07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Thoughts on i8

Hey guys, first of all, SUPER happy with my M6. Only have a ECU tune and some codings, suspension adjustments, but otherwise stock. In love with the car. Few gripes I have is that it shoulda had radar cruise control, the HUD unit causes glare, and it really shouda had that robot seat belt thing like the E92 M3, for the price. Other than that, car is just an amazing machine. No hassles, no issues, just runs like a beast. I've tracked it, drove cross country and it shares DD duty alongside my range rover.

I haveeee been looking at I8's on the side, i kind of need an EV in my life; was thinking the i8 would do quite well, looks great, decent performance (nothing like the m6). Anyone have any experience with them? I test drove one, but the stupid dealership didnt have the batts charged, so it was useless.

Interior on the m6 is way better, and ofc more power. Not sure if I would regret swapping the m6 for an i8.. I figured with a ECU tune on the i8 and an aftermarket exhaust and some suspension tweaks to get rid of the understeer, the i8 could be a lotta fun as a DD..What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I'd do an M6 plus i3 (I have actually considered this) but I think the i8 would be a downgrade in terms of interior quality, packaging and of course power.

The i8 is quite soft which of course you've mentioned talking about working on.

I'd suggest possibly taking another one for a drive with charged batteries.
      07-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

I'd rather get the Tesla model 3 performance over the I8 for a few reasons, but i would probably get an M5 or M8 over both. In regards to EV's you get a lot more power out of the Tesla, the I8 sounds like a lawnmower no matter what you do to the exhaust, and the design for getting in and out of the car is a deal breaker for me. Everyone looks like an idiot getting out of the I8 if you are under 6'2" or so. It looks cool, but BMW needs to up the power and fix the enter/exit design before anything else, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
M8 is on the radar but after 2 to 3 years when it depreciates a bit.
M5 is too family oriented so that's out.

I know bpm sport can ecu time the i8. Yeah the interior and power is definitely
A down grade , but it just looks so frickin cool. Which the Tesla model 3 does NOT.
Dont care how fast it is , it just looks super dull imo.

At sub 60k the i8 is looking like quite the bargain especially w the EV upsides. I am also considering the i3 on the side but it is a bit goofy looking lol
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      07-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
M8 is on the radar but after 2 to 3 years when it depreciates a bit.
M5 is too family oriented so that's out.

I know bpm sport can ecu time the i8. Yeah the interior and power is definitely
A down grade , but it just looks so frickin cool. Which the Tesla model 3 does NOT.
Dont care how fast it is , it just looks super dull imo.

At sub 60k the i8 is looking like quite the bargain especially w the EV upsides. I am also considering the i3 on the side but it is a bit goofy looking lol
Maybe its the area im from ( new england) but the i8 just doesnt do anything for me. Ms are just a different beast... I think you would miss the performance
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

You'll regret it from a performance standpoint. But the i8 has this cool factor to it. Why do you NEED a EV car? I'd rather just get a used i3 for daily commuting. You can get one for like $13k.

Also the battery size in the i8 is useless unless you drive very conservatively.
      07-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

The i8 was all hype when it came but it wound up being a flop
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:29 AM   #8
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
I would just hold onto the M6 for now... EV offering with reasonable price (and looks) is already old technology, but within the next 2-4 years there will be several more high end EVs on offer, so better market to buy.

Can’t fault the i8’s cool looks, but how long is that going to last when every time driving it you feel like you are driving a lawn mower (compared to M6)...
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      07-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Francoandlinda
Rep
Drives: 2012 M6 Convertible

Garage List
My dealer gave me one for the weekend to try. He told me I would hate it. He was right. Soooooo boring to drive. After the novelty wears off, it really is a boring car compared to there M6. Its quiet, lacks balls, is awkward getting in and out of.

My rep knows me so well, he said he wouldn't sell it to me unless I took it for 2 days because Im a good customer and would hate him after 3 months. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
Hey guys, first of all, SUPER happy with my M6. Only have a ECU tune and some codings, suspension adjustments, but otherwise stock. In love with the car. Few gripes I have is that it shoulda had radar cruise control, the HUD unit causes glare, and it really shouda had that robot seat belt thing like the E92 M3, for the price. Other than that, car is just an amazing machine. No hassles, no issues, just runs like a beast. I've tracked it, drove cross country and it shares DD duty alongside my range rover.

I haveeee been looking at I8's on the side, i kind of need an EV in my life; was thinking the i8 would do quite well, looks great, decent performance (nothing like the m6). Anyone have any experience with them? I test drove one, but the stupid dealership didnt have the batts charged, so it was useless.

Interior on the m6 is way better, and ofc more power. Not sure if I would regret swapping the m6 for an i8.. I figured with a ECU tune on the i8 and an aftermarket exhaust and some suspension tweaks to get rid of the understeer, the i8 could be a lotta fun as a DD..What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

The i8 would honestly be a very impractical daily. Plus you don't get HOV sticker if your in California. I owned an i3 and replaced it with a Tesla model 3 LR as my daily. Electric cars are honestly the best commuters.. I would highly recommend the model 3. There are really no compromises over a regular car and their super fast.
Appreciate 0