BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #23
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
I had the exactly same warning pop up 2 weeks ago, scared me half to death....
out of the blue this happened to me. I pulled out to over take, put my foot down and the car misfired and didn't accelerate like it normally would. Then that message came up, it did say I could continue but with reduced performance. I immediately pulled over stopped the car and then restarted and it idled ok but I could tell it wasn't 'happy'. I drove home and the next day dropped the car to my dealership. I did note the car was running not at its usual urgency.... my dealership couldn't have been more helpful. They told me cylinder 5 had misfired recorded and limp mode was initiated. Upon investigation the team found all 8 plugs were heavily fouled and there was a split in cross over vent pipe they showed me this ( it was as per Walts pick ) . The changed the plugs and this pipe and the car back up and running again perfectly! The bill was fairly hefty for some plugs and rubber hose but hey... I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious like injectors etc etc. They told me i don't drive the car enough and to take it on longer drives to let it get up to temperatures. these car don't like short stop start driving that much.

glad your 6er is up and running again fine now.
Mine was driven 16 hours out of 30 during weekend and ended with dead hpfp. But all those hours it was cruising at 80-90 mph without pulls.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #24
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ended with a used injector, 8 new sparks, 2 new coils, 4 hrs labor.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #25
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

That solution sounds like a standard repair for this motor. Don't know how many miles you have, but BMW's eat coils and spark plugs. 50-60,000 miles is a good replacement point. Might want to stock up on 6 more coils, of identical brand to the ones you replaced with. The spark plugs was a good move.

I believe there is an extended warranty on the injectors for some motors, but I will let someone else chime in.

Glad you got it sorted out.

L
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #26
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

After driving around town low speed, we are taking a 5hr highway trip this weekend. After reading the above, I hope my plugs and injectors behave. I have 37K mi. and already have had one DTM requiring a new plug and one new injector. I hate that you plan a trip and wonder if the car will make it like some 20yr old 100K mile Chevy
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #27
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

There is a lot to be said about preventative maintenance. Plugs and coils being an obvious one. It is a super easy DIY and hardly expensive (especially when compared to dealer pricing).

L
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #28
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
There is a lot to be said about preventative maintenance. Plugs and coils being an obvious one. It is a super easy DIY and hardly expensive (especially when compared to dealer pricing).

L
Frankly speaking, this engine has much less things to do as preventative maintenance, as for me.
N55 has inlets, bov, charge pipe, fmic, intakes, coils, sparks. And n63 just coils and sparks.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00