BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Winter Storage

I'm putting my F13 M6 down for the winter and wanted to prep accordingly. I have a somewhat climate controlled garage, so the temps don't drop below 50-ish, so that helps.

I know it's recommended to increase air pressure in the tires, but what PSI should I use for 20" rims and PS4S?

I've already added some Sta-Bil to the tank and filled her up, so we're good on that one.

About to connect the trickle charger, so we're good on that, too.

Anything else I'm forgetting?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
pseudo stig
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw E39 M5

I imagine there are some experts that may have other info but these were things I did with winter storage in the northeast and never had an issue.
-Condition the leather on the seats and dash.
-Get some foam rubber squares from Home Depot/Lowes and put them under your tires.
The tires sit on on the rubber and not the hard surface underneath.
-Get a box of dryer sheets and put them throughout the cabin, under the hood, & in the
trunk.
Rodents are the biggest enemy of storage and the sheets will hopefully keep them away.
I put them in the tail pipes and taped the pipes shut so nothing crawls in there.
-Put a cover on it and hope like hell that it looks the same when you take the cover off.
Total cost should be less than $75. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo stig View Post
I imagine there are some experts that may have other info but these were things I did with winter storage in the northeast and never had an issue.
-Get some foam rubber squares from Home Depot/Lowes and put them under your tires.
-Get a box of dryer sheets and put them throughout the cabin, under the hood, & in the
trunk.
Rodents are the biggest enemy of storage and the sheets will hopefully keep them away.
I put them in the tail pipes and taped the pipes shut so nothing crawls in there.
-Put a cover on it and hope like hell that it looks the same when you take the cover off.
Great first post
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo stig View Post
trunk.
Apparently all the German makers (BMW, Merc, Audi) use soy based insulation on the wires and that's kind of like crack for mice, which is why I actually have 2 extension cords I run underneath the car with ultrasonic rodent deterrent gizmos.

Good ideas for the other things, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Sleepybear
Rep
Drives: '12 650i Coupe 6mt '08 X5 4.8i

Out of curiosity, is there a specific trickle charger that is suggested to use?? I am going to be storing my F13 650 in my garage in Minnesota, which is not temperature controlled so it gets quite cold in there.

I have put down a rug that it will be sitting on, and plan on putting a cover on it as well, but just don't want to damage the battery. I am looking at the NOCO Genius2 or CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I have a CTEK 7002. I believe CTEK is who OEMs the BMW branded chargers. They have a mode specifically for LiPo batteries.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepybear View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a specific trickle charger that is suggested to use?? I am going to be storing my F13 650 in my garage in Minnesota ... I am looking at the NOCO Genius2 or CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 right now.
Either of those would be great to use. What you want is a device that will maintain the battery and will stop charging the battery when it is topped off...and will begin charging it again if the voltage drops.

A "charger" that never shuts off is not a good idea if you're not going to go back and check the battery's state of charge. Again, the concept is to "maintain" the battery while it is being stored and not driven.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
Sleepybear
Rep
Drives: '12 650i Coupe 6mt '08 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Either of those would be great to use. What you want is a device that will maintain the battery and will stop charging the battery when it is topped off...and will begin charging it again if the voltage drops.

A "charger" that never shuts off is not a good idea if you're not going to go back and check the battery's state of charge. Again, the concept is to "maintain" the battery while it is being stored and not driven.
So as long as it is made to maintain battery levels, do I need to worry about it being made for certain battery types/voltages/amps etc?

Sorry if a little over the top, but just don't want to find out I've racked up a bunch of electrical issues come spring time
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepybear View Post
...do I need to worry about it being made for certain battery types/voltages/amps etc?

Sorry if a little over the top, but just don't want to find out I've racked up a bunch of electrical issues come spring time
Yes...you do need to verify that the maintainer/tender/charger is designed for the type of battery it is attached to. There are some really inexpensive float chargers/maintainers/tenders/etc that were designed for "flooded" lead acid batteries but not meant for AGM or Lithium. So make sure whatever you're using is designed to charge the type of battery it will be connected to.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0