BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-24-2022, 05:14 AM   #1
Airz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Sakhir Coupe

Boot/trunk water ingress

Has anyone else had any issues with water getting into the boot/trunk? I started getting parking brake failure warnings so ran the BMW diagnostics which told me to check the controller in the spare wheel well. Once I took the cover off I could see about 2 cm of water in there with a connector half submerged. Suffice to say it was the connector that went to the parking brake control unit.

Trying to figure out now how the water got in there. I dried it all out, cleaned the corroded contacts and sprayed with contact cleaner so it all seems to be working now but if I close the lid and spray with a hose I don't see any water getting in.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airz View Post
Has anyone else had any issues with water getting into the boot/trunk? I started getting parking brake failure warnings so ran the BMW diagnostics which told me to check the controller in the spare wheel well. Once I took the cover off I could see about 2 cm of water in there with a connector half submerged. Suffice to say it was the connector that went to the parking brake control unit.

Trying to figure out now how the water got in there. I dried it all out, cleaned the corroded contacts and sprayed with contact cleaner so it all seems to be working now but if I close the lid and spray with a hose I don't see any water getting in.
Is this a convertible? I believe the F13 Coupe the older it is the more prone to the weather seal around your boot lid coming loose on the corners. It seems whatever glue BMW used over time it degrades and the seal starts to fall off, I had to reglue mine on both ends of the boot lid. Have a look this might be your issue perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
Airz
Private
Rep

No this is the coupe unfortunately. Most of the info I've found is about the convertible or the old 6 series which is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airz View Post
No this is the coupe unfortunately. Most of the info I've found is about the convertible or the old 6 series which is annoying.
Sorry about my poor wording and sentence structure! What I meant is I know the convertibles have an issue with plugged drain holes leading to water in the trunk. The M6 coupes especially older ones have a weather strip around the trunk when you open it its glued to the trunk and as the car ages it has a tendency to fall off especially on the sides leaving room for water to get in. Have a look this might be your problem. My 2013 Coupe had the weather strip falling off on both sides I had to re-glue it back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
Airz
Private
Rep

Thanks very much for the suggestion Mhaus. I had actually spotted that and already re-glued it but still kept getting water in the boot.
We've not had much rain here recently so it had be difficult to diagnose but I have now got to the bottom of it.
For anyone who gets has this issue and the boot seal isn't the issue then check your reversing camera under the BMW emblem.
The camera has a rubber boot and mine was all cracked and no longer keeping water out. BMW sell them separately and the are about £30 and look pretty easy to replace.
It's part 13 in the image below.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 01:28 AM   #6
t0mas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F07

For others with the same issue, part 13 in that picture is part number 51247273662 at the BMW dealer. But did you find out whether it's easy to replace?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:21 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mas View Post
For others with the same issue, part 13 in that picture is part number 51247273662 at the BMW dealer. But did you find out whether it's easy to replace?
It’s not real easy…but not too hard either. Ive seen DIYs…and you have to remove #12 in the diagram above to access the rubber grommet (#13).

The grommet is easy to replace once you’ve removed the trunk panel to access and remove the camera assembly. The grommet has stuff mounted in front of it which has to come off…then once clear…you simply remove the damaged grommet off the 4-6 tabs that secures it and insert the new one. You can see some of the holes/openings on each corner that secures the grommet.

You the put everything back. Again, it doesn’t look that difficult…you just need to remove some trunk trim and the cam unit.

If you do a google search using the 11 digit part number for the grommet…you may get a better idea and may even find a DIY. Good luck and take pics to update this thread if you go in to do it yourself.

EDIT:

Here’s a link to a post that has a PDF about the rear cam install for f chassis 6 series: https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=11

And here’s some screen captures from that PDF of the rear cam assembly that showed the several different screws you need to undo to remove the cam assembly from the trunk lid if you want to access and change the rubber grommet.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-04-2024 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:31 PM   #8
ranger175abn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Competition

3rd Brake Light

We have a 2014 M6 Competition third brake light went bad causing 4 computers to go out as well and found out this was a known problem with BMW and was a bulletin on them. 50 Vehicles in the United States waiting on the part and this must be replaced to ensure the new computers replaced do not get wet and malfunction again. Needless to say a very costly event. I am still waiting on the new part (3rd Brake Light) but found to used that were on Ebay in good shape to work until the new one comes in. Called BMW and they of course were no help. by the way I used to be a BMW dealer and their customer service is absolutely horrible.
Appreciate 0