BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-06-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d

Hi guys im new to the forum I recently treated myself to a 640d 2014 & I’m thinking of removing the swirl flaps from my 640, I’ve been told that by doing this it will reduce my mpg thus making the car more juicy on fuel is this true? I’ve developed the common issue with the stop point on the swirl flap actuator I’ve seen the thread on how to sort it so will have it looked at soon as weather gets a bit better
Thanks in advance for your replies
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 11:35 AM   #3
suj999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F06 640d M Sport, F10 520d SE

I thought the design changed on the N57 and it's a swirl control?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
Js640d
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d coupe

It is easy to sort the stop issue out as I did it on my 640d. However you can get a replacement inlet manifold from darkside developments for reasonable money. I took the manifold off mine and cleaned it out and then put a new stop on it for the actuator. If I was doing it now I would just fit a new manifold such as the ones darkside sell. I removed the swirl,flaps from my 635d which is a different engine and then experienced issues with regens so Imwould not go down that route.
Cheers
Jim
Cheers
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 01:37 PM   #5
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suj999 View Post
I thought the design changed on the N57 and it's a swirl control?
I stand corrected yes it is on a control rail I believe
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:42 PM   #6
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js640d View Post
It is easy to sort the stop issue out as I did it on my 640d. However you can get a replacement inlet manifold from darkside developments for reasonable money. I took the manifold off mine and cleaned it out and then put a new stop on it for the actuator. If I was doing it now I would just fit a new manifold such as the ones darkside sell. I removed the swirl,flaps from my 635d which is a different engine and then experienced issues with regens so Imwould not go down that route.
Cheers
Jim
Cheers
The inlet manifold from dark side developments is it the same as the 1 that’s currently on the car as in with the flaps in them still? I heard a few stories when I had an e60 530d of swirlflaps being swallowed up & smashing the internals in the engine hence why I’m thinking of removing them completely or not to? & by removing the swirlflaps does it reduce my fuel economy noticeably?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
Js640d
Rep

The design is different and they are on one long rail. The issues happen when the linkage wears and when the car is started the actuator does a sweep and because of the wear it rotates too far. This causes it to think the linkage has broken and then puts the car in limp mode. It only does the sweep on the first start up and that’s why it resets on a restart. Since doing mine about 18 months ago it has been spot on. Again as said as manifolds with swirl flaps and new linkages are fairly cheap now I would just replace the lot and retain the swirl flaps.
Cheers
Jim
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 01:43 PM   #8
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The design is different and they are on one long rail. The issues happen when the linkage wears and when the car is started the actuator does a sweep and because of the wear it rotates too far. This causes it to think the linkage has broken and then puts the car in limp mode. It only does the sweep on the first start up and that’s why it resets on a restart. Since doing mine about 18 months ago it has been spot on. Again as said as manifolds with swirl flaps and new linkages are fairly cheap now I would just replace the lot and retain the swirl flaps.
Cheers
Jim
Thanks Jim I appreciate your advice
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:44 PM   #9
Js640d
Rep

The swirl flaps on your engine are very different to the earlier 530d and they don’t fail in the same way they used too.
Cheers
Jim
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #10
Js640d
Rep

Changing the manifold looks complicated but in reality it is only a couple of hours to do if your reasonably handy with a spanner.
Cheers
Jim
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 01:46 PM   #11
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Cheers
Jim
I think I may have seen your post about the actuator doing a sweep & the screw method sorting it if that was you?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:47 PM   #12
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Changing the manifold looks complicated but in reality it is only a couple of hours to do if your reasonably handy with a spanner.
Cheers
Jim
Does it affect the fuel economy if they are removed? Any idea
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #13
Js640d
Rep

I did a different post but was pointed in the right direction from that post. I didn’t use a screw but used metal putty on the actuator and then filed it down until the stop was in the right position.
Cheers
Jim
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 01:56 PM   #14
Js640d
Rep

When I took them out of my 635d I didn’t notice any difference but it didn’t feel as good in lower revs and then I had a lot of issues with the car regening too frequently. I know Rasa has removed them from his 640d and he is on this site so he may be able to comment although his car is mapped. Due to the issues I had I would not remove again and as they are a completely different design there are no issues with them destroying your engine.cheers
Jim
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 03:45 PM   #15
Tazzie-///M
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
When I took them out of my 635d I didn’t notice any difference but it didn’t feel as good in lower revs and then I had a lot of issues with the car regening too frequently. I know Rasa has removed them from his 640d and he is on this site so he may be able to comment although his car is mapped. Due to the issues I had I would not remove again and as they are a completely different design there are no issues with them destroying your engine.cheers
Jim
I hear what your saying I’m just in 2 minds as to completely remove them, although mine has not been remapped as yet but has had the dpf removed & had the dpf & egr delete done by the previous owner, I’ve just had this issue with the actuator & whilst sorting that part out thought I’d remove flaps completely whilest manifold is off being cleaned from carbon buildup & avoid the risk of thinking they could break & kill the engine, I did look on darksides website & seen the inlet manifold & not a baad price either imo I’ve heard they are very good at what they do & not too too far away from me think I’ll be possibly taking my 640 to them for a remap in the near future also heard dms are very good at mapping 640s
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 03:10 AM   #16
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

had mine done last year£90 from bmw indy i use,i supplied the blank kit,but its only a cam type bung/stop made of alloy,£12 and you get gaskets,but mine were still great nick so only did the swirl stop.and mpg is in nowhere reduced,i can still see over 53 mpg as i did a long run in early jan,steady 56-60 mph for over 100 miles etc,
Appreciate 1