09-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 640i Gran Coupe Msport

Full leather dash coming apart

Hello everyone,

I’m starting to notice that a small part of my dash board, where the dash meets the windshield, is starting to come apart. It’s becoming a real eye sore to be honest.

Is there a particular fix, or would I have to replace the dash in its entirety? I’m actually quite pissed given that I’ve never had a vehicle with this issue before.

Also, can someone advise on how to attach picture from my mobile device?

Any tips, advice, and experience is welcomed. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
Hello everyone,

I’m starting to notice that a small part of my dash board, where the dash meets the windshield, is starting to come apart. It’s becoming a real eye sore to be honest.

Is there a particular fix, or would I have to replace the dash in its entirety? I’m actually quite pissed given that I’ve never had a vehicle with this issue before.

Also, can someone advise on how to attach picture from my mobile device?

Any tips, advice, and experience is welcomed. Thanks
I gather your car sees a lot of sun? Anyway, it's not really leather so it should glue pretty readily if you can get behind it. You don't want to buy a new one unless it's ruined. Just the part is several thousand dollars. However, I think it would be very hard to do a good job gluing it without removing it. I have not looked into how difficult it is on this car, but obviously a major job. You might take it out and take it to a trim shop. It's difficult just to clean the inside of the windshield on these cars, so I can't imagine trying to do anything with it in place.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Another option that might actually be easier if it allows sufficient access is to remove the windshield instead of the dash. But it may be that the fabric/leather needs to be glued and tucked under the defrost vents so it may still be difficult that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...Also, can someone advise on how to attach picture from my mobile device?
If you're using the mobile version...scroll down (or around) and look for a link that will switch you over to the DESKTOP version.

When using the desktop version you can upload images using the ADVANCED tab and the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS link below the message box.

This will allow you to upload an image from sources on the device you're own. I do suggest that you check the resolution of your image. If it is HUGE (like 3500x2500)...you may want to use an app to resize the image to approx 800x600 so that others using a small device will be able to see the image with out scrolling left/right & up/down just to try to figure out what they are looking at.

Or reduce the image resolution on your device so that your images aren't too large.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Another option that might actually be easier if it allows sufficient access is to remove the windshield instead of the dash. But it may be that the fabric/leather needs to be glued and tucked under the defrost vents so it may still be difficult that way.
Thank you so much Opie55 for your detailed response! I really appreciate it.

Yes, I live in hot Sacramento, where temperatures are normally in the 90-105F range during the summer months. However, the car is parked daily in the garage and rarely, if ever, on the street; unless I drive out of town. But I will say the garage does get quite hot when the sun beats on it, and I wonder if that has an affect?

For now, I purchased a windshield sun shade. I am also thinking about leather treating the dash to prevent it from getting worse in the future. I’d hate to think about the expense of replacing the dash or removing the windshield for that small spot.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Name:  64712D20-683B-4340-9166-01503110CAD8.jpeg
Views: 2782
Size:  62.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you Qsilver7 for the advice on the photo attachment!

As can be seen in the photo (sorry it’s upside down), that’s where the part is coming loose.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Not that its good, but I was expecting worse. Can that be seen from inside the cockpit?

I think Ive even seen a little area like that on mine way down where it wraps behind the dash.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Mine is like that as well, can not be seen from inside, only notice it when cleaning the windshield from the outside.

Pissed me off as well, but it's probably been like that since I bought it and I just never noticed. Since you can't see it from the inside, and only notice it when cleaning the windshield, I haven't even thought about trying to fix it.

(Everyone runs out to check their car)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #10
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Name:  A54C15FE-135B-4F10-A6B1-0D9A543C834C.jpg
Views: 2716
Size:  477.8 KBNo way I would have seen it if I wasn’t really looking for it.
It doesn’t look like it’s coming up, just looks like it’s the end of the material.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Don't both leather treating it. Because it not really true leather it's pretty impermeable. Just put a good UV protectant on it now and then. I use 303 Protectant. Puts on a new car glow without being shiny.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:26 AM   #12
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't both leather treating it. Because it not really true leather it's pretty impermeable. Just put a good UV protectant on it now and then. I use 303 Protectant. Puts on a new car glow without being shiny.
Thank you for this suggestion; I’m going to try this tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:28 AM   #13
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
Attachment 2697813No way I would have seen it if I wasn’t really looking for it.
It doesn’t look like it’s coming up, just looks like it’s the end of the material.
Yours doesn’t appear to be as noticeable as mine. I just fear it will get worse, which ofcourse I hope not!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:30 AM   #14
Wanwansuii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
Not that its good, but I was expecting worse. Can that be seen from inside the cockpit?

