BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
racdyn/racing dynamics catless downpipes

I've tried searching and using the googles to see if I could find any reviews all to no avail. Anyone use or know of someone with these downpipes? I am interested in knowing if the flex joint/bellows make any difference with vibration. I don't have or know anyone with DP's and not sure if there is a vibration issue.

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+10+63+330.html
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Anyone familiar with the material that they wrap the DP's in?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #3
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

Yes, it's very effective in keeping temps down. I have a similar setup from Germany: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233661149226

The install was slightly easier than a standard downpipe, and for extra thermal protection, I was able to retain the oem heatshields.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Danke. They look really nice. Were you able to observer/record temps before and after? Is the shielding welded on to the pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 02:05 AM   #5
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

Yes the shielding is welded to the pipe. Unfortunately, I installed them right before putting the car into winter storage, so I did not have time to scientifically measure the temperature difference, or get before and after logs. However, I did physically notice a drastic reduction in under hood temperatures after a spirited drive, as well as the cooling fans turning off significantly sooner than before (after ~2 minutes as opposed to ~5 minutes prior to install) however, there could also have been many other variables that could have led to the reduction in fan running time (i.e. lower ambient temperature, length of drive, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomoto712 View Post
Yes the shielding is welded to the pipe. Unfortunately, I installed them right before putting the car into winter storage, so I did not have time to scientifically measure the temperature difference, or get before and after logs. However, I did physically notice a drastic reduction in under hood temperatures after a spirited drive, as well as the cooling fans turning off significantly sooner than before (after ~2 minutes as opposed to ~5 minutes prior to install) however, there could also have been many other variables that could have led to the reduction in fan running time (i.e. lower ambient temperature, length of drive, etc.).
Thank you for the details and the candor on use and op checking.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomoto712 View Post
Not sure if you can easily check, but I am curious if the shielding material is magnetic? I am hoping to better understand how it will insulate i.e. what is its potential conduction, convection, radiation properties might be. The other thing I am curious about is galvanic corrosion.

Corrosion is the main reason I have ruled out "fabric" wraps, but dissimilar metals can lead to similar problems. Ceramic coatings are the only alternative but the air gap thermal protection seems like it would perform better.

Looking forward to anyone's feed back on how to best go about mitigating the heat soak on the back two cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

TinCanSailor I'm interested in DP's and these look nice. I'd be willing to take the bullet with you and get em installed on my f06. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
TinCanSailor I'm interested in DP's and these look nice. I'd be willing to take the bullet with you and get em installed on my f06. Thoughts?
Where in Fl are ya?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #10
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Where in Fl are ya?
Windermere, FL
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Windermere, FL
Windermere is a great location. I am over in Riverview, Fl near Tampa. Are you thinking about installing this yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #12
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Windermere is a great location. I am over in Riverview, Fl near Tampa. Are you thinking about installing this yourself?
No most likely have Sean at PSI or Curtis at WTF take care of the installation. My F06 is bone stock, so I'll probably have to do a DME/Tune to get rid of the CEL. I already have the full Akra Titanium set up, but would like to hear her opened up a bit more.

I've been waiting to do this for a while; with AMS & VRSF being top choices -- even went to the extent of getting turbo blankets from PTP. I just need to get everything installed -- given that I still need to order DP's.

With your introduction of the group (dynamics), I thought it'd be a great "two birds with one stone" situation to have a DP with welded heat mgmt vs. wrapped heat mgmt.

Either way, let's determine if it's a good buy firstly. And if so, let's see if we can get a good group discount going.

Thoughts?

H
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I emailed their sales again today but haven't heard back yet. I have a few appointments and home project stuff tomorrow but will try to call them on Friday if nothing back by then. I have been trying to find that thermal material as well to have cut and welded to another vendors downpipe. I'd be just as happy to go with racdyn if it were not so damn hard to find feedback from other owners a discount off their price would motivate me. Without imperical data or feedback from our peer's I am hesitant to hit the buy it now button

My car is unmoded and has a recently rebuilt engine. I am not looking for a performance tune, but I definitely don't want to go around with the CEL on. I'll likely go the BM3 route to take care of that.
Appreciate 1