BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
ep3
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i and 14 M6

Brake Squeak?

Anyone have issues with this? Basically, I am getting some noise out of the rear calipers when applying the parking brake and while driving. As you may or may not know, this car comes with two "options" Brake Standby and Brake drying. So, it's always adjusting the pads onto the rotor and preparing for hard braking scenarios and/or keeping the rotors dry during rainy conditions.

It's not pad on rotor noise, but sounds like the caliper actuating to me. All 4 were replaced by BWM under warranty due to them breaking off a caliper nut accidentally during a brake service. Ever since I had it returned, it's been making a squeaking noise when parking and when driving. After bringing it back in, I was told this now new noise is normal and there's nothing they can do unless I want to pay for them diagnosing it. It's a little annoying to be told that when there wasn't an issue before I brought it in.

Both noises are the same, so that leads me to believe that the issue is with the caliper and not the parking brake actuator. The noise is also not happening due to the car rolling back after applying the brake.

Last edited by ep3; 07-11-2019 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3 View Post
Anyone have issues with this? Basically, I am getting some noise out of the rear calipers when applying the parking brake and while driving. As you may or may not know, this car comes with two "options" Brake Standby and Brake drying. So, it's always adjusting the pads onto the rotor and preparing for hard braking scenarios and/or keeping the rotors dry during rainy conditions.

It's not pad on rotor noise, but sounds like the caliper actuating to me. All 4 were replaced by BWM under warranty due to them breaking off a caliper nut accidentally during a brake service. Ever since I had it returned, it's been making a squeaking noise when parking and when driving. After bringing it back in, I was told this now new noise is normal and there's nothing they can do unless I want to pay for them diagnosing it. It's a little annoying to be told that when there wasn't an issue before I brought it in.

Both noises are the same, so that leads me to believe that the issue is with the caliper and not the parking brake actuator. The noise is also not happening due to the car rolling back after applying the brake.

Video Here of Said Noise
Dude ,you know what that is? lol! When you shut the engine off the car loses vacuum,its your exhaust valves closing,set a camera on a tripod into the exhaust see if it makes the noise when the valves close
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
ep3
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i and 14 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Dude ,you know what that is? lol! When you shut the engine off the car loses vacuum,its your exhaust valves closing,set a camera on a tripod into the exhaust see if it makes the noise when the valves close
You know, I didn't even think about it. At one point I was wondering if it was maybe the suspension unloading or something ( since I usually just park in sport plus) . But...Why would I hear that same noise while driving though? especially not WOT. I'm just going to code the exhaust flap out tomorrow and see. Thanks for the heads up. haha
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:35 AM   #4
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
my rear brake squeak also, and dealer said its normal for M car...
      07-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

Lol I always wondered about that noise
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep3 View Post
You know, I didn't even think about it. At one point I was wondering if it was maybe the suspension unloading or something ( since I usually just park in sport plus) . But...Why would I hear that same noise while driving though? especially not WOT. I'm just going to code the exhaust flap out tomorrow and see. Thanks for the heads up. haha
I can guarantee it’s that because when I changed my exhaust the noise it gone, When I first got the car I thought it was suspension also ,that’s funny 😁
Appreciate 0