BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-27-2023, 07:43 AM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Do you have an opinion on botox?

My wife's friend has her own dental practice and has offered to give my wife botox for free. I have zero experience in this dept but I reckon some of you have wives who do. Is there anything to be concerned about, besides of course doing a terrible job? Does it just wear off after 3 months, no harm no foul?

And I need to add to the "how do you know your getting older thread:" "when the women your age are all getting botox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113229.00
      02-27-2023, 07:47 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i would not have a dentist injecting botox.

possible areas for you could be your crows feet

fillers everywhere else if you care
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 08:24 AM   #3
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i would not have a dentist injecting botox.

possible areas for you could be your crows feet

fillers everywhere else if you care
Botox is very easy to inject, and dentists are very well educated on the nerves of the head and neck. I provide Botox for my patients, and all of them have said that my technique for injecting is so much better than the med spas and physicians that they have gone too in the past. My wife likes to go to our dermatologist friend's office, each time she comes home from her injections it looks like they beat the living cr@p out of her. I tell her she deserves to be black and blue for a week when I know I can administer the Botox better.

As for fillers, there are too many risks that I don't feel comfortable providing that service.

For the OP, let her get it done. If she likes it that's all that matters. And for free is even better.
wrickem2101.00
      02-27-2023, 10:14 AM   #4
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
It's just an unnecessary beauty scam to sucker shallow women into being a customer for life. First time free has been the way to lure them in, if they like it then they will be back every few months getting it redone, cause its not permanent changes. There are many people that DIY the injections at home.
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

A non-necessary medical procedure for wrinkles? Good grief.

From the Botox website

Quote:
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION & APPROVED USES
BOTOX® Cosmetic may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. Get medical help right away if you have any of these problems any time (hours to weeks) after injection of BOTOX® Cosmetic :
Problems swallowing, speaking, or breathing, due to weakening of associated muscles, can be severe and result in loss of life. You are at the highest risk if these problems are pre-existing before injection. Swallowing problems may last for several months.
Spread of toxin effects. The effect of botulinum toxin may affect areas away from the injection site and cause serious symptoms including: loss of strength and all-over muscle weakness, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids, hoarseness or change or loss of voice, trouble saying words clearly, loss of bladder control, trouble breathing, and trouble swallowing.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

We all age - face it [pun intended] with dignity and grace.

I love my wife the way she is - genuine and authentic, wrinkles and all.

About botulinum toxin injections, see for example:
  • "Botox leads to bad reactions for one in six users, says study - Doctors fear that the side-effects of the treatment are being hugely under-reported" (2021) (source: here);
  • "Complications of facial cosmetic botulinum toxin A injection: Analysis of the UK Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency registry and literature review" (2021) (source: here and here);
  • "The whole truth about botulinum toxin – a review" (2019) (source: here).
DocL1927.00
antgenn319.00
      02-27-2023, 12:23 PM   #7
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

I strongly discourage it. We are not doing it at our clinic and we don't provide referrals as well.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4475.50
sygazelle11327.00
      02-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Don't know anything about it, but if my gf wanted to get it my recommendation would be hell no! It starts with a little botox for a wrinkle and before you know it you're one of those aliens that live in Boca who seem to have eaten all the old ladies there.

I'm glad I'm not a woman.
Appreciate 4
Buug95917117.00
DocL1927.00
RickFLM410951.50
Soul_Glo13342.00
      02-27-2023, 04:20 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Botox is very easy to inject, and dentists are very well educated on the nerves of the head and neck. I provide Botox for my patients, and all of them have said that my technique for injecting is so much better than the med spas and physicians that they have gone too in the past. My wife likes to go to our dermatologist friend's office, each time she comes home from her injections it looks like they beat the living cr@p out of her. I tell her she deserves to be black and blue for a week when I know I can administer the Botox better.
As for fillers, there are too many risks that I don't feel comfortable providing that service.
For the OP, let her get it done. If she likes it that's all that matters. And for free is even better.
I assume that you also took care of having proper and sufficient insurance as protection against potential expensive claims if someday a treatment ends in tears.

Even if you'd get off the hook in the end (cleared of any wrongdoing), enduring a professional malpractice lawsuit can be tormenting, cash draining and cause reputational loss.

Don't assume - do get confirmed in writing from your insurer that any such claim is covered, as well as the possible quantum of damages and legal costs. For, regret is belated common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
My wife's friend has her own dental practice and has offered to give my wife botox for free.
Name:  FreeLunch.jpeg
Views: 1396
Size:  49.0 KB
      02-27-2023, 04:43 PM   #10
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Not so fast...

"The popularity of Botox is on the rise for men"

Some factors that may be contributing to the increased popularity of Botox among men include:

Workplace competitiveness. Many men report being motivated to get Botox to maintain their competitiveness against their younger co-workers. Many people feel that keeping a youthful appearance helps them fight against ageism in the workplace.

Social media. The rise of social media and online dating apps may also be a motivating factor for some men who want to look their best for their online profiles.

Encouragement from significant other. Some men may be motivated to get cosmetic procedures for their significant other.

~ Healthline.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 05:19 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Not so fast...

"On the rise" means nothing when over 90% of users are female.

I get it, it's their deal to look good, they've all been faking it for years with makeup, so what's a little injection? But don't put men in there with any significant numbers, unless you're talking about the men today that aren't really men.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2023, 05:33 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Not so fast...

