BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #45
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Engineering undergrad. Engineering Management Masters. I’ve lived in 4 different countries on 3 different continents. Starting salary after college was decent, but not mind blowing. The Masters really helped advance it. I’ve quadrupled my starting salary over 16 years. Good career progress so far. Totally worth it.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12-14-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #46
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I was lured out of college after two years with a job offer in my major, ironically by another college. I was sooooooo freaking bored with classes in my major while in school, and actually wound up teaching the professors their own course materials because I knew more about computer science at the time than they did. Long story short, I just received my 35-year service award. Had a blast building the information superhighway and watching computers evolve, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The only thing that I regret is not finishing my degree at the beginning...especially when it is 100% free for employees. I cannot sit through classes or even presentations any more, which is a side effect of working behind the scenes for my entire professional career.

ily-weighted metrics that the feds use when ranking schools is the average employment-in-major and annual salary at certain time periods after graduation. Most private schools have awesome career centers for alumni, who have incentives because of this to find employment for every graduate (and keep finding them when necessary). Alumni get lifetime resume-writing assistance, job referrals in our region, and even invitation to alumni networking events where someone can often find a connection with another alum at a desired employer.....

Dude, private schools? Those schools that you leave with $150k of debt instead of $45k with? Well, I sure as hell would hope they would help. I am strictly talking state schools here.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #47
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Dude, private schools?

soo interesting fact, private schools give way more non merit based scholarships then state. If a kid wants to go, apply, you may be surprised. (Son got $20k/year in "leadership" monies...he had no leadership on app. lol)

Friends kid applied to U of Conn (they lived there) and Cornell. His per year cost ended up $1K less at Cornell.

We've seen it here with U of Richmond, which is god awful expensive. Kids getting 60% off etc. non need based.

they all have quotas, private are more stringent (wife worked for private company that ran national/private scholarships)
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      12-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #48
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

The world is changing quickly and I would not pigeonhole myself into a sales job with no degree in my early 20's in the 21st century. Dealerships used to be a great way to make money but pay plans have changed with the corporate takeover of most family owned stores and customers walk in armed with tons of information. F&I and Sales Managers generally put in a lot of hours, something to keep in mind if you want to move up the chain.

A degree isn't everything but it certainly helps open doors periodically through one's career. The hiring manager for the entry level position I took after I graduated used degree/lack of degree as a filter on the applications he received. That same company would not promote a qualified internal candidate from VP to SVP until she spent a year finishing up the last few credits of her Bachelor's degree. Your mileage my vary, but I work for a company that company does not particularly value on-paper education so I imagine the lack of degree is even more of a hindrance at other firms.

My vote would be to continue at the community college and transfer to an affordable 4 year. Knock out your degree but don't pile up debt doing it. You'll stay afloat financially and buy yourself time to figure out what you want to do. Always and especially in the current economy a blend of relevant experience and education is your best ticket to landing your next position. FWIW, a lot of the "technical" jobs you called out tend to be on call or are on speed-dial the minute something breaks.

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
Mosaud19983940.50
vreihen1615280.00
      12-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #49
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

A few things -

1. Absolutely go for it, it will pay off in the long run since you are choosing a technical path with a high ROI potential.

2. Absolutely start at community college and not just for your GE classes - start the technical foundation there as well if you can, even if you have to retake classes a few times.

3. Go for the absolutely hardest most technical path you can - electrical engineering, software engineering, or computer science. They will include the data analytics courses are part of one of several paths towards the degree, but basically later on if you decide you don't want to push that hard at work it is much easier to land a non-technical job with a highly technical background than the reverse (landing a technical job with a non-technical - or not-as-technical - background).

4. Good luck. And don't forget internships, they're crucial.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615280.00
Mosaud19983940.50
haagm58809.50
Germanauto9702.50
      12-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #50
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
We've seen it here with U of Richmond, which is god awful expensive. Kids getting 60% off etc. non need based.
If I recall correctly, the national average tuition discount at private schools for Fall, 2020 was 58%. It was hanging just below 50% for a few years, and finally broke out this year because COVID.

Schools are starting to move away from the sticker shock minus huge discounts tuition strategy, because many first-generation students rule out private schools based only on their sticker price because they don't know about the huge discounts.

No, you don't even need to pretend that you are a rowing/crew athlete.....
      12-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #51
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

To add something more on this topic. Per my post here, I did not go to college to study IT. Yet, it's been my main career path. The degree might have spring boarded my IT career as the hiring manager for my first career job in IT mentioned my degree and the school. Was it the primary factor? I don't think so. Did it help? Maybe. But I can say many people that are good in IT are those that have a deep interest in it. And as a result do some of the extras to be successful.

I've run into quite a few individuals in my time that have gone as far as setting up their own home labs to practice their skills and learn new ones. I fall into this camp. And I can honestly say much or my expertise was self taught.

The interviews I've had over the past few years never mentioned my degree. They were more interested in my experience.

