BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Any chemist here?

My father in law is a truck driver and got into a wreck and 4 pallets of sodium aluminum phosphate acidic got damaged. Anyone know what we can do with this stuff? Maybe sell it preferable but idk to who or how to discard kt? Weird question I know.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Umm...shouldn't he have had a MSDS, material safety data sheet, with him when he took on that load?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615143.50
      10-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Name:  lets-cook.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  114.3 KB

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7929.00
kanovic456.00
      10-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
looks like you can do a boatload of baking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium...nium_phosphate
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #5
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
My father in law is a truck driver and got into a wreck and 4 pallets of sodium aluminum phosphate acidic got damaged. Anyone know what we can do with this stuff? Maybe sell it preferable but idk to who or how to discard kt? Weird question I know.
Google says -
Sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP), its acidic form is used with sodium bicarbonate as a leavening agent in bakery products while the basic type is used as an emulsifier in processed cheese.

If it was damaged in an accident and is normally used as an ingredient for foods and for human consumption, it can't be sold. He should check with his shipper, they probably have rules that it must be destroyed due to food safety issues.
      10-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

you wont be able to sell it because any buyer will need traceability and sanitary conditions so if its damaged it has no value,

based on state laws you might be able to dispose of it in a regulars landfill, although this is unlikely and needs to be disposed in what is called a sanitary landfill where you get some hospital/industrial Nonhazardous waste.

if you want to find a cool use for it: mix some of the powder with drano
LOL, JK don't do that
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thats no fun. My step-dad is a truck driver, often facilities would mess up loading him and the next place will refuse the load. When frozen or refrigerated the company often just tells him to keep it or dispose of it without charge. Hell at one point we had a full freezer of Klondike bars, this was like a decade or more ago and I think we still have some left over. Sometimes we would get some real good expensive cheeses, whip cream, tons of frozen goodies, etc etc. Rest he would just toss or donate.
Appreciate 1
kanovic456.00
      10-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
you wont be able to sell it because any buyer will need traceability and sanitary conditions so if its damaged it has no value,

based on state laws you might be able to dispose of it in a regulars landfill, although this is unlikely and needs to be disposed in what is called a sanitary landfill where you get some hospital/industrial Nonhazardous waste.

if you want to find a cool use for it: mix some of the powder with drano
LOL, JK don't do that
So the actually product was not damaged the pallets hit each other and basically collapsed and the receiver refused it. The shipped is getting paid for the damage from his cargo insurance and his insurance is telling him to do whatever he wants with it or find someone who will take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Umm...shouldn't he have had a MSDS, material safety data sheet, with him when he took on that load?
Don’t think so bc it’s not a hazmat item.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Google says -
Sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP), its acidic form is used with sodium bicarbonate as a leavening agent in bakery products while the basic type is used as an emulsifier in processed cheese.

If it was damaged in an accident and is normally used as an ingredient for foods and for human consumption, it can't be sold. He should check with his shipper, they probably have rules that it must be destroyed due to food safety issues.
Shipped doesn’t care because they are getting paid for it from his cargo insurance. It’s not technically for human consumption the labels says used for baking,cosmetic,animal feed, etc.. I read the google thing too but still don’t really know what it’s used for lol
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #10
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Thats no fun. My step-dad is a truck driver, often facilities would mess up loading him and the next place will refuse the load. When frozen or refrigerated the company often just tells him to keep it or dispose of it without charge. Hell at one point we had a full freezer of Klondike bars, this was like a decade or more ago and I think we still have some left over. Sometimes we would get some real good expensive cheeses, whip cream, tons of frozen goodies, etc etc. Rest he would just toss or donate.
That’s what I was telling him why couldn’t it be bmw wheels or something useful lol. I know one time he had 2 pallets of watermelons that’s was kinda cool we jist passed it out to everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
Shipped doesn’t care because they are getting paid for it from his cargo insurance. It’s not technically for human consumption the labels says used for baking,cosmetic,animal feed, etc.. I read the google thing too but still don’t really know what it’s used for lol
If it is used for baking or even animal feed, there are contamination concerns. I’m very surprised the shipper doesn’t care. IF it was contaminated, sold and used there could be liability issues should someone get sick. Lot numbers would be traced back to shipper as all this info is captured during the manufacturing process. So either it isn’t used as an ingredient, or the insurance company is talking out their ass on their own. They represent the truck, not the shipper. I’m in the business and do food and beverage. In the case of an accident or even a broken seal on a trailer it’s big doings from a product integrity standpoint. In case of an accident, product is normally inspected by a QC representative from shipper and if ok, they will take and put back into inventory which reduces the amount of the claim or order freight destroyed at an approved facility so they know it’s not making its way to consumers where they can potentially be sued.

Selling damaged food products is a no no. Let’s say a load of beverages in glass bottles was in an accident. Shipper is paid by cargo insurance but trucking company sells product and it makes its way to someone to consumers. There are glass fragments in the bottle. A consumer drinks and gets glass fragments in their throat. Shipper gets sued big time. There are normal strict policies in place regarding refused products.
Appreciate 1
kanovic456.00
      10-28-2021, 10:47 PM   #12
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
If it is used for baking or even animal feed, there are contamination concerns. I’m very surprised the shipper doesn’t care. IF it was contaminated, sold and used there could be liability issues should someone get sick. Lot numbers would be traced back to shipper as all this info is captured during the manufacturing process. So either it isn’t used as an ingredient, or the insurance company is talking out their ass on their own. They represent the truck, not the shipper. I’m in the business and do food and beverage. In the case of an accident or even a broken seal on a trailer it’s big doings from a product integrity standpoint. In case of an accident, product is normally inspected by a QC representative from shipper and if ok, they will take and put back into inventory which reduces the amount of the claim or order freight destroyed at an approved facility so they know it’s not making its way to consumers where they can potentially be sued.

Selling damaged food products is a no no. Let’s say a load of beverages in glass bottles was in an accident. Shipper is paid by cargo insurance but trucking company sells product and it makes its way to someone to consumers. There are glass fragments in the bottle. A consumer drinks and gets glass fragments in their throat. Shipper gets sued big time. There are normal strict policies in place regarding refused products.
I agree with what your saying. I found it weird myself, at first shipper wanted back but obvious truck is damnaged and no way to take it to and I guess they don’t want to pay for someone to get it. So according to progressive they are going to pay the shipper for the damaged goods and as of
Right now anyway they told basically do what you want with it .
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #13
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Chemist...what, like legally?
Appreciate 0