BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

M6 Gran Coupe confused need advice

Hey guys

Since 2001 I have owned BMWs ,I haven't been active on the forums but need a little advice

So about a 1-1/2 ago I was deciding to get a weekend car/daily drivable car, my 3 choices were GTR,M5,E63s. I decided with the 2014 Merc due to comfort and awd system,Its a really nice car but I don't feel the same as I get when im in the Beemers,Its seems like I have a love hate relationship with this car. Its the seat positions, arm rest height, and I like to sit low in cars and the seat doesnt drop deep enough for my liking, it doesnt have a sporty feel, very sluggish trans and this will take away good experience from any HP car.Plus with the awd it gets great traction but it does get boring

So I have been looking at 2014-2016 gran coupes,will trade in the Merc, Im looking for Alpine white and Sakhir orange,I seen a few but no competition pack!

What are the must haves before I purchase one?

Is the competition package a must(differences?)? How does the ride quality compare to Base?

Thanks guys im sure I will have more questions for you when I think of them
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

In my opinion every option is necessary especially competition package. I have everything except carbon ceramic brakes and I’m upset I didn’t choose one with them. If you’re going to get a car of this nature why slump on the little things. You won’t realize you need it until you drive a car with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I would stay away from CCB unless you plan on tracking car.... when you have to replace they will be very expensive....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymalu View Post
I would stay away from CCB unless you plan on tracking car.... when you have to replace they will be very expensive....
If you don’t track the car they’ll last longer than most people keep thee cars for.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Firstly, here's the official description on what the differences in ZCP is with base: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975

I also concur that getting Competition Package is a must, at least from a resale perspective. ZCP adds material differences to the M6. It won't "increase" the value of the car but, it'll certainly make it easier to sell with little to no pricing concessions later on. The major difference you'll feel is actually the steering. The steering ratio has been tightened, and from people who've driven both versions, it feels more direct and connected (less input results in greater wheel direction change).

The rest of the ZCP differences are just "paper gains" and serves as bragging rights. The HP gain is virtually unusable as it is only on the upper RPMs. The lower ride height is unnoticeable even to an enthusiast owner like myself. But you will notice the more aggressive exhaust notes.

Other than ZCP, wheel style, and trim style, from my search, I've notice that the rare options are CCBs, 6MT, and night vision. For the most part every M6 was custom built with:
1. B&O
2. Executive Package
3. Driver's Assistance Package

It'll actually be an odd ball if it didn't have one of the listed packages above. You should note though, the leather options came with "Extended" or "Full". "Full" is leather on the dashes, door panels, knee areas, etc.

Also, I drive a ZCP car, I don't think the suspension tuning is too aggressive for the street. It's very comfy and to even more comfy than my prior M3 on 19 inch wheels.

If you hate the Merc's driving position, then you'll love the M6's. It's a much lower seating position, but the large size of the car will give you the impression that you have a lot of car around you. You'll be super cautious in parking lots, making U turns, etc.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-12-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Firstly, here's the official description on what the differences in ZCP is with base: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873975

I also concur that getting Competition Package is a must, at least from a resale perspective. ZCP adds material differences to the M6. It won't "increase" the value of the car but, it'll certainly make it easier to sell with little to no pricing concessions later on. The major difference you'll feel is actually the steering. The steering ratio has been tightened, and from people who've driven both versions, it feels more direct and connected (less input results in greater wheel direction change).

The rest of the ZCP differences are just "paper gains" and serves as bragging rights. The HP gain is virtually unusable as it is only on the upper RPMs. The lower ride height is unnoticeable even to an enthusiast owner like myself. But you will notice the more aggressive exhaust notes.

Other than ZCP, wheel style, and trim style, from my search, I've notice that the rare options are CCBs, 6MT, and night vision. For the most part every M6 was custom built with:
1. B&O
2. Executive Package
3. Driver's Assistance Package

It'll actually be an odd ball if it didn't have one of the listed packages above. You should note though, the leather options came with "Extended" or "Full". "Full" is leather on the dashes, door panels, knee areas, etc.

Also, I drive a ZCP car, I don't think the suspension tuning is too aggressive for the street. It's very comfy and to even more comfy than my prior M3 on 19 inch wheels.

If you hate the Merc's driving position, then you'll love the M6's. It's a much lower seating position, but the large size of the car will give you the impression that you have a lot of car around you. You'll be super cautious in parking lots, making U turns, etc.

Thank you all for the insight,OK so I have been on the right track, the carbon ceramics won't be a deal breaker but the competition package will.

I was also wondering about the sakhir orange interior vs black , how are they wearing ,I do like black interior but I really want the Sakhir ,but im afraid it might look bad as it wears, I would think black leather would be easier to repair.

I really don't hate the driving position im just not completely happy with it , I had a 2015 535xi I was leasing the same time I had the e63s, and this is when I really noticed the difference when I would drive the cars back to back, even the 330 sport wagon has good seating position.

I guess it would be safe to say Merc is a luxury sports car ,where Beemer is a sport luxury car if that makes any sense,the hunt continues.Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

^ well, if you've ever cross shopped the similar models across Audi, BMW, and Merc, you can tell by driving that BMW tends to be the better driving car. It's not always the case, but it has been in my experiences driving the entry level sedans and SUVs.

Anyways, with CCBs, there's another consideration, which would be your ownership horizon. As others have said, without tracking the car, CCBs will last the lifetime of your ownership...except, you have to understand what lifetime means. I think lifetime is actually somewhere around 70k-80k miles.

That's great if you're buying or leasing a brand new M6 and getting out after 4 years and 40k miles. But it's another thing when you're buying a used car with already 40k miles on it.