I think Ive even seen a little area like that on mine way down where it wraps behind the dash.
No, I can’t see it from the cockpit. Just when I’m washing the car or standing directly in front. From now on I’ll keep a windshield sunshade on the car.

Out of curiosity, why did BMW charge extra for a leather dashboard if the leather isn’t even real?

Last edited by Wanwansuii; 09-17-2021 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #15
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, I can’t see it from the cockpit. Just when I’m washing the car or standing directly in front. From now on I’ll keep a windshield sunshade on the car.

Out of curiosity, why did BMW charge extra for a leather dashboard of the leather ain’t even real?
Well, the "leather" dash does look better than the standard vinyl dash, which has a coarse pebble grain. I do not know if there are actual regulations about what can be called leather or not. The dash, door tops and center console are made of what is generally called processed leather. I'm sure the actual leather percentage varies by source, but it's something like 15% ground up leather scraps mixed with other stuff and a binder and pressed onto a cloth backing. If you see pictures of one with a deteriorated center armrest you'll see how it really does not look like real leather. It also has way too uniform a surface to be real leather. And it does not feel like real leather. If you have the nappa seats, feel a smooth part compared to your dash. The dash has a harder, slicker feel. Like hot dogs, you probably don't want to know what all is in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 12:42 AM   #16
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Well, the "leather" dash does look better than the standard vinyl dash, which has a coarse pebble grain. I do not know if there are actual regulations about what can be called leather or not. The dash, door tops and center console are made of what is generally called processed leather. I'm sure the actual leather percentage varies by source, but it's something like 15% ground up leather scraps mixed with other stuff and a binder and pressed onto a cloth backing. If you see pictures of one with a deteriorated center armrest you'll see how it really does not look like real leather. It also has way too uniform a surface to be real leather. And it does not feel like real leather. If you have the nappa seats, feel a smooth part compared to your dash. The dash has a harder, slicker feel. Like hot dogs, you probably don't want to know what all is in it.
in england its called bonded leather
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
in england its called bonded leather
Oh yeah, I knew there was another term that I could not remember.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Has anyone actually had a dash fixed? I have the issue on my wifes SL500 and is to the point where it really is noticeable and whenever i ask the mechanic for a recommendation, they have none, or just say that would be a very time consuming, expensive job...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #19
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog2964 View Post
Has anyone actually had a dash fixed? I have the issue on my wifes SL500 and is to the point where it really is noticeable and whenever i ask the mechanic for a recommendation, they have none, or just say that would be a very time consuming, expensive job...
Your mechanic is correct, although a mechanic is not really the best person to ask about that problem. It will almost certainly be a big undertaking regardless of the details, and expensive if you are not a capable DIY type. There are so many variables it is hard to say, at least w/o good pictures. One variable is how difficult the dash is to remove. That varies widely by car and brand. I can't comment on an SL500. A second variable is what the material is. A third variable is what caused it to delaminate. This may be the biggest issue. If it pulled it itself off because the material shrunk then it may not be possible to get it to lay back down no matter what. If it is simply glue failure then it may be repairable. Your best bet is to consult with a few local trim shops.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #20
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

I wouldn't like to imagine the price of just removing a refitting the dash in one of the. Easily $$$$'s just in labour
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #21
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS86 View Post
I wouldn't like to imagine the price of just removing a refitting the dash in one of the. Easily $$$$'s just in labour
Ya, thats what the mechanics told me and quite honestly, unless you could find someone that really know what they were doing and has done it before, i would be worried about them really messing it up worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #22
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

look i get it , it would annoy me too as I'm fussy. however its not actually that 'bad', you look for it cause you know its there, like a dent or a scratch we 'look and see it' doesn't mean its immediately visible to others. Its all been well said above, the labour costs alone to remove the dash would be $$$$ plus whatever is required to solve the shrinking and then the possibility of actually making the problem worse.... that's what would worry me more and it may actually make this small issue worse. At the risk of sounding like a home DIYer.... might i suggest some matt black leather cream to cover the pulled areas where you can see the 'lighter underside'. I had some small imperfections on my nappa leather door inserts where i suspect someone with rings used to pull the door. Using some matt black 'non shiny' (shoe leather crème yep shoe cream lol) fixed it and hid the marks. Now i know they are there cause i look but if you casually looked at the panel you wouldn't notice at all. Just a quick and easy suggestion to try first before going through all that other palaver.... it may disguise it enough that it doesn't bother you .... good luck
Appreciate 0