And on another note, I see a few people discounting sales. I used to hate salespeople. Now I'm one of them albeit on the technical side. Don't underestimate the experience you're getting being a salesman. I can say I've made the most money ever in my career working sales. Along with the money comes perks if you move into IT sales. All the companies I've seen allow their sales staff to work from home. So you control your schedule as long as you're productive. Travel/driving to see clients are all covered by the company which includes air fare/transportation, hotel, mileage (even local), parking (even local), and tolls (even local). I've seen mediocre IT sales people (technical wise) bring in bank because they have awesome sales skills. I ran across someone that put things in perspective about selling. Everyone is a sales person. When you meet someone for the first time, you're selling yourself to that person. When you are looking to get a certain action or response from someone, you're selling your position. When I looked at life from this perspective, it really changed how I approach life in general and I feel I'm better off now.
Appreciate 6
Mosaud19983940.50
haagm58809.50
M_Six16963.50
rebekahb3132.50
Fined243.00
      12-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #52
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
To add something more on this topic. Per my post here, I did not go to college to study IT. Yet, it's been my main career path. The degree might have spring boarded my IT career as the hiring manager for my first career job in IT mentioned my degree and the school. Was it the primary factor? I don't think so. Did it help? Maybe. But I can say many people that are good in IT are those that have a deep interest in it. And as a result do some of the extras to be successful.

I've run into quite a few individuals in my time that have gone as far as setting up their own home labs to practice their skills and learn new ones. I fall into this camp. And I can honestly say much or my expertise was self taught.

The interviews I've had over the past few years never mentioned my degree. They were more interested in my experience.
This applies to my situation exactly. My undergrad degree is geology. I'm self-taught and have a decent home network, VPN, firewall, and media server and I'm constantly playing around with new stuff to make the whole system better. These days I'm supporting faculty who use technology to teach online classes, but it's my breadth of experience with most IT facets that helps me help them.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
vreihen1615280.00
      12-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #53
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get a college degree (in something practical). End of story. If you don’t you’ll always regret it. I got a bachelor’s in accounting and made peanuts, so I had to get my CPA to compete. My income has increased $150k since getting my CPA. Bachelors is the entry point. Don’t buy into the hype that “you don’t need a degree” anymore. It’s quite the opposite.

It’s a small expense and time investment during the course of your life.
Appreciate 3
Mosaud19983940.50
Germanauto9702.50
      12-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #54
longm1985
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi

Went to college for Criminal Justice. I've used that degree in only a few limited situations: getting out of tickets lol

If you don't want a degree, trades are a solid bet if you enjoy working with your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I hate when my d*ck flies out of my pants under hard braking, so I think the seats are great.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #55
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

i got my BS and MS in computer engineering. i now work as an engineer, but nothing related to my studies.

yes, it was worth it.
"I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that." -POTUS
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #56
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Yes was worth it. And both my boys went. Key is only to go if you are going to bust your ass to learn all you can. It’s not a 4 year party to avoid the real world.

I got lucky and after seeing my friends throw away $$ on college I did it differently with my boys. They took loans out for school. As long as they did A- or better I pay. Anything less they pay. I paid the whole thing for both and it hurt like heck but they both had some fun , got a great education and they are both have excellent jobs with great futures in those Indistries.

You get out of college what you put into college. You need to compete for those grades just like to need to compete for Jobs, customers and women ! Nothing worthwhile is easy.

I’d suggest you get a good handle on what you are interested in doing before going to college so you don’t waste time taking the wrong courses. See a private college advisor to help you look for scholar money and to help you find programs that dovetail with you interests. I’d also recommend a healthy dose of liberal arts along with you major course load.

Senior year my oldest took a wine appreciation course. Said he thought it was going to be BS but it’s one of the hardest classes. You need to know weather, biology and geography to pass.
It helps him impress his clients at dinner now when the 25 year old has an intelligent convo with the Sommelier. lol.

My younger opted to take Golf senior year. Same result. He is on the course with clients and holding his own at 23 years old.

Get your self set for sucess and work your Butt off in college. Join a lot of clubs to build a networks for like minded people. This will be helpful in the real world later. All of this hard work, networking and experience is good practice for the real world.

Good Luck and wear sunscreen !
Appreciate 2
Mosaud19983940.50
vreihen1615280.00
      12-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #57
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

A College Education is not just about the degree and potential jobs, it is the process of learning, thinking and solving problems. Then you factor in the emotional and social development one goes through and how it brings you from a young person to an adult.

I did not have the opportunity to finish my education and it's one of my greatest regrets. You can be successful in your job but a degree will give you more opportunities in life. The direction our country is going in now, there will be chances to be reimbursed for tuition or greatly reduced. Do it while you are single and have few bills or you'll never do it.
Noneya251.50
Darth One6612.50
      12-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #58
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
A College Education is not just about the degree and potential jobs, it is the process of learning, thinking and solving problems. Then you factor in the emotional and social development one goes through and how it brings you from a young person to an adult.

