it has gone into SLEEP mode (which usually takes approx 16 minutes without any calls on the communication bus system).

Unfortunately for owners that have this complaint...unless you can find coding software...the system will usually turn itself back on because that's the way it was designed. There are interior recirculation filters (micro/pollen filters) that are incorporated in its design...so the system turns itself back on...at the LOWEST fan speed setting...when the system has been turned completely off...then the car restarted at a later time.

People with allergies probably don't complain...or owners that don't have an issue with pressing the FAN speed button to turn the system back off...if they still want the system shut down completely.

BTW, I've been reading this same complaint since the mid 1990s (e38/e39 era) that had the IHKA set-up.
BMW CCA Member #191509
Appreciate 0