BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Smile New Owner Observations, 2013 F13

I've had my M6 for a month now, and although it's primarily a weekend toy, I've made an active commitment to drive it more than the car it's replacing, a 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS550, and prior to that a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive. I don't hold out from driving my cars because I intentionally want to keep the miles low and preserve it, but rather to keep it exciting every time I DO take it out. If I drove my "fun" car everyday I'd be buying another one every 6 months LOL.

Here's some things I've noticed in the couple hundred miles, I'd love to hear from other owners your thoughts on these things:

1. Why on earth, on a sports car like this, are the valves closed even in sport plus under a certain RPM?! I wish there was an independent button for it like on other cars, either open or closed. I plan on rigging them open.

2. My seatbelts are INSANELY stiff, to where I barely have any range of motion while I am wearing it. My salesperson said it's an M Car thing, but I've never sat in another M car to test his theory. There's also a little plastic thingy on my lap portion and I have no idea why it's there, it slides back and forth and is kind of sharp. WTH is it, and can I just cut it off?

3. I'm sure every new M car owner has complained about this but, why does the shutdown procedure have to be so complicated? I know how to use it and it's easy for me, but every time I hand the keys to someone else, I have to give them a crash course on how to shut the car off properly.

4. I'm a Jaguar Land Rover salesman, and I have a couple of PDK Panamera's on my lot right now. God, why can't my BMW DCT feel like that? LOL, it's just a much more seamless transmission, especially at parking lot speeds and maneuvers, it functions much more like an auto than my DCT does.

All in all, I LOVE this thing, and after lusting after an M6 for so long I'm happy I pushed my fears of reliability aside to own this incredible machine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ind_can98.00
      10-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Nice pick up!!
Check out this thread.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657723

Also look in to coding the car with Carly or Bimmercode.

Exhaust is vacuum but you can manually wire the flaps open.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #3
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKC View Post
Nice pick up!!
Check out this thread.

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657723

Also look in to coding the car with Carly or Bimmercode.

Exhaust is vacuum but you can manually wire the flaps open.
Yes I deff want to pick up a Carly, I am going to buy one ASAP. Going to rig the flaps open and see how I like it but most likely going to end up doing a muffler delete. Thanks for the link to that post it was a great read!

I don't have nearly as many gripes with mine though, probably because it will never be a daily driver to me so I don't care that my 2013 CIC iDrive sucks, I hate radar cruise control, and I don't mess with my phone when I drive.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
ind_can
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC ILE

Beautiful car and stunning photos too I must say!
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven463.00
      10-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ind_can View Post
Beautiful car and stunning photos too I must say!
iPhone 13 Pro Max putting in work!
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
1. Why on earth, on a sports car like this, are the valves closed even in sport plus under a certain RPM?! I wish there was an independent button for it like on other cars, either open or closed. I plan on rigging them open.

2. My seatbelts are INSANELY stiff, to where I barely have any range of motion while I am wearing it. My salesperson said it's an M Car thing, but I've never sat in another M car to test his theory. There's also a little plastic thingy on my lap portion and I have no idea why it's there, it slides back and forth and is kind of sharp. WTH is it, and can I just cut it off?

3. I'm sure every new M car owner has complained about this but, why does the shutdown procedure have to be so complicated? I know how to use it and it's easy for me, but every time I hand the keys to someone else, I have to give them a crash course on how to shut the car off properly.

4. I'm a Jaguar Land Rover salesman, and I have a couple of PDK Panamera's on my lot right now. God, why can't my BMW DCT feel like that? LOL, it's just a much more seamless transmission, especially at parking lot speeds and maneuvers, it functions much more like an auto than my DCT does.

All in all, I LOVE this thing, and after lusting after an M6 for so long I'm happy I pushed my fears of reliability aside to own this incredible machine.
1) I'd recommend just clamping them open like everyone else does — takes about 5 minutes to do and there's no drone, but it's also not going to make the car 'loud' either. These cars are just inherently quiet no matter what you do. Keep in mind that these cars are not exactly positioned as sports cars given that it's a ~4,300lb vehicle — these are built and engineered to do 200mph on the autobahn while delivering ultimate comfort and luxury in the process. There are far sportier cars (supercars even) in the market that also implement the same rpm thresholds before the valves open. While us enthusiast-minded owners would prefer all the sound all the time — the average buyer for these cars when new are generally older people who can afford a $130k+ vehicle off the showroom floor, so that's something to consider too

2) I'd look into this more as this doesn't seem normal to me, as in I've never noticed my seatbelt feeling particularly stiff — unless you're referring to the initial hug it gives you when you drive off. I think that plastic piece is meant to function as some sort of wedge for the buckle to back into in order for it to stay at the same length all the time but I've never used it, I've just left it alone but I'm sure there's no harm in cutting it off

3) The shutdown procedure is actually the opposite of complex in my opinion — all you have to do is just hit the button and it puts itself in park, although I do use the electronic parking brake as well but that's discretionary. To your point though it is still different than normal with no 'P' on the gear selector and it does throw people for a loop that haven't driven a DCT-equipped BMW before when they're trying to park.

4) I worked for Porsche for 3 years and actually find that the DCT is every bit as capable as the PDK given the application. Comparing apples to apples, I actually prefer the 7 speed DCT in the M6 to the 8 speed PDK in the new Panamera's as far as crisp-ness and responsiveness. The 8 speed in the Porsche's may be more manageable at low speeds, but I never felt it was as snappy or fun to use even in the Turbo models. The occasional 1st gear lurches with the DCT are a welcome trade off when I consider how fun it is through the gears beyond. I also really appreciate the ability to adjust the shifting behavior in the M to have it essentially feel like a normal auto as far as smoothness in Drivelogic 1 (even in manual mode) and also have snappy, quick changes in Drivelogic 3. The Panamera's 8 speed feels closest to the DCT's Drivelogic 2 setting in my opinion which is a good middleground, but you also can't adjust the shifting behavior in those cars and you just don't get that extra performance feel that the DCT gives you in Drivelogic 3 manual mode. The DCT does a great job at offering a more 'connected' experience than other automatic transmissions, and I think it delivers on that very well

Last edited by LJohnson32; 10-04-2021 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 2