BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #45
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg
Well I will say the M6GC looks are polarizing. It seems people love it or not so much.

I am not so much.

Does anyone look at the extra $10k price tag and ask where is it? Or is everyone here leasing?

Buying an M car is expensive enough, but at some point dont people begin to ask "Thats alot of effin money for an M5 with a fancy body...."

Well if you consider that an Aston Martin Rapide S is a slower car with less power, more weight and less space than the M5, but with an even fancier body for twice the price of an M5 - then you might understand that there is a market for performance sedans with fancy bodies and the M6GC is the bargain of the bunch.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #46
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Sometimes I do wonder why people will try to rationalize on the USD10K difference between luxury cars....... Same thing as Seiko/Citizen watch vs IWC and vs Patek Philips.... They all tell time at the same pace Geez... We should all be wearing Casios.......
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #47
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

TopGear's Take

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...ear-2013-04-23
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Well if you consider that an Aston Martin Rapide S is a slower car with less power, more weight and less space than the M5, but with an even fancier body for twice the price of an M5 - then you might understand that there is a market for performance sedans with fancy bodies and the M6GC is the bargain of the bunch.
Do you think the Aston guy is gonna buy a M6GC? Really?

Aston guy is not price shopping at all, he wants an Aston.

Aston is a niche car. The M6GC is a BMW, just a BMW.

Aston is a fckn Aston. It stands on its own.

You can compare the cars I agree. I just think that BMW is no where close to the prestige of an Aston.

Bentley guy isnt getting a M6GC either.

BMW guy is just stretching his wallet and getting an M6GC. BMW is prob just losing M5 sales for the M6GC.

I dont think BMW is gonna take Aston business or any other niche. Its just a BMW.

I guess time will tell...

Let me say I have an loaded M3 and its nice, but its not a really nice car.

Its not a Porsche GT3 or a 911 Carrera and its certainly not an Aston.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #49
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post

You can compare the cars I agree. I just think that BMW is no where close to the prestige of an Aston.

BMW guy is just stretching his wallet and getting an M6GC. BMW is prob just losing M5 sales for the M6GC.

I dont think BMW is gonna take Aston business or any other niche. Its just a BMW.

From your response I see comprehension is not your strong suit.

I wasn't saying BMW was taking business from Aston. I was saying they are following the same concept which is charging a higher price for a car which looks better and is more exclusive, but which doesn't perform better. The only difference is they have created an exclusive, coupe like car for $136k vs, $200k. It's the same business idea, but lower price for a buyer with lower price limit.

Also a BMW is not a BMW. You can charge >$130k and still use the BMW brand. The 760 and M6 cabrio are evidence of this. Mercedes and Lexus have stretched their brands well above $200k on some models and have sold out those cars with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
M5 and M6GC are both great cars...

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S

Last edited by ONEOF40 FS M3; 08-29-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #51
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Well...at least you're not bitter about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #52
Mdecisive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Alright.. So I'm putting my kidney up on eBay for this.. Generous bids guys.. I'm in AUS.. So these things aren't as cheap as you all get them
2009 BMW 130i 6MT E87 - SOLD
2017 BMW LBB M2 DCT F87 - Current ?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #53
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:

I am probably not the average guy, but I looked at an aston and a massarati before going with the GC.

It wasn't about speed or power, I really just wanted luxury and technology. The aston and massarati had great luxury but not much technology. The GC with full individual was the best compromise between good luxury and good technology while still keeping a sporty look.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #54
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Fu#k it. I'm going to skip this round of ///M cars, buy a 328i and a used Mooney M201 J.
LOL...I just moved out of "dreadful El Paso", am hanging on to my current M and I'm currently looking for a nice Grumman Tiger

...we could be soul mates ...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #55
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
In some ways, but if you see the M6 GranCoupe in real life it is a much better looking car. The roof line and the rear look fantastic.
I can't get over that character line on the side. It seems to emphasize the front fenders, whereas it ought to be emphasizing the rear.

I also don't like the feminine/feline looking face, though that looks better in person than in pictures.

M5 for me...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #56
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
While I accept there is a place in the market for the M5. The M6 GC is a huge wate of sheet metal.

It offers no difference from the M5, costs more and will sell 1/10th the volume.

All this big talk of faster, lighter, pinnacle of design, blah blah is just rubbish.

Its fat, heavy, long and ugly. I challenge all the fanboys to lay down their cash and buy one first.

M5 is nicer car in ever way and is over $10 000 cheaper.

Is the M6 GC exclusive, I'll give you that.

A labotomy is pretty exclusive too.

BMW has lost their way and every new lost design coming out proves it. Next the 3GC, X4, 2 series, X7, M7 Series....

Sad for a car maker with such a great past of motorsport design and history. Its a great marketing company now, just like Apple....
In the main, I agree with you. When the 6GC was first introduced, I liked it. When I saw the pricing and that it's not so different from the 5 series, other than sheet metal and price, I was disappointed, enough that I'm definitely not going to buy a 6G, in any guise, M or otherwise.

At some point I will replace my E92 with something. I'd once thought that something would be the 6GC. Now, it'll more likely be the standard 6 coupe or a 4 series, maybe even a 2 series. I've long felt that BMW's sweet spot is with small, sporty cars, and not large, luxury ones. That the 6GC is just an F10 variation reinforces my opinion in my mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #57
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I am probably not the average guy, but I looked at an aston and a massarati before going with the GC.

