BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #1
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Gran Coupe 6MT

Engine Seized or Blown at the Dealer - Bizarre Events

Well,

A few years ago I had an M3 that blew an engine. It was a significant cost to me as I had a donor motor installed. The loss of the motor was a big let down, I loved the car. A year later I sold the car.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310329

So after being a little gun shy of M's for a while, I finally broke down and started hunting for a M5 or M6 GC with a 6MT. I missed the M feeling, and liked the novelty of a 6MT twin turbo V8. It took me two years but I finally found and purchased a beautiful low mile M6 GC 6MT Individual in Moonstone Metallic. I had the car ceramic coated, put on PPF, installed 433 wheels and an Akra exhaust.

Fast forward about two months and I took the car in to the dealer for an early oil change this week in preparation of a longer trip later in the week. It was a beautiful 30 mile drive to the dealer, and I was thinking how much I love the car. I also have a 991.2 911 Targa, and was thinking I really don't need that car any more. The M6 does it all for me.

Coming into the shop, everyone had to comment on how nice the car was and the rarity of it. The car was like Rolling Stones walking into a small venue, and surprising everyone buy playing a few songs.

They drive the car away, and it goes into the shop. Who new what was about to happen next would be a bizarre sequence of events.

I was busy with work, but then after two hours, I wondered what was going on. I peak in the shop, and the guys are all standing around car with the hood up. I thought they were still admiring it. I walked away smiling.

Thirty minutes later, and the Service Advisor comes out with a distraught look. Sir you need to come with me she says in a very serious and slightly panicked voice. I proceed to the car, I knew something was wrong.

I peer in, the M is on the hoist and there are a bunch of mechanics standing around it. Heads down, arms crossed, ....like they were standing over a casket at a grave site. The Shop Foreman then proceeds with, well, we changed the oil, drove it around the block, and it just quit, at idle! We think the engine seized.

After I made several calls into the dealer the next day with no response, today they confirmed that engine has to be replaced - through a text message. The bizarre story just continues. I guess the fax machine wasn't working.

I am not very happy with this being second M Motor I have lost, but thankfully this one is under warranty. And if it was going to happen, I am glad it was at the Dealer and in their hands. It will probably cost $40-50k, again thankfully under warranty. But with COVID, who knows how long this will take.

BMW will have some making up to do on this one quite honestly. The whole series of events with was a goat rodeo.

As I learn more I will post the root cause and ultimate failure.
Attached Images

07-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Yikes!!! Good thing it is under warranty. BMW baffles me some times with their oil duration and choice for their V8 motors.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Wow, that's awful. And awfully lucky, sort of. Delighted to hear it happened in the dealer's hands, and under warranty. I hope the new motor come soon. It really pains me to see this happen to a fellow MT driver. I can really identify with your views re the Porsche and other cars. But blown engines are no joke. At least for me, I feel both completely satisfied by the M6 and worried about this exact fate?

Were there any signs at all? Do you think the dealer did something? Forgot the plug and went for a joyride?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Really sorry this happened, especially on such an uber rare version of an already rare car - but as others have said, very glad to hear it happened in the dealer's hands. Please keep us posted on the outcome of the investigation - there's a thread running tracking these engine failures.

Quietly thankful over hear I invested in a solid warranty. The peace of mind is invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

How many mile your car has? Engine seized at idle sounds like the oil pump just quit or they didn’t add any oil! On the bright side, you are getting a new motor. Hope things will work out good for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
Wow, that's awful. And awfully lucky, sort of. Delighted to hear it happened in the dealer's hands, and under warranty. I hope the new motor come soon. It really pains me to see this happen to a fellow MT driver. I can really identify with your views re the Porsche and other cars. But blown engines are no joke. At least for me, I feel both completely satisfied by the M6 and worried about this exact fate?

Were there any signs at all? Do you think the dealer did something? Forgot the plug and went for a joyride?
No signs whatsoever. They showed me the oil they drained after the failure. But who knows. I should be able to find out more from the BMW download from the computer.