I did not have the opportunity to finish my education and it's one of my greatest regrets. You can be successful in your job but a degree will give you more opportunities in life. The direction our country is going in now, there will be chances to be reimbursed for tuition or greatly reduced. Do it while you are single and have few bills or you'll never do it.
+1

My brother went to law school and currently finishing his PhD. He works in a tech startup. He says that 3 years in law school showed him how to think and analyze things. He never intended to practice law.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #59
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

For me, college was one of those things that I needed to check off my list before employers would give me the time of day. Nothing I learned from college was useful because in the tech sector, everything's outdated by the time I graduate. I just needed the piece of paper.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #60
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Absolutely worth it if you do a proper degree. Very little I learned in undergrad classes were relevant to my profession, but it laid the groundwork for me to go to grad school and beyond. In a lot of other careers the courses are more relevant.

Over the past couple decades traditionally "middle class jobs" that one could have without a college degree have evaporated, either by outsourcing and/or automation. As a result to earn a decent living one has to go into STEM/Finance type professions attainable only through college AND pursuing advanced degrees beyond that.

Last edited by Germanauto; 12-15-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #61
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Highschool drop out here. I started in retail sales but then moved to telecom and made 75k take home in sales. Also won top sales company wide. But I was determined and loved the job. Saw friends go through school, crippling debt and financial struggles for a career that didn't pay more than just the bills.

At the end of the day, who do you want to work for? because looking at the jobs these people offer will give you an insight on the future they offer.
Or do you want to work for yourself?
Theres alot of freedoms involved with being your own boss too. My spouse works as a contractor, but he's always been able to set his hours, or work on his own. So that's another avenue to check out
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #62
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Biochem degree, which I never used once.

But I was able to land multiple jobs with a degree that is unrelated to the field.
I did Biochem too. It always seemed like that degree is really just a conduit to go to med school or dental school. I'm glad to hear it opened other doors for you. I'd imagine consulting, pharma etc are opportunities.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #63
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
I went to college back when college was a place where smart kids like me got to hone their intellects to a fine edge, so that they could then apply them to real-world problems.

Nowadays college is the very opposite of that. It's a cesspool of moral relativism, Post-Modern indoctrination, and the complete rejection of the very notion of truth.

I no longer hire college graduates - ever - unless a particular candidate presents him/herself as a compelling exception. I run a company which produces software, which is nothing more than building useful and well-thought-out things out of logical Lego blocks, with rigorous attention to detail and business logic. I need people with clear heads who accept no dogma and question everything. The notion that "We do things this way, because this is the way we do things" is an abomination in our business model.

University graduates are generally ill-suited to our operations. They've been indoctrinated to conform. I have zero respect for someone who thinks they should conform to my ideas merely because I'm the boss. Someone who's got balls enough to say to me "Yeah, well that's a horseshit idea because..." instantly has my attention.
vreihen1615280.00
zx10guy5149.50
Bunnny219.50
jmack548.50
      12-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #64
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I went to college back when college was a place where smart kids like me got to hone their intellects to a fine edge, so that they could then apply them to real-world problems.

Nowadays college is the very opposite of that. It's a cesspool of moral relativism, Post-Modern indoctrination, and the complete rejection of the very notion of truth.

I no longer hire college graduates - ever - unless a particular candidate presents him/herself as a compelling exception. I run a company which produces software, which is nothing more than building useful and well-thought-out things out of logical Lego blocks, with rigorous attention to detail and business logic. I need people with clear heads who accept no dogma and question everything. The notion that "We do things this way, because this is the way we do things" is an abomination in our business model.

University graduates are generally ill-suited to our operations. They've been indoctrinated to conform. I have zero respect for someone who thinks they should conform to my ideas merely because I'm the boss. Someone who's got balls enough to say to me "Yeah, well that's a horseshit idea because..." instantly has my attention.
I take it you also yell at kids who get on your lawn.

I interview around 50 college kids per year, and while most fail, the ones that don't have undoubtedly learned their skills in school (plus of course independent experimentation and usage of those skills). Is it possible to learn same skills outside of school - absolutely, but it's just not something that I ever see.

That said usefulness of college for future jobs is obviously degree dependent.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #65
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I loved college, wouldn't trade that time for anything.
Mine was all expense paid, so my part time job was money i used to play with. Lots of lacrosse, surfing, coachella's and even some studying .
My wife paid for hers, and then got her mba her work paid for most of her masters. She would also say to get your degree.

Kids from all over the world come here to go to our incredible universities. I'd say go, but also start your own business while you are there, be creative and hustle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #66
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
I'm happy to share my experience.

I went to college only because my chosen career path required a degree. I don't think my job needs a degree. Hell, I don't think most jobs need a college degree.

The college degree is over-rated. Unless your chosen career path absolutely needs a college education, such as a doctor, lawyer, or nuclear scientist, you are better off working more and going to school less.
Appreciate 4
Mosaud19983940.50
zx10guy5149.50
Fined243.00