So basically, calculate whether in your ownership horizon, you'll be hitting 70k-80k mileage. If you will be getting close, I advise you to stay away from CCBs. Even if you don't pay for the replacement, you'll have to convince your next buyer to pay the $12k replacement cost and it WILL HIT YOUR DEPRECIATION at that time.
      04-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
^ well, if you've ever cross shopped the similar models across Audi, BMW, and Merc, you can tell by driving that BMW tends to be the better driving car. It's not always the case, but it has been in my experiences driving the entry level sedans and SUVs.

Anyways, with CCBs, there's another consideration, which would be your ownership horizon. As others have said, without tracking the car, CCBs will last the lifetime of your ownership...except, you have to understand what lifetime means. I think lifetime is actually somewhere around 70k-80k miles.

That's great if you're buying or leasing a brand new M6 and getting out after 4 years and 40k miles. But it's another thing when you're buying a used car with already 40k miles on it.

So basically, calculate whether in your ownership horizon, you'll be hitting 70k-80k mileage. If you will be getting close, I advise you to stay away from CCBs. Even if you don't pay for the replacement, you'll have to convince your next buyer to pay the $12k replacement cost and it WILL HIT YOUR DEPRECIATION at that time.
Or buy the service contract for 2500or so. Well worth it whether you have CCB’s or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
Or buy the service contract for 2500or so. Well worth it whether you have CCB’s or not.
haha...we'd all hope BMW is that dumb. CCBs are NOT covered under the maintenance plan, original nor extended.

04-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yeah but there is perks with CCB ,looks cool, wheels stay clean ,they don't rust ,great stopping power, but like you said thats a lot green backs for a brake change
I would also be nervous taking a wheel off, one slip you can crack/chip a rotor that would suck.

Right now my main goal is Alpine white /sakhir interior carbon trim,competition package,B&O sound system ,Its funny though with this combo none of the cars I seen have competition package, All the Alpine wht with CP have black interior
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
haha...we'd all hope BMW is that dumb. CCBs are NOT covered under the maintenance plan, original nor extended.

Well that sucks! I enjoyed having a $4,000 brake job done on my car for free. Wouldn’t want to pay 12k!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Im Still on the look out for a M6 Grand coupe! I test drove a couple and love the car ,Im getting anxious
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC BSM/SO

I ended up getting an M6 without ZCP as I wanted the SO interior.... I'll be honest I could not tell a difference between a ZCP car and non-ZCP, except the black exhaust tips. I'm a fairly observant driver, have had many performance cars in my lifetime and just could not tell a driving difference between them. I do not regret not having ZCP as I can modify my exhaust and I can get a tune that beats the base ZCP if that becomes an issue for me.
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      05-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #14
Rosho808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Im Still on the look out for a M6 Grand coupe! I test drove a couple and love the car ,Im getting anxious
Just hang in there it took me 4 months of looking but I got the exact car I wanted which happens to be what your looking for. Only thing my car doesn't have is CCB's which I didn't want anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll View Post
I ended up getting an M6 without ZCP as I wanted the SO interior.... I'll be honest I could not tell a difference between a ZCP car and non-ZCP, except the black exhaust tips. I'm a fairly observant driver, have had many performance cars in my lifetime and just could not tell a driving difference between them. I do not regret not having ZCP as I can modify my exhaust and I can get a tune that beats the base ZCP if that becomes an issue for me.
I'm with you - bought a used non-zcp with everything else, including B&O, CCB, extended leather and night vision, in the colors I wanted. Switched to akra exhaust and haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #16
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I almost went non zcp I decided not to, I think I would rather give up the B&O and full leather for a competition car ,the Harman Kardon system in my 535 was pretty damn good,The CP offers a lot with the sharper steering rack,M rear Diff,differnt suspension etc for this kind of car anything performance related im more interested in.In my E63s I really never put the radio on always listening to that exhaust note
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #17
Rosho808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

To the OP if your still looking and have access to a wholesaler/Dealer Sutton Motorsport has this one posted up and they are trying to wholesale it for $55.8K

VIN
WBS6C9C50FD467944
Odometer
38,735 mi
Exterior / Interior
White / Black
Seller
SUTTON MOTORSPORTS

https://www.suttonmotorsports.com/vi...entorysearch=1

Last edited by Rosho808; 06-01-2018 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: adding link
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #18
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosho808 View Post
To the OP if your still looking and have access to a wholesaler/Dealer Sutton Motorsport has this one posted up and they are trying to wholesale it for $55.8K

VIN
WBS6C9C50FD467944
Odometer
38,735 mi
Exterior / Interior
White / Black
Seller
SUTTON MOTORSPORTS

https://www.suttonmotorsports.com/vi...entorysearch=1
Thanks for the lookout and Looks like a clean car ,im looking something with lower milage ,I found a 2015 with 16kmiles, same car as you showed me but with no B&O and only black extended leather but carbon fiber trim going to take a look and see how clean it is ,thanks again keep them coming if you find anything else
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosho808 View Post
Just hang in there it took me 4 months of looking but I got the exact car I wanted which happens to be what your looking for. Only thing my car doesn't have is CCB's which I didn't want anyway.
Thanks ,I would love those CCBs but they scare me when the day will come, yeah sir you have to replace all your rotors ,ouch!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #20
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the lookout and Looks like a clean car ,im looking something with lower milage ,I found a 2015 with 16kmiles, same car as you showed me but with no B&O and only black extended leather but carbon fiber trim going to take a look and see how clean it is ,thanks again keep them coming if you find anything else
"Other damage reported". For a dealer car...pass.
      06-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...1445451&page=7
      06-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #22
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Don’t let the missing B&O become a stumbling block - for $3-4K you’ll get an after market setup that will blow any factory upgrade (B&O or other) out of this world... Just make sure you deal with an installer who knows what he is doing. More info on request.
Appreciate 0