BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
SixPost
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Xdrive Alpine White

Wheels and durability

Any advice or experience you may have to offer would be much appreciated...

Rolling on staggered 373s in the summer and a square set of 351s in the winter. I've suffered several bent wheels on both set ups.

The 373s have Michelin Pilot SS. Ride quality was noticeably improved by going away from RFTs... but could the softer sidewalls be contributing to the bent wheels I've been dealing with?

Are there BMW wheels that you have switched to that are forged or are known to be more durable than the 373s and 351s that I have? I have read that the M6 wheel offsets don't work on a 650, but M5 wheels will work. Are the M5 wheels tougher, or would they also be likely to bend like the the ones I already have?

Any non- BMW wheel options worth considering? The look of the 373s is perfect in my opinion, but I'd be willing to change if it meant not having to deal with bends all of the time...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Softer side walls will, if anything, reduce bent wheels, not contribute to it. I'm assuming the roads at your location ("parts unknown") are bad, thus, no way to solve the bent rim problem...unless you are willing to go to 18" with bubble-like tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I've running a set of 343 M5 wheels and have suffered from a couple of wheels that have cracked on the inner edge of the rim, they've been welded and put back back into service with no balance or vibration issues.