BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #1
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550ix

PCD Delivery | Driving a different model than purchase

Random question here. A family member recently bought a G05 X5 M50i and I will be doing PCD delivery with them. I don't have much interest in tracking a G05 even for a few laps. I would however like to drive a F90 M5 since since I have been debating replacing my F10 550ix with a F90 M5.

Anybody asked if they could drive a different car when doing a PCD? Also is the discount on driving events still 25% after doing PCD?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

I'm pretty sure it's standard fare to drive the model and trim that you are picking up. PCD take good care of you, but are full-tilt getting it all done as spec'd 5 days a week. ie... they schedule you with others who have the same model and trim, so you would probably induce "eye roll syndrome" for any special vehicle request during a PCD.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 02:29 PM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Especially asking for an ///M5.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-29-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's standard fare to drive the model and trim that you are picking up. PCD take good care of you, but are full-tilt getting it all done as spec'd 5 days a week. ie... they schedule you with others who have the same model and trim, so you would probably induce "eye roll syndrome" for any special vehicle request during a PCD.
Fair point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Especially asking for an ///M5.
True. That being said its not like we bought a 118i... I guess I will just do one of the driving events to get a feel for the F90.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 05:26 AM   #5
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Did the PCD last summer,and this exact scenario presented itself when a married couple flew in from Texas to take delivery of the wifes X5M...the husband struck up a convo w me and said he was ready to pull the trigger on a new M3 but wanted to "test drive" one of the four M3s they had sitting there that the instructors were using to give the participants a few hot laps around the course with at the end of the track segment before lunch. He approached the lead instructor and asked if this was possible around the relatively slower autocross section of the track we had been on earlier that morning.

A very brief discussion between the lead instructor,another BMW instructor and the husband then took place. A minute later the husband walked over to me and said,the BMW instructors said absolutely not under no circumstances would this happen.

He said it was worth a shot though lol
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 05:33 AM   #6
bk_mike
|
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Did the PCD last summer,and this exact scenario presented itself when a married couple flew in from Texas to take delivery of the wifes X5M...the husband struck up a convo w me and said he was ready to pull the trigger on a new M3 but wanted to "test drive" one of the four M3s they had sitting there that the instructors were using to give the participants a few hot laps around the course with at the end of the track segment before lunch. He approached the lead instructor and asked if this was possible around the relatively slower autocross section of the track we had been on earlier that morning.

A very brief discussion between the lead instructor,another BMW instructor and the husband then took place. A minute later the husband walked over to me and said,the BMW instructors said absolutely not under no circumstances would this happen.

Well that answers my question. Thank you very much for replying.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 06:09 AM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I'm going next week so I guess I'll find out. Does this mean if you're picking up an X7 that you'll be tracking an X7 as well? That seems.... comical.

I'm picking up a G80 so no complaints on tracking a G80, but was sort of hoping to get my hands on an M5 as well...

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 10:13 AM   #8
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'm going next week so I guess I'll find out. Does this mean if you're picking up an X7 that you'll be tracking an X7 as well? That seems.... comical.

I'm picking up a G80 so no complaints on tracking a G80, but was sort of hoping to get my hands on an M5 as well...
Yes. The point behind the delivery there is to get comfortable driving the car that you're buying at the limits. Why would that be comical?

Why would you have any expectation of driving an M5 if you're getting a G80? Do people not understand what they are getting with PCD?
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      01-30-2023, 10:47 AM   #9
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

For clarity - as others are pointing out, PCD is to showcase your car being delivered and to familiarize you with the capability of the car you purchased... and to cement "buyer's delight" for lack of a better word.

It is not a showcase for the lineup or an "M Class" track day. You can book those events separately, but even when I drove almost every M model they make at a dedicated event, we still did not drive the M3... FWIW.

If you want to drive an M5, ask what class/event you need to register for to do that, and then book it!
Appreciate 3
wtwo317939.00
snareman9025.00
      01-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Yes. The point behind the delivery there is to get comfortable driving the car that you're buying at the limits. Why would that be comical?

Why would you have any expectation of driving an M5 if you're getting a G80? Do people not understand what they are getting with PCD?
Are these serious questions?

A large 3 row SUV on a track is comical... I don't care what your intentions are. I say that as an X7 owner.

The REAL point behind PCD is to build BMW loyalty and maybe sell some M track days in the process. So it's not unreasonable to think perhaps they'll allow track time in some of the other cars in the lineup. If they reserve that privilege for the M track days then so be it. BMW doesn't give a rats ass how comfortable you are driving you luxobarge SUV at the limits.

