BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-25-2021, 03:25 AM   #1
M6Horgen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC

Question M6 tuning and downpipes recommendations.

Hey!

Looking to get a few mods for my M6 and wondering if you have some tips for me. My car is a 2014 M6 GC witch stock exhaust, and in my opinion its too silent. First of all I want to have more exhaust sound and some burble.

1. Downpipes (looking at catless downpipes from project gamma)

2. Tuning (Looking at BM3 or costum tune)

3. Carbon fiber lip, sideskirt and diffusor. (Looking at the twenty two tuning vorsteiner style kit)

4. Should I upgrade anything else when tuning it? like downpipes, intercooler etc?

5. Is it possible/safe to remove cold start function?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 03:47 AM   #2
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

1. You can choose whatever downpipes you want, they are all almost the same, coming from china manufacturer.
I bought mine from Aliexpress, they were 250€ or about 300$, fits perfectly and are on the car for more than a year now.
Don't buy M6 downpipes that are "650i like" with the expansion joint in between, they usually cracks and the joint is not required in our exhaust system.
Buy standard downpipes and add on top of that 50$ to wrap them with titanium exhaust heat wrap. The sound will be less hoarse, a pitch toned down (i can confirm that because my DPs were initially installed by me without the heat-wrap, then redone the work and feels the sound difference)

2. BM3 is really versatile. We don't have most of the fancy options available for the other engines but it's a safe tune and you have the ability to do some stuff by yourself.

4. Requirements are upon the stage of the tune you would choose.
For stage 1 you don't need anything, for stage 2 you need downpipes. Also true for the octane rating you choose in the tune.
When going stage 2 some people suggest to change the spark plugs in favour of the 1-step colder NGK SILZKBRD8DS (97506) gapped at 0.022" (0,55mm) but it's not strictly necessary.
(I have mine gapped and ready to be installed, but as said before my car is on stage 2 93oct for about a year still with the stock Bosch pre-gapped spark plug)

5. Yeah, you can turn it on/off in each map of BM3, even your stock tune

Last edited by Aliendex; 08-28-2021 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
1. You can choose whatever downpipes you want, they are all almost the same, coming from china manufacturer.
I bought mine from Aliexpress, they were 250€ or about 300$, fits perfectly and are on the car for more than a year now.
Don't buy M6 downpipes that are "650i like" with the expansion joint in between, they usually cracks and the joint is not required in our exhaust system.
Buy standard downpipes and add on top of that 50$ to wrap them with titanium exhaust heat wrap. The sound will be less hoarse, a pitch toned down (i can confirm that because my DPs were initially installed by me without the heat-wrap, then redone the work and feels the sound difference)

2. BM3 is really versatile. We don't have most of the fancy options available for the other engines but it's a safe tune and you have the ability to do some stuff by yourself.

4. Requirements are upon the stage of the tune you would choose.
For stage 1 you don't need anything, for stage 2 you need downpipes. Also true for the octane rating you choose in the tune.
When going stage 2 some people suggest to change the spark plugs in favour of the 1-step colder NGK SILZKBRD8DS (97506) gapped at 0.022" (0,55mm) but it's not strictly necessary.
(I have mine gapped and ready to be installed, but as said before my car is on stage 2 93oct for about a year still with the stock Bosch pre-gapped spark plug)

5. Yeah, you can turn it on/off in each map of BM3, even your stock tune
ESS tune

Safe effective, program and forget it
Appreciate 0