It wasn't about speed or power, I really just wanted luxury and technology. The aston and massarati had great luxury but not much technology. The GC with full individual was the best compromise between good luxury and good technology while still keeping a sporty look.
I know how you feel there. I for a long time thought I'd get a Maserati, but decided against it in part for reliability risk, and in part for technology. Have to say though that both brands you mentioned have the 6 beat on looks. Perhaps if Porsche's sedan gets better looking it'll be the one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #58
Maeiourk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

My dealer invited me to test this car on the 17th of May. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #59
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I know how you feel there. I for a long time thought I'd get a Maserati, but decided against it in part for reliability risk, and in part for technology. Have to say though that both brands you mentioned have the 6 beat on looks. Perhaps if Porsche's sedan gets better looking it'll be the one.
I agree that the other brands look better but I don't regret the decision at all. I am a gadget freak and love some of the things the bmw has.

I listen to my israeli radio stations all the time through web radio, get sms, and look at twitter on the idrive, song list and contact list on the hud. night vision camera, 360 surround camera, album art...you get the idea. The other two brands didn't even come close when it came to technology.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #60
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree that the other brands look better but I don't regret the decision at all. I am a gadget freak and love some of the things the bmw has.

I listen to my israeli radio stations all the time through web radio, get sms, and look at twitter on the idrive, song list and contact list on the hud. night vision camera, 360 surround camera, album art...you get the idea. The other two brands didn't even come close when it came to technology.
I completely agree with you. Plus the BMW M5 is considerably faster than both the Maserati and the Aston.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #61
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I do like the looks of the six and at the $100K price point, it is the best thing one can get in its class. The Maserati indeed is well above that price, as is the Aston. And comparing those two against the 6GC, there's no question the 6er is a far better value in more ways that just price.

I just don't think the different exterior design from the 5er is worth $20K+ premium (once optioned as I would have it), particularly as I have an F10 535 as my "nice car." When the 6GC was initially shown, I'd thought, "Well, if it's priced about 5 or 10 grand over the five, I'll just go ahead and trade in my 3er and it'll be my new daily driver." When it came to be nearly $25K over the 5er, I ceased to feel that way.

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine regarding the re-deployment 5 series "bits" underneath different sheet metal. Indeed that could be a result of my own misunderstanding. I've always thought of the six series as a different car from the five. Accordingly, for a $20K premium, I want a car that actually is different, not just different looking. Truth is, I still don't know why BMW doesn't just sell the GC cars as the regular sedans, other than because they can, for sleek or not, it's still a sedan in my eyes.

The other thing is that I'm a buy-it and keep-it person, rather than a lease-it person. My F10 is just coming up on being two years old and barely has 10K miles on it. (Even my '07 E92 is below 50K miles.) So, technically speaking, I have two very nice cars neither of which need replacing, so that too affects my willingness to shell out big bucks for a car that's at its heart is just like one I have.

Perhaps I'll feel differently in a few years when my E92 is truly ready to be replaced.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #62
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I do like the looks of the six and at the $100K price point, it is the best thing one can get in its class. The Maserati indeed is well above that price, as is the Aston. And comparing those two against the 6GC, there's no question the 6er is a far better value in more ways that just price.

I just don't think the different exterior design from the 5er is worth $20K+ premium (once optioned as I would have it), particularly as I have an F10 535 as my "nice car." When the 6GC was initially shown, I'd thought, "Well, if it's priced about 5 or 10 grand over the five, I'll just go ahead and trade in my 3er and it'll be my new daily driver." When it came to be nearly $25K over the 5er, I ceased to feel that way.

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine regarding the re-deployment 5 series "bits" underneath different sheet metal. Indeed that could be a result of my own misunderstanding. I've always thought of the six series as a different car from the five. Accordingly, for a $20K premium, I want a car that actually is different, not just different looking. Truth is, I still don't know why BMW doesn't just sell the GC cars as the regular sedans, other than because they can, for sleek or not, it's still a sedan in my eyes.

The other thing is that I'm a buy-it and keep-it person, rather than a lease-it person. My F10 is just coming up on being two years old and barely has 10K miles on it. (Even my '07 E92 is below 50K miles.) So, technically speaking, I have two very nice cars neither of which need replacing, so that too affects my willingness to shell out big bucks for a car that's at its heart is just like one I have.

Perhaps I'll feel differently in a few years when my E92 is truly ready to be replaced.

You would be surprised, it wasn't that much off in price. The msrp on a fully loaded 650gc ended up coming out to 122K, both the aston and maserati were not much higher. But you can't compare the deals you will get from bmw to aston or maserati, especially if you are leasing.

But I completely understand where you are coming from, the 6gc is not a practical decision at all, especially when the m5 is more powerful and has more room.There is no doubt that the GC is overpriced, especially if you compare it to the CLS or S7, but at this price point I think most people will pay more for what they really want instead of compromising.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #63
charley10us
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

M5 has been my dream car since 16.....I got my 2013 f10 m5 last Sept......absolutely love everything about it, however this is my first non Tahoe or range rover.

Love the m6 GC but I honestly like the "stub nose" look of the m5 and the perfect blend of raw and luxury......I am a younger demographic but I love the jerks and bumps of my m5 and the "sleeping giant" effect it has from understated style until people realize the car can hang with all the best supercars!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #64
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

M5 is a better looking car. But let's remember that majority of world's population consider Kim Kardashian a beautiful woman
Attached Images

Appreciate 0