07-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Really sorry this happened, especially on such an uber rare version of an already rare car - but as others have said, very glad to hear it happened in the dealer's hands. Please keep us posted on the outcome of the investigation - there's a thread running tracking these engine failures.

Quietly thankful over hear I invested in a solid warranty. The peace of mind is invaluable.
I did the same. Bought a 4 year extended warranty. But this fell under the standard warranty.

MMMM6GC275.00
      07-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamate View Post
How many mile your car has? Engine seized at idle sounds like the oil pump just quit or they didn't add any oil! On the bright side, you are getting a new motor. Hope things will work out good for you.
Agreed. I thought the same. 36k.

07-26-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Without tearing the engine apart to validate, they believe it is a rod bearing/bent connecting rod.

Long block coming from Germany.

08-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

A painful and bizarre episode as OP noted. Such a beautiful and rare car surely needs to be back on the road soon after the "heart transplant". As to the root cause, I think of what 1st year med students are taught. "When you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras." It would seem more unlikely for a critical part to fail under such supposed light load. I wonder (speculation) if technician error regarding oil or abuse on the test drive isn't more likely. Having worked at two dealerships in my early years, I saw there can be no end to the stories that can be fabricated to cover a problem. As well, I've had a car returned with the oil cap missing, blowing oil all under the hood, only to be told I must have removed it. I'm sure there are other similar horror stories. As Mandrake noted, fortuitous that this happened (if it was inevitable) in dealer custody and while warrantied. Many happier kilometers/miles wait ahead!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I wonder (speculation) if technician error...
OMG, don't get me started!

OP, best of luck!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #12
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Car is back, and it runs great.

But, as I think about it, what are the odds of the engine failing exactly when the car was at the dealer and in their hands. The exact day, and at that exact mileage. Statistically, this is like lottery ticket odds.

I am hardly conspiracy minded, but I becoming a bit suspicious, and wondering if I should request some sort of report from the BMW area rep.

Thoughts?

08-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

I’m glad that you got everything fix. Did the dealer change/update any other parts beside your long block? I mean you can ask them what causes the old engine to fail, but they may just give you some vague/bs answer too.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Very glad everything was taken care of and your car is back top-notch.
I had a similar issue (not as drastic, though) with my previous car.

Went in for regular maintenance, park at the service line, when they go to move my car a huge oil spill underneath. No traces of oil anywhere, so obviously it happened as the car sat there. Turned out to be a turbo oil line or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWM3 View Post
Car is back, and it runs great.

But, as I think about it, what are the odds of the engine failing exactly when the car was at the dealer and in their hands. The exact day, and at that exact mileage. Statistically, this is like lottery ticket odds.

I am hardly conspiracy minded, but I becoming a bit suspicious, and wondering if I should request some sort of report from the BMW area rep.

Thoughts?
I think it's a strategic decision based on your personal priorities. If having the car running well is primary, I suggest letting it go and enjoying the outcome. However, if you feel knowing what happened is most important, you could ask BMW to "shine a light" on the details and root cause, knowing that it could negatively impact your future relationship with that service department for what may have been a human error issue that they apparently resolved satisfactorily.

For the dealer, it may be hard to separate the simple facts of the occurrence from the emotion of experiencing blame, highlighted by your potential investigation request. Would having even exact knowledge of the occurrence be a sufficient comfort to you to offset that risk, if you intend to continue to work with them on your vehicle(s) in the future?

This is for you to assess and follow your strongest inclination. If I were in this situation and had that vehicle, I'd go out for a wonderful drive until any concerning thoughts floated away!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-12-2021 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
JFWM395.50
      08-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
JFWM3
JFWE92M3
United_States
Rep

Well, I think I'm with you Sportstick.

First, I highly doubt BMW or the Dealer will provide full disclosure. It will be a one way street on information. Second, they did put in a completely new long block, some of the dressed components, new clutch (with my complaining) and will do a few other things on my 1,200 mile break in oil change.

In the end, I bought the car to drive. Not as a collector piece, not as a garage queen, not as an investment (there are far better investments out there) - just to daily drive and enjoy.

So, with a new engine, several other new expensive bits, and a warranty on the replacement, I can do just that without worry.

Let those bad thoughts float away.