Some factors that may be contributing to the increased popularity of Botox among men include:

Workplace competitiveness. Many men report being motivated to get Botox to maintain their competitiveness against their younger co-workers. Many people feel that keeping a youthful appearance helps them fight against ageism in the workplace.

Social media. The rise of social media and online dating apps may also be a motivating factor for some men who want to look their best for their online profiles.

Encouragement from significant other. Some men may be motivated to get cosmetic procedures for their significant other.

~ Healthline.
Fine.

I'm glad I have no coworkers, use social media or have a significant other who's motivated by looks.
Appreciate 3
Buug95917117.00
wrickem2101.00
      02-27-2023, 06:25 PM   #13
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Don't know anything about it, but if my gf wanted to get it my recommendation would be hell no! It starts with a little botox for a wrinkle and before you know it you're one of those aliens that live in Boca who seem to have eaten all the old ladies there.

You nailed it. My practice is in Boca, but I don't advertise that I offer Botox. That's for the Groupon bottom-feeders. However when I finish a nice cosmetic case, it's always nice to be able to soften up the bunny lines, crows feet, etc. I hate the lips that looks like balloons lol. The other balloons are okay .
      02-27-2023, 06:31 PM   #14
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

guys the aethetics world is so fucked.

every girl walking around with fillers with that fucking pout

men getting fillers in there jaw

might as well start taking testosterone.
Appreciate 2
rebekahb3130.00
      02-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep

In France the Bogdanoff twins used to be popular in the late 70s and 80s. They used to have their own TV show, appealing to a young public. However, their physical appearance changed significantly over time. They both died of COVID-19 during the pandemic.

Not posting this to make fun of them (it's tragic - with due respect: may they rest in peace), but to illustrate how two physically non-disfigured brothers disfigured themselves. They denied having undergone plastic surgery.

Earlier:
Name:  Bogdanoff_Bros_Earlier_1.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  Bogdanoff_Bros_Earlier_2.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  388.6 KB

Later:
Name:  Bogdanoff_Bros_Later.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  Bogdanoff_Bros_Later_2.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  129.2 KB
      02-27-2023, 09:19 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Ya, it's a hard no from me. Just be graceful, we are all gonna die, why look like some smooth-faced lizard, so nasty, the eye area and neck are still dead giveaways but even if they can work on the whole body to turn a 70 yr old into a 20, that's just too weird.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 10:12 PM   #17
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
guys the aethetics world is so fucked.

every girl walking around with fillers with that fucking pout

men getting fillers in there jaw

might as well start taking testosterone.

I agree with this. The introduction of filters is ruining society. My friends daughter started getting filler in her lips at 19!!! WTF?!?

I could also post a few pics of friends who have started changing the shape of their face and not really for the better due to filler.

In regards to the T, this is becoming a secondary cash business for a few providers I know. The scary part is one of them took an online course and thinks he is knowledgeable enough. He calls to see how I can be a resource of more info to help him. I’m sorry but there is a lot more to hormones and the body than a few hour online course can educate you. My friend works in an aesthetic clinic as a provider. They wanted her to take a few hour course for women’s hormones so she could start prescribing pellets. Once again, cash business. I told her she shouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. Other than NICU and primary care she has zero knowledge of hormones.

All this bs makes me think about the rage nightmare of semaglutide.

People need to really examine what is going on inside their mind along with what type of foods they fill their body with. If people would take the time to really work on these two things they would find much more peace and happiness with who they are as a person.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 03:18 AM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
this is becoming a secondary cash business for a few providers I know. The scary part is one of them took an online course and thinks he is knowledgeable enough. [...]
People need to really examine what is going on inside their mind along with what type of foods they fill their body with. If people would take the time to really work on these two things they would find much more peace and happiness with who they are as a person.
All got access to the Internet, so "botched botox" and "failed fillers" are just a few Google clicks away. A quick look may help cooling the intial enthusiasm for this kind of redundant interventions.

"But all those failures are exceptional" - well, you can exclude the risk to become one too. Let no-one lecture you that you're a failure without this.
      02-28-2023, 05:57 AM   #19
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I assume that you also took care of having proper and sufficient insurance as protection against potential expensive claims if someday a treatment ends in tears.

Even if you'd get off the hook in the end (cleared of any wrongdoing), enduring a professional malpractice lawsuit can be tormenting, cash draining and cause reputational loss.

Don't assume - do get confirmed in writing from your insurer that any such claim is covered, as well as the possible quantum of damages and legal costs. For, regret is belated common sense.

Attachment 3116921
It sounds like you don't think that I am qualified to provide Botox to my patients? What is the rationale?

I am fully covered by my malpractice insurance, otherwise I would never inject even one unit.

I don't have signs in my office, and don't market Botox. I usually only offer it after providing a large reconstruction case. I also administer it for people who have a hypermobile upper lip, and for TMD facial pain.

Thanks for your concern.
rebekahb3130.00
Artemis29255.50
      02-28-2023, 11:06 AM   #20
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

I got Botox in my Butt-Muscle to relax that MF. Did not work.
I guess, it’s not what you were asking 😁
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #21
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Age gracefully ladies and gentlemen.

Those things are a gateway to other small fixes for natural things. Before you know it, you'll turn into a disgusting mutant:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 12:07 PM   #22
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
I strongly discourage it. We are not doing it at our clinic and we don't provide referrals as well.
I refer patients to neurology for necessary medical botox. (Torticollis, severe Migraine, and dystonic dysphonia)

The SH** that they go through and the side effects make me wonder why the HE** anybody would consider it for appearance sake.

I would not.

Shawn
Appreciate 0