In any case, I wasn't "expecting" to get behind an M5, I simply said I was hoping. It would be cool to check out the other M cars on track as well. BTW my g80 is a 6mt... I've been told they only have the automatics on track. So I guess I'm getting track time with a different car

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2023, 11:40 AM   #11
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:

A large 3 row SUV on a track is comical... I don't care what your intentions are. I say that as an X7 owner.

The REAL point behind PCD is to build BMW loyalty and maybe sell some M track days in the process. So it's not unreasonable to think perhaps they'll allow track time in some of the other cars in the lineup. If they reserve that privilege for the M track days then so be it. BMW doesn't give a rats ass how comfortable you are driving you luxobarge SUV at the limits.

In any case, I wasn't "expecting" to get behind an M5, I simply said I was hoping. It would be cool to check out the other M cars on track as well. BTW my g80 is a 6mt... I've been told they only have the automatics on track. So I guess I'm getting track time with a different car
Have you done PCD before?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 11:59 AM   #12
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you done PCD before?
I have not... hence the questions... and the point of this thread. My PCD date is next week. Only things I know about what to expect is what I've been told. BMW doesn't go into detail with the PCD information they send out in terms of what track time will consist of other than you'll be driving a similar car to what you've ordered. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if you're able to drive other M cars. One thing I HAVE been told from other members is that they don't have manual cars on track, so those who've ordered a 6MT will be driving the automatic variation of it.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:25 PM   #13
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Dunno about them not caring. Cared enough to send one to lightning lap....

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lightning-lap/

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:32 PM   #14
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Dunno about them not caring. Cared enough to send one to lightning lap....

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lightning-lap/

Shawn
The x7 doesn't come in M form.

Besides, sending one to a magazine publication to perform professional lightning laps isn't quite the same as ensuring some random Joe is comfortable carving canyons in a 3 row SUV.

I think one of the YouTube channels once took an X7 m50i around a track (some weird comparison to a Toyota gr86) and it was absolutely comical seeing this behemoth taking corners. My X7 has the dynamic handling package, so it's impressive for what it is, but I'm not going to pretend like I'd ever try and push it to its limits.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 12:49 PM   #15
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
The x7 doesn't come in M form.

Besides, sending one to a magazine publication to perform professional lightning laps isn't quite the same as ensuring some random Joe is comfortable carving canyons in a 3 row SUV.

I think one of the YouTube channels once took an X7 m50i around a track (some weird comparison to a Toyota gr86) and it was absolutely comical seeing this behemoth taking corners. My X7 has the dynamic handling package, so it's impressive for what it is, but I'm not going to pretend like I'd ever try and push it to its limits.
I got what you're saying. I don't take any SUV on any track everywhere. But I'm telling you the clown in the trackhawk Jeep thinks his shitcan is faster than your car.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
wtwo317939.00
      01-30-2023, 12:52 PM   #16
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have not... hence the questions... and the point of this thread. My PCD date is next week. Only things I know about what to expect is what I've been told. BMW doesn't go into detail with the PCD information they send out in terms of what track time will consist of other than you'll be driving a similar car to what you've ordered. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if you're able to drive other M cars. One thing I HAVE been told from other members is that they don't have manual cars on track, so those who've ordered a 6MT will be driving the automatic variation of it.
In your post, you said, "The REAL point behind PCD is to build BMW loyalty and maybe sell some M track days in the process. So it's not unreasonable to think perhaps they'll allow track time in some of the other cars in the lineup. If they reserve that privilege for the M track days then so be it. BMW doesn't give a rats ass how comfortable you are driving you luxobarge SUV at the limits."

So hence me asking if you've actually done it already. Since you know the REAL point. I've done PCD twice and going into it, I never had any hopes that I would be able to drive anything other than what I ordered but maybe my dealer did a better job of explaining things to me in advance.

Below is copied and pasted from the BMW site about PCD. It sounds like your expectation was closer to a track day and that is definitely not what PCD is about.

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/deliveryfaq

19. What types of driving exercises will customers experience?
After a brief classroom session with a BMW Driving Instructor, customers will get behind the wheel of a BMW Performance Center Fleet vehicle that is similar to the vehicle purchased. Customers will participate in handling, braking and traction-control driving exercises.

