BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Introextro
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC CP San Marino

433M wheel scratch repair

Hello-

Took my car out yesterday and got the first scratches/ scuffs on my front right wheel from a rock. The scratch is on the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire.
I think these wheels are machined so not sure how to fix them. Is there an easy paint that will get me say 70% to original or at least hide the nasty black spots that are showing? Thanks, appreciate any help..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introextro View Post
Hello-

Took my car out yesterday and got the first scratches/ scuffs on my front right wheel from a rock. The scratch is on the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire.
I think these wheels are machined so not sure how to fix them. Is there an easy paint that will get me say 70% to original or at least hide the nasty black spots that are showing? Thanks, appreciate any help..
They're diamond polished which means the rim has been cut on a lathe and then a coat of clear lacquer applied. Only way to fix it properly is to get the wheel fully refurbed.

However depending on the extent of the damage you can wet sand it to get rid of the roughness and reduce how noticeable it is. I did this on a wheel on my previous E92 M3 and it came up pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Introextro
Private
Rep

Thanks. The answer I was scared of! the damage seems very little, I earlier thought the paint has come off only, but given BMW did us a favor and machined these..
I will put in a picture, appreciate your thoughts. Perhaps a silver chrome paint pen will be good for now..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:58 AM   #4
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introextro View Post
Thanks. The answer I was scared of! the damage seems very little, I earlier thought the paint has come off only, but given BMW did us a favor and machined these..
I will put in a picture, appreciate your thoughts. Perhaps a silver chrome paint pen will be good for now..
Paint won't look good. Better to wet sand it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Introextro
Private
Rep

Here are the pictures, still wet sanding is th best option I assume? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 03:11 AM   #6
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yes. What you have is a machined surface covered with clear lacquer. Putting paint onto that won't last and you will clearly see it as there's no build up of primer/undercoat etc.

The damage you have is much less than what I had on my M3 diamond cut wheels. After wet sanding it won't be as noticeable as you'll smooth out the rough edges. The only way to get it perfect is to get the whole wheel refurbed on a diamond cutting lathe.

If you get very fine grit emery paper and wetsand it, following the direction of the rim then you'll smooth out the rough edges. It won't be perfect but it won't be noticebale from a distance.

Put it this way my M3 was leased and they didn't comment on the wheels after inspecting the car for hand over at the end.

EDIT - Just make sure you mask off the grey powder coated surface in the inside of the rim so you don't damage it when wet-sanding.
Appreciate 0