BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

Strange oil temp. behavior

Hello all,
Hoping to get some insights for the members here. Just two days ago I took the car out to drive. I noticed the oil temperature took extremely long to get up to normal. Normal for me is just past the quarter mark. But when it did start moving up it would fluctuate up and down slowly. It would then reach its' normal temperature then hold and would slightly dip down again and back up. It so far has not gone past normal or over heated. I am running a thicker grade oil and am aware that it already takes some time to get it up to operating temps, but this is unusually longer. Is this omen of something going wrong such as the thermostat going out or something else. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
There can be several reasons for the temperature fluctuation (indication).
a) It can be the oil thermostat
b) It can be a faulty temperature sensor
c) It can be a cooling problem.
Since the M cars show only oil temperature on the cluster, you will should have a look at the engine cooling system and temperature. I think you can access the coolant temperature via the "secret" menu. I would check that first before you start digging into the engine. Engine temperature variation can result in a lower viscosity and a higher temperature of the oil.
Check for obstruction of the air flow to the oil cooler as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

Arucano,
What is normal vaule for the cooling temperature?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Arucano,
What is normal vaule for the cooling temperature?
Depends on the oil you use but I would say ~200F in Sport Plus, ~225 in Efficient.

When you say that the temp fluctuates, are we talking about a needle width or two, or bigger swings? If it's the former, I consider that to be normal behavior. Small fluctuations ~5 degrees either direction isn't necessarily something I would consider to be cause for concern
      05-16-2023, 10:00 PM   #5
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Hello all,
Hoping to get some insights for the members here. Just two days ago I took the car out to drive. I noticed the oil temperature took extremely long to get up to normal. Normal for me is just past the quarter mark. But when it did start moving up it would fluctuate up and down slowly. It would then reach its' normal temperature then hold and would slightly dip down again and back up. It so far has not gone past normal or over heated. I am running a thicker grade oil and am aware that it already takes some time to get it up to operating temps, but this is unusually longer. Is this omen of something going wrong such as the thermostat going out or something else. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Did you ever find out the issue or if it's normal?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 01:38 AM   #6
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
I very seldom see over 200F even on very "toasty" Texas days. Oil needs to get to 212F and above to flash off moister. This especially critical for cold weather driving. A milky color on your oil filler cap indicates that the oil is not getting up to temperature long enough to flash off the moister. I think the oil temperature is measured after the thermostat and oil cooler so the sump temperature is higher than the indicated temperature but I am not 100% sure. Memory is failing me on the last part.
Appreciate 0