BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
650idriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i Convertible

Should I sell my 650i

I have a 2014 650i M convertible that is straight eye candy. I bought it last year from a BMW dealership and so far it has been the greatest car ever- in my opinion.

I'm now reaching 100,000 miles and I'm surprised to say I'm not having that many problems as other people on this forum.

Asides from filling oil EVERY month, having a less strong drivetrain system (when my wheel hits a curb the drivetrain goes off sync so I have to turn off the car and start again), and my O2 sensor problem I need to get fixed right now, these have been small prices to pay for how this car drives, how it looks, and the amount of people that notice it and give me compliments (I'm not kidding, there's not a lot of these cars out there.)

So sadly, because used car prices are at an all time high in America right now, I am thinking if it is best to let go. It will be a very sad moment- but its just I don't know if the problems are going to stack on. I mean I have the bank to support it, but at a young age don't know if it is a smart financial decision to keep going.

Was wondering if anyone could provide feedback or suggest some great warranty plans that are hot right now.

Thanks.

A
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Used car prices may be high, but that does not mean much in your situation because the prices are driven by demand. The market for any 650 convertible, regardless of miles and model year, is very, very small. That's why they are rare. People think our cars are cool to look at, but they don't want to own one. You won't get any premium selling in this market just because it's a used car. There are just as many used ones for sale as there were pre-Covid. Whether it's a wise financial move to keep it because of repairs is a different question. If you daily it 100 miles to work then maybe something newer is better. But if you still like it, I'd hang on to it a while. You are close to bottom on the depreciation curve anyway and there are big transaction costs to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Sell it and buy what?
Something overpriced in the market?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

I just traded my 2013 650x convertible (38K miles) last week at an Audi dealership. They gave me $28K and sold it 3 days later for $36K. So I'd say the market for one seems pretty strong.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
I just traded my 2013 650x convertible (38K miles) last week at an Audi dealership. They gave me $28K and sold it 3 days later for $36K. So I'd say the market for one seems pretty strong.
Based on a data set of one sale? How do you know the actual selling price vs. the asking price? These cars often sit unsold for many weeks or months.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
That same dealer now has a poorly optioned 2014 650 Conv for $43,900. Wow! They have offered to buy mine multiple times.

L
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #7
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650idriver View Post
I have a 2014 650i M convertible that is straight eye candy. I bought it last year from a BMW dealership and so far it has been the greatest car ever- in my opinion.

I'm now reaching 100,000 miles and I'm surprised to say I'm not having that many problems as other people on this forum.

Asides from filling oil EVERY month, having a less strong drivetrain system (when my wheel hits a curb the drivetrain goes off sync so I have to turn off the car and start again), and my O2 sensor problem I need to get fixed right now, these have been small prices to pay for how this car drives, how it looks, and the amount of people that notice it and give me compliments (I'm not kidding, there's not a lot of these cars out there.)

So sadly, because used car prices are at an all time high in America right now, I am thinking if it is best to let go. It will be a very sad moment- but its just I don't know if the problems are going to stack on. I mean I have the bank to support it, but at a young age don't know if it is a smart financial decision to keep going.

Was wondering if anyone could provide feedback or suggest some great warranty plans that are hot right now.

Thanks.

A
Sell it privately, not to a dealer
Appreciate 0