All customers will also have the opportunity to explore a BMW X vehicle’s capabilities on the BMW Performance Center’s off-road course.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317939.00
      01-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #17
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post

It sounds like he was asking for an extra driving experience though? It doesn't surprise me that they said no and I'm assuming would say no if you asked to drive something different than you were picking up because then it just gets too messy. Sure, an X5M to an M5 on the price spectrum is evenish compared to a 118 to M5, but where would you draw the line? M3 to M5? 340 to M5? It seems like it would just be way too complicated so they'd set a blanket policy of, no.

I forget where in the process of my M8 order I was when we were there for my friends X3M PCD. I think I'd ordered it, but it wasn't built yet. They had an M8 sitting there that I almost considered asking if I could drive as they seem to friendly and laid back there, but I figured the answer would have been no so I didn't ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:22 PM   #18
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I got what you're saying. I don't take any SUV on any track everywhere. But I'm telling you the clown in the trackhawk Jeep thinks his shitcan is faster than your car.

Shawn
At one of the M Track days we drag raced in X5M and X6Ms. it was surprising how fast they were. Not that I'd typically do that in real life, but still interesting to see.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:38 PM   #19
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In your post, you said, "The REAL point behind PCD is to build BMW loyalty and maybe sell some M track days in the process. So it's not unreasonable to think perhaps they'll allow track time in some of the other cars in the lineup. If they reserve that privilege for the M track days then so be it. BMW doesn't give a rats ass how comfortable you are driving you luxobarge SUV at the limits."

So hence me asking if you've actually done it already. Since you know the REAL point. I've done PCD twice and going into it, I never had any hopes that I would be able to drive anything other than what I ordered but maybe my dealer did a better job of explaining things to me in advance.

Below is copied and pasted from the BMW site about PCD. It sounds like your expectation was closer to a track day and that is definitely not what PCD is about.

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/deliveryfaq

19. What types of driving exercises will customers experience?
After a brief classroom session with a BMW Driving Instructor, customers will get behind the wheel of a BMW Performance Center Fleet vehicle that is similar to the vehicle purchased. Customers will participate in handling, braking and traction-control driving exercises.

All customers will also have the opportunity to explore a BMW X vehicle’s capabilities on the BMW Performance Center’s off-road course.
I've seen this blurb. Call it semantics if you want, "hoping"... "thinking it would be cool" etc. I wasn't going in expecting it. I'm not going to come away disappointed if I don't get seat time in other models. But I don't see anything wrong with asking the question. I'm glad you were able to do it twice but expecting those who haven't had the opportunity to do it yet to know the ins and outs of exactly what happens that day based on one sentence and not have additional questions (which, let's be honest, is a bit vague... which X vehicle is it on the off-road course? How "similar" will the vehicle be - will I get to drive a 6MT similar to mine? Are there other cars i can drive? See where im going with this) is a bit unreasonable.

As far as the REAL reason behind it, it doesn't take a genius to recognize the marketing opportunity for BMW regardless of if one has done it or not. Marketing opportunity and building brand loyalty is what ALL of these experiences are about regardless of if it's BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche. If a customer learns the limits of their purchased car, all the better.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #20
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've seen this blurb. Call it semantics if you want, "hoping"... "thinking it would be cool" etc. I wasn't going in expecting it. I'm not going to come away disappointed if I don't get seat time in other models. But I don't see anything wrong with asking the question. I'm glad you were able to do it twice but expecting those who haven't had the opportunity to do it yet to know the ins and outs of exactly what happens that day based on one sentence and not have additional questions (which, let's be honest, is a bit vague... which X vehicle is it on the off-road course? How "similar" will the vehicle be - will I get to drive a 6MT similar to mine? Are there other cars i can drive? See where im going with this) is a bit unreasonable.

As far as the REAL reason behind it, it doesn't take a genius to recognize the marketing opportunity for BMW regardless of if one has done it or not. Marketing opportunity and building brand loyalty is what ALL of these experiences are about regardless of if it's BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche. If a customer learns the limits of their purchased car, all the better.
If you are going to try and ask for it, asking when you arrive isn't the time. They get the cars out and gassed up the night before and set them out for the next day. We went over to the PC to take some pics the day we arrived and they were getting the M8 fueled up for the next day. We stuck up a conversation with the guy about it. So it would be too late to try it when you arrive. You'd need to ask when you set up the appointment or certainly awhile before anyway.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317939.00
      01-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

"sounds like" "real point" lmfao yall have too much time to argue with people on internet fourms. do yall get off on this shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #22
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
"sounds like" "real point" lmfao yall have too much time to argue with people on internet fourms. do yall get off on this shit.
I'm on a beach vacation in the Dominican chilling right now... I got all the time in the world

Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5011.50