BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forums > BMW 6-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Talk

02-20-2022, 10:06 PM   #1
mister_tu
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E91

Standard suspension

Hi All,

Previous owner of a 5GT and now looking to get back into a 6GT and really wanting to get the adaptive/dynamic suspension, but they are so hard to come by. Just wondering for those without it - what's the ride quality like? Would you be able to really tell between the two on day-to-day driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

I have a 640i GT on stock suspension and with non-run flats (Conti DWS) running 20" wheels, it rides really well. It's a GT car through and through, so I don't really throw it around the corners - markedly better on the non-RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #3
drnicolson
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT

Ditching run flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
I have a 640i GT on stock suspension and with non-run flats (Conti DWS) running 20" wheels, it rides really well. It's a GT car through and through, so I don't really throw it around the corners - markedly better on the non-RFTs.

Curious when you switched over to the Continentals DWS did you also buy a temporary spare tire? I am thinking of ditching the run flats, very loud and a hard tire. I did the switch out with my 2015 x5d and the ride was so much better and I bought a temp spare. Recently traded in my x5 for 2018 640i GT that has the Michelin run flats and they are loud.

Last edited by drnicolson; 03-21-2022 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnicolson View Post
Curious when you switched over to the Continentals DWS did you also buy a temporary spare tire? I am thinking of ditching the run flats, very loud and a hard tire. I did the switch out with my 2015 x5d and the ride was so much better and I bought a temp spare. Recently traded in my x5 for 2018 640i GT that has the Michelin run flats and they are loud.
I got a portable compressor and a tire plug kit; that in conjunction with AAA membership covers me well enough, based on where and how long we drive.

I think it's easy to get conditioned into thinking we need RFTs (I've had several BMWs with them, so put myself in that camp) when the reality is, lots of cars are out there are without them and they do just fine.

Aside from my work commute, 2-3hrs trips are the norm with the occasional 12hr road trip. If I get a flat, between the plug kit and AAA, I figure we'll be okay.

Make the change - I never saw the point myself until I laid out the cash and I'm a real convert now.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
drnicolson
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT

Thanks, will be switching the tires out to the Conti non RFTs also upgrading the stock stereo and Amp to Audison.
Appreciate 0