BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
pr0xy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M6 Convertible (F12)

Got hit -- assess the damage

So, I was out shopping, I come out and see that my M6 has been scraped on the front bumper. Looks like maybe someone was backing out and hit me.

Great start to the weekend! Do you guys think this could be touched up or will the whole bumper need to be removed and whole bumper refinished ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

unfortunately the whole bumper has to come off and be repainted. That really sucks, sorry to see that.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
unfortunately the whole bumper has to come off and be repainted. That really sucks, sorry to see that.
Yep. So about $700 or so including all the new clips and they may elect to also replace the sensors as they tend to get broken when. The bumper comes off.

I'm guessing it's just a bit more than your deductible.
      07-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Yep. So about $700 or so including all the new clips and they may elect to also replace the sensors as they tend to get broken when. The bumper comes off.

Every damn time right?! If it's $200 more than your deductible I wouldn't even involve insurance and give them a reason to raise your rates.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:17 AM   #5
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Hope you learned your lesson.

Rookie mistake going out and existing in the world.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #6
pr0xy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

What sensors are those that may be needing replacement?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
pr0xy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Hope you learned your lesson.

Rookie mistake going out and existing in the world.
Yeah, no joke. After this incident, I'm installing a dashcam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Yeah, I need new tires so the repair will need to wait. Plus, I may wait until something else happens to the bumper, rock chips etc.

On another note, does anyone have a good write-up on removing the bumper cover?

Last edited by pr0xy; 07-07-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

When I got an estimate to touch up my X5, they recommended replacing the parking sensors as they said it's easy to break them as they are removed. A good shop can do it without having to replace the sensors, but if insurance is paying for it, then they usually recommend replacing them.

I also recommend repairing the bumper and not waiting for "another incident". I had a similar situation on my M3, a scrape, but nothing too noticeable. Well guess, what.. I noticed it EVERY time I looked at my car, and it bothered me ALL the time. For 7 years, it bothered me everyday, and it was even more noticeable when the car was washed. I eventually sold the M3 with the scrape unrepaired, and while it didn't affect the price, I had to explain it, which was also painful. A properly repaired bumper would be undetectable to a naked eye.
      07-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Slimm2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13

Quote:
When I got an estimate to touch up my X5, they recommended replacing the parking sensors as they said it's easy to break them as they are removed. A good shop can do it without having to replace the sensors, but if insurance is paying for it, then they usually recommend replacing them.

I also recommend repairing the bumper and not waiting for "another incident". I had a similar situation on my M3, a scrape, but nothing too noticeable. Well guess, what.. I noticed it EVERY time I looked at my car, and it bothered me ALL the time. For 7 years, it bothered me everyday, and it was even more noticeable when the car was washed. I eventually sold the M3 with the scrape unrepaired, and while it didn't affect the price, I had to explain it, which was also painful. A properly repaired bumper would be undetectable to a naked eye.

Lmaooo for 7 years huh
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

I’ve had to remove and install my front bumper a few times. Not that hard at all. The hardest part is removing all the little screws underneath and then lining everything back up. In regards to the damaging of sensors, that’s not an issue here with this car. theres one plug that connects to all the sensors and one that connects to the bumper cameras. I’ve had my bumper off on 3 seperate occasions and everything is fine. Any good body shop should have those special sensor masking tape tabs. After you get this repaired, I reccomend getting a full clear bra installed on front half of car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
that sUCKS. I'm always paranoid about this.. Ugh. I had my Rover bumped into, while parked, with ME in the car.. The idiot's insurance paid for everything, it was such a low speed bump, my sensors were all fine, but the body shop that fixed it quoted 1000 bucks, which the idiot's insurance paid for! If you catch em on the spot, its taken care of. If not, you're SOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
that sUCKS. I'm always paranoid about this.. Ugh. I had my Rover bumped into, while parked, with ME in the car.. The idiot's insurance paid for everything, it was such a low speed bump, my sensors were all fine, but the body shop that fixed it quoted 1000 bucks, which the idiot's insurance paid for! If you catch em on the spot, its taken care of. If not, you're SOL.
Same thing happened to me on campus. The guy had the nerve to say it was no big deal because there was a little ding on some other part of my car and I should just ignore it. Fool had the nerve to walk away saying “I’m late to class” It was so satisfying hearing him complain to his insurance when they had to cut the check and planned to drop him for leaving the scene.
Appreciate 0