BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6GC, X5M, M3, X7, X5

Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser Options

Looking to swap out the stock rear diffuser on my Frozen White M6 Gran Coupe.

I like the look of the JL/M0dBargains DTM diffuser that replaces both rear pieces, with CF above the exhaust tips, but I'm concerned it might be a little too conservative - only two small fins, overall size very close to or maybe smaller than stock? M0dbargains has a pic on a white M6, but I wasn't able to link to it for some reason?

http://www.jl-motoring.com/BMW_F06_F...p/bmdi1321.htm

I also like the finished look of the Vorsteiner style that goes under the exhaust with side pieces, but I'm concerned it may be a little too aggressive with the large fins. From the pics, I think fins about an inch or so shorter would suit my taste. My opinion might change if I saw it in person.

Is there any difference in the replicas sold by JL, RW Carbon, Ebay, others?

http://www.jl-motoring.com/BMW_F06_F...p/bmdi1325.htm

Interested in any feedback, experience or suggestions you guys have, with these or other parts.

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

My comprehension is that for a diffuser to be truly functional, rather than just aesthetic, the fins need to be large and pronounced enough to successfully and adequately create channels for the wind to 'tunnel'. Too short, and they create turbulence too close to the car and are not effective.

Now, if you're going to ask me what those dimensions are, I haven't a clue. Perhaps someone here can chime in with some parameters by which to determine if any given model is worthwhile as a diffuser, rather than just decoration.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #3
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

I have purchased from JL Motoring many times.
You get what you pay for. As in, they make good products but may not be 100% best fitment.
For the M6 I prefer the Vorsteiner rear but it is pricy and with perfect fitment
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
You get what you pay for. As in, they make good products but may not be 100% best fitment.
For the M6 I prefer the Vorsteiner rear but it is pricy and with perfect fitment
Thanks for your feedback. How difficult is the Vorsteiner installation? Does it use the three forward/center stock mounting holes?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM6 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. How difficult is the Vorsteiner installation? Does it use the three forward/center stock mounting holes?
Fairly easy, uses 3 oem mounting holes in center, 4 oem mounts on outside edge bumper and two inner mounts to stock diffuser. Only problem is securing center top section of diffuser, need to use strong tape or adhesive.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
imsikxi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 M6

Quote:
MikeM6,

Vorsteiner is nice, but I've heard several people who experienced fitment issues. Vaio23 is lucky he didn't experience any issues.

My recommendation would be to go PSM Dynamic. I have the entire kit including trunk spoiler and I love it. It gives the already aggressive (yet clean) M6 a more aggressive look.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
My comprehension is that for a diffuser to be truly functional, rather than just aesthetic, the fins need to be large and pronounced enough to successfully and adequately create channels for the wind to 'tunnel'. Too short, and they create turbulence too close to the car and are not effective.
Makes sense. My assumption is that these are mostly cosmetic pieces, but maybe the larger Vorsteiner diffuser has some functional benefit?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikxi View Post
My recommendation would be to go PSM Dynamic. I have the entire kit including trunk spoiler and I love it. It gives the already aggressive (yet clean) M6 a more aggressive look.
Thanks for the recommendation imsikxi. I took a look at the PSM Dynamic diffuser. I like the main diffuser piece. I'm wondering if it can be installed without the rear extension pieces? I'm not planning to do side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

When I pick my 6 up, I'm likely just to go with RW Carbon. Cheap, but still quality alternative to any higher priced alternatives. The look is also as good as any

I prefer CF under the tailpipes, but the above design looks more raw
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
That looks awesome! What exhaust are you running or are those replacement tips, looking good !
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikxi View Post
MikeM6,

Vorsteiner is nice, but I've heard several people who experienced fitment issues. Vaio23 is lucky he didn't experience any issues.

Hi,Can you post a pic of the rear spoiler? I would like to see how it looks ,Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:48 AM   #12
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It is too simple to install.
Uses the 3 original mounting bolts.
I have not experienced the comments about people having issues with install or fitment.
There might of been a revision in the beginning when released.
I have been sold and installed their kit for the M6 for the last 4-5 years, issue free
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:52 AM   #13
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Hi,Can you post a pic of the rear spoiler? I would like to see how it looks ,Thanks
The rear spoiler is 3D Design
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:54 AM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I heard there's an euro only M Performance diffuser for the M6.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213443

Its very subtle and similar size as OEM diffuser
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The rear spoiler is 3D Design
Thanks for the pics shnell1982. Very nice looking M6. Very clean. Love the color. Is that a frozen color or a wrap?

The rear extension pieces on your car look less aggressive (better to my eyes) than the PSM catalog pics. Wonder if they changed the design?
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pics shnell1982. Very nice looking M6. Very clean. Love the color. Is that a frozen color or a wrap?

The rear extension pieces on your car look less aggressive (better to my eyes) than the PSM catalog pics. Wonder if they changed the design?
Thanks. This was a project car for a client. We had it photographed from HRE wheels.
The M6 is vynal wrapped.
In this picture the rear diffuser is Enlaes
I don't know how active they are these days but I have been told they still make carbon items.
You would have to contact them for information on it.
The Enales is a bit more aggressive then the Vorsteiner but, the Enlaes is 3 separate pieces for the rear diffuser.
Vorsteiner is 1 complete item.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
MikeM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
When I pick my 6 up, I'm likely just to go with RW Carbon. Cheap, but still quality alternative to any higher priced alternatives. The look is also as good as any

I prefer CF under the tailpipes, but the above design looks more raw
Let us know how the RW Carbon part works out.
Appreciate 0