BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-05-2021, 06:52 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Car Hacking?

I was fairly annoyed when I found out that my 2016 640 GC would no longer be ‘connected’ after AT&T killed their 3G network. I was even more annoyed when BMW told me that there was no upgrade possible - paid or not. But then I took the click-bait and read this article.

I know that out of the hundreds of millions of cars out there, 150 car hacks in a year is insignificant, but what of they (the bad guys) start car hacking in earnest? Say you’ve got a $150k M8 and a hacker ‘carnaps’ it demanding $5k? They could do this hundreds of times a day. And it’s not just that. Apparently they can completely take control of the vehicle.

How tight is the security of a BMW? Is every connected system individually password protected or is there a master password for the entire car? After January, when my 640 is disconnected as it were, I might sleep better.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...han-you-think/
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Hey man, you are like my father who recently told me that it is not secure to tell pin from his card during video call in telegram because it is listening by third parties all over)))

Each $150k M8 has insurance coverage. If it got stolen or hacked and you don't actually own it anymore - file a claim at insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Alpine650
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 650i xDrive Vert

Ha! Do you really think Telegram is secure.? Not only third parties listening but all are recorded.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Hey man, you are like my father who recently told me that it is not secure to tell pin from his card during video call in telegram because it is listening by third parties all over)))

Each $150k M8 has insurance coverage. If it got stolen or hacked and you don't actually own it anymore - file a claim at insurance company.
Your dad sounds like a cautious man! Not a bad trait in today’s world. I know that insurance would pay for a theft, but I wonder if they would cover a hack that simply disabled the ignition? I think they would call that a mechanical failure and refuse to pay.
